New to TT....mistake on choice in Tow vehicle?? - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2016, 05:57 PM   #41

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
BTW this thread has gotten off the subject that the OP started
Just think Navy showers Imagine if you both take one at the same time You would use even less water OR MAYBE NOT but it would be fun

bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:02 PM   #42

Texas
Quote:
True. And I am the worst at doing that. But, clearly the OP has been gracious about it.

While I'm typing..........Jan, your shower is NOT plumbed to the black tank.

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #43

Tennessee
I was pretty certain it was plumbed to the grey tank. I may be new to this but I can read the owners manual and remember a few details from that long hot day on the dealers lot. Thanks Snakebitten!!
Hikergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:49 PM   #44

Tennessee
Quote:
Yes, but her original question has been thoroughly answered, and it's the internet.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:58 PM   #45

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Yes, but her original question has been thoroughly answered, and it's the internet.
I thoroughly agree that her question has been thoroughly answered and if so the thread should be closed. And being this is the forum any new subjects should be under a new thread dealing with that subject. That way anyone looking for information on showers may not be directed to a thread that was about a different subject.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:58 PM   #46

Tennessee
Thanks All!

Appreciate greatly all the info shared and the debate regarding the WDH and sway bar. Since we have already had it installed, we will utilize it for safety and just get out there and enjoy! Stay safe all and hope to meet you on the road in the future.
Thanks again!! Since I am new to this TT lifestyle, don't be surprised if you hear from me again if I can't find the answer in previous forum discussions.
Jan
Old 09-23-2016, 07:19 PM   #47

Pennsylvania
Jan it is and enjoyable lifestyle and can result in many great memories and hopefully no bad memories

And one way to also enjoy is to be involved with others share experiences and knowledge about the lifestyle.

All the best to you and many years of enjoying the lifestyle.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #48

Texas
Well, don't be strangers!
We 213'ers are a small but distinguished group.

If nothing else, report in with some pictures showing off the rig and the best spots you guys park it at.

Cheers
Bruce

(No thread is closed until the Submit button is missing. lol)
Old 09-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #49

California
Welcome Jan. On your first trip out buy "RV" with Robin Williams. You will learn a lot of the things NOT to do while RVing. Plus you will laugh until you side hurts.
My folks bought their first RV in 1961 and I marred a gal that grew-up with folks that had a truck camper. We both have memories of those times. Our kid have grown up with RVing also. My son has bought a used 5th wheel so we're just passing it down. I can tell you that the good memories will way out way the bad ones. Take it from some one that's RVed sense 1961.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:06 AM   #50

North Carolina
WEIGHTS
Average Shipping Weight (lbs.) 5,055
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs.) 556
Cargo Capacity (lbs.) 1,545
MEASUREMENTS
Height 11' 1''
Length 25' 8''
CAPACITIES
Fresh Water Capacity (gals.) 52
Black Water Capacity (gals.) 28
Grey Water Capacity (gals.) 39

Your trailer can be loaded to 6600# when tanks are full and your gear is in it. It will likely be heavier than that as well, and your tongue weight will be higher. That is a lot for a Tacoma and in theory the max trailer weight is over your truck's limit by 100 pounds.

Please tow safely.
WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:47 AM   #51

British Columbia
[QUOTE=snakebitten;45246]

I suppose I was made for the tinyhouse lifestyle long before it became popular, or I was aware that I was compatible.
(Shortly after making out my first will, and on paper, divvying up our life's accumulations amongst our children, I suddenly realized I really didn't care about all that stuff anyways. So, I told them they didn't have to wait until dad keeled over. Come and get it. Of course they have to brush-hog and pay the taxes\insurance now. Dad is free-to-travel! )

Snake,

We really got to get together and tell tall tales and lies around the campfire.

It took me 3 days laying in a hospital bed last weekend, to come to the realization that I have gotten less interested "he who dies with the most toys, wins" and bought into the "why have I got all this crap.

After careful consideration and consultation with DW, for about 2 minutes it was agreed that we would stay where we are settin' on top of our little peice of paradise. Get rid of all the "junk we been carrying around the accumulations of 48 years.

I get to keep my tools, welder, compressor, etc and DW keeps all her treasures, we down size the furniture, bathroom reno to get rid of trip tub and re-finish the exterior to zero maintenance and a little roof to cover the smoker and turkey friers.

We'll be camping when we're our stick house and the brick towbox. God willing and the river don't rise, we'll be spending more time in the sunny south and in the mid-west to find my roots on my momma's side. I've got some interesting stories and memories to put into persection.

