New to TT....mistake on choice in Tow vehicle?? - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2016, 12:15 AM   #21

Texas
I'm 60.....isssshhhh. So I'm down with being seen as senior.

Don't know if I'm "stuck" in any decade, but I absolutely admit to longing for a previous culture, one certainly in the past. Kinda partial to the John Wayne image portrayal, if you know what I mean pilgrim.

However, while I'm not offended in any way by a passionately opposed view to mine, I'll likely defend the scientific physics that a weight distribution hitch affords us. Most of us TT'ers anyways .

Tow without it. Then tow with it. (properly set up)
You might still feel it isn't $worth the money, but if you're honest about it, you will admit to a noticeable difference. Substantial even, if your load is in the upper %'s of capacity ratings. Again, it's physics. No different than a poorly loaded utility trailer vs a well balanced loaded utility trailer.

I will absolutely agree with you on these modern truck packages. We live in amazing times. These are fantastic vehicles.
But nothing they build can overcome the physics that are in play.

Great discussion. Excellent forum.

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:24 AM   #22

South Carolina
Folks, I could be wrong, but some of the numbers trouble me. Here's a car connections link which tells the following tale at the bottom of the page: Max Trailer Weight (with either dead weight or WD hitch) - 3500 lbs. Dead Hitch max weight 350lb. WD Hitch weight 525 lbs. (Seems Toyota knows the effect of a WD hitch). 2016 Toyota Tacoma Specs: 4WD Access Cab V6 AT SR5 Specifications
Meanwhile, the Dutchmen pages tells this story: Dry wt 5055 lbs, up to 6600 loaded. Tongue wt 556 empty, I'll presume about 600 Loaded.
These numbers do not bode well, even empty. I don't know how accurate or reliable car connections data might be. I would get more information, and yes, I use a WD on my 6600 lb trailer, even with my Nissan Titan. With it, the truck points straight. Without it, it points upward. Not much of a hassle, well worth it, IMHO!

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:26 AM   #23

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
Wow, How many times do I have to say do not overload your truck or trailer and you will not need a WDH it may be recommended but not needed, The old trucks of the 70's 80's and 90's are old technology and can not even compare to the new trucks of today. If you "feel" better then by all means go out and buy that WDH. You and I know they are not needed for safe towing with in limits of each truck. Just another way to make extra money for the RV dealers. If you have a overloaded truck and trailer with out a WDH when you put that WDH on your truck you will still have a overloaded truck and trailer the only difference now is you spent $500.00+ on a WDH. Does any of this makes sense to anyone?
http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/tow...-still-needed/
My truck's manual does recommend a WDH.
ewarnerusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:33 AM   #24
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
Wow, How many times do I have to say do not overload your truck or trailer and you will not need a WDH it may be recommended but not needed, The old trucks of the 70's 80's and 90's are old technology and can not even compare to the new trucks of today. If you "feel" better then by all means go out and buy that WDH. You and I know they are not needed for safe towing with in limits of each truck. Just another way to make extra money for the RV dealers. If you have a overloaded truck and trailer with out a WDH when you put that WDH on your truck you will still have a overloaded truck and trailer the only difference now is you spent $500.00+ on a WDH. Does any of this makes sense to anyone?
I looked at a 2016 Ford pickup the other day. The HITCH and the MANUAL both still have weight ratings with and without the WDH.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:34 AM   #25
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
I'm 60.....isssshhhh. So I'm down with being seen as senior.

Don't know if I'm "stuck" in any decade, but I absolutely admit to longing for a previous culture, one certainly in the past. Kinda partial to the John Wayne image portrayal, if you know what I mean pilgrim.

However, while I'm not offended in any way by a passionately opposed view to mine, I'll likely defend the scientific physics that a weight distribution hitch affords us. Most of us TT'ers anyways .

Tow without it. Then tow with it. (properly set up)
You might still feel it isn't $worth the money, but if you're honest about it, you will admit to a noticeable difference. Substantial even, if your load is in the upper %'s of capacity ratings. Again, it's physics. No different than a poorly loaded utility trailer vs a well balanced loaded utility trailer.

I will absolutely agree with you on these modern truck packages. We live in amazing times. These are fantastic vehicles.
But nothing they build can overcome the physics that are in play.

Great discussion. Excellent forum.
Break the laws of physics and you WILL be paying the price. Not to say that they are set in stone, but they are pretty solid for the most part. IOW what goes up must come down.

Aaron
Old 09-23-2016, 12:47 AM   #26

Florida
Wdh

Everyone who defends having a WDH has one. It just seems that most people overload the truck and trailer. I know how it feels to be sold a bill of goods. " If you like your Doctor you can keep your Doctor" " I did not send or receive any classified emails" " I did not have sexual relations with that women" You need a WDH or your family will not be safe.
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:04 AM   #27

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Folks, I could be wrong, but some of the numbers trouble me. Here's a car connections link which tells the following tale at the bottom of the page: Max Trailer Weight (with either dead weight or WD hitch) - 3500 lbs. Dead Hitch max weight 350lb. WD Hitch weight 525 lbs. (Seems Toyota knows the effect of a WD hitch). 2016 Toyota Tacoma Specs: 4WD Access Cab V6 AT SR5 Specifications
Meanwhile, the Dutchmen pages tells this story: Dry wt 5055 lbs, up to 6600 loaded. Tongue wt 556 empty, I'll presume about 600 Loaded.
These numbers do not bode well, even empty. I don't know how accurate or reliable car connections data might be. I would get more information, and yes, I use a WD on my 6600 lb trailer, even with my Nissan Titan. With it, the truck points straight. Without it, it points upward. Not much of a hassle, well worth it, IMHO!
Hi,
In our owners manual it shows that with the manufacturers installed towing package that was installed on this particular truck a GCWR of 11280 lbs and a TWR 6500 lb. We also have a WD installed with a sway bar that the RV dealer installed. I just have to hope this is adequate and drive safely, not overload. We just purchased both of these in the last six months and can't afford the loss we would incur if we traded it back in for a larger vehicle. Thanks for your concern though as we are also concerned about it or I would not have inquired. I just don't understand why the RV dealership was not more informative regarding this. The sales rep directed us to very few models that he said would be a fit for our vehicle. I guess I should be old enough to know not to trust vehicle salespeople!!
Hikergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:18 AM   #28
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikergal View Post
Hi,
In our owners manual it shows that with the manufacturers installed towing package that was installed on this particular truck a GCWR of 11280 lbs and a TWR 6500 lb. We also have a WD installed with a sway bar that the RV dealer installed. I just have to hope this is adequate and drive safely, not overload. We just purchased both of these in the last six months and can't afford the loss we would incur if we traded it back in for a larger vehicle. Thanks for your concern though as we are also concerned about it or I would not have inquired. I just don't understand why the RV dealership was not more informative regarding this. The sales rep directed us to very few models that he said would be a fit for our vehicle. I guess I should be old enough to know not