Last weekend was like having the wait of the world lifted.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #52

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I can tell you that the good memories will way out way the bad ones. Take it from some one that's RVed sense 1961.
Mike,

And even the bad memories eventually become good ones and become great campfire foder.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:39 PM   #53

Texas
Jim,
I assure you I can relate to your recent "realization".
And I'm not surprised that it was catalyzed by the circumstances!

At the risk of unintentionally causing a somber air about this subject, and it is NOT the intention, my moment of realization took place on the side of a rural road, on Easter Sunday, two Easter's ago. My precious and amazing wife of 33 years breathed her last mortal breath in my arms. And in 1 second, all the silly things that were supposedly important, weren't. (traffic accident)

I had to learn to breath again.

If there is just one thing that I have accomplished over these some 2 1/2 years since, it is my relentless grip on "only things that are REALLY important, are important". It is a very finite list too! That I can assure you.

My kids word it as "dad doesn't care". Sounds worse than it actually means. But accurate as can be.

So, with that background data, as morbid as it might initially appear, I bet we do share some common outlook. And I suspect with a few others around here as well.

I'm up for sittin around a campfire and telling those tall tales if we were to cross paths! I've been known to spin a yarn or two.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:26 PM   #54

Tennessee
So....

I was encouraged to travel with the fresh water tank and also the others empty. I hike and am used to traveling light so curious if others do the same as far as the tanks? If we are going to an area that doesn't provide water and Electric that is a different story of course but in the instances where we will be going to a camp with water, will that not buy some room on the weight? Also, how long does the water stay safe in the fresh water tank. We will more than likely use it for showers and dishes, but I have read two weeks to four weeks and even some who just top it off and sanitize the tank twice a year. That sounds extreme to me but just curious what the opinion on both these issues are? And yes it is off topic to ask about the water safety but now that I have your attention...
Thanks,
Jan
Old 09-24-2016, 11:26 PM   #55

Montana
We strictly boondock and never leave home without full fresh and hot water tanks. While the weight of a full water tank is not insubstantial, it's not very much in the whole grand scheme of things. I hear it even helps the trailer tow better due to acting as a ballast. In my opinion, towing with an empty fresh water tank gains you absolutely nothing. Except for stress of finding water once you get there. We drink and cook from our fresh water tank too. Although we do use a Brita for cold water in the fridge. I also use a filter on the inlet when filling the fresh water tank. Sanitize once in the spring, but sometimes I don't even bother.
We try and dump our waste tanks after each camping trip.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:04 AM   #56

Tennessee
Ballast

Now that is something I hadn't thought of is it acting as a ballast. Thanks for your reply and considering the initial places we will be going as novices, we will start out where we have hook ups. However, many of the areas that I want to hike the trailheads do not. Such a learning curve!! It is kind of overwhelming to say the least.
Thanks again,
Jan
Old 09-25-2016, 12:06 AM   #57

Tennessee
My water tank has been dead empty for two years, always had water where we camp.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:17 AM   #58

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikergal View Post
I was encouraged to travel with the fresh water tank and also the others empty. I hike and am used to traveling light so curious if others do the same as far as the tanks? If we are going to an area that doesn't provide water and Electric that is a different story of course but in the instances where we will be going to a camp with water, will that not buy some room on the weight? Also, how long does the water stay safe in the fresh water tank. We will more than likely use it for showers and dishes, but I have read two weeks to four weeks and even some who just top it off and sanitize the tank twice a year. That sounds extreme to me but just curious what the opinion on both these issues are? And yes it is off topic to ask about the water safety but now that I have your attention...
Thanks,
Jan
This was our first summer of trailering so maybe my newbie experience can help. We went to several parks that didn't have water at the sites but did have somewhere to fill up when entering the park. We also did one stint of dry camping.

Normally we try to travel with just a few gallons in the water tank so we have a bit to flush the toilet if we stop somewhere on the way to rest. Otherwise we drain the tank after each camp. We just fill the tank upon entering each park. On our dry camping stop we filled the tank before traveling, I noticed no difference in the way the trailer handled when full.

We empty the waste tanks after each camp too.
WoodlawnDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #59

Tennessee
Thanks

Thanks for your response and that all sounds reasonable. Most of what we will initially be doing will have water but good idea to have some in the fresh tank for stops along the way. What are you pulling your TT with? Just curious as we are still fretting over our choice in tow vehicles.
Thanks,
Jan
Old 09-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #60

Illinois
Welcome to the Forum. Just my opinion, but if what you have is what you have and you're not in the market for something different; stop worrying and enjoy. If these guys on the Forum say you're good, take it to the bank. No sense in worrying over things you can't change. On the other hand, if you can change vehicles, go with the biggest you can afford and park. No one ever says I wish I got something smaller or less powerful when in comes to towing. Every one of us started out small, and slowly got bigger (some have even went back to small!).
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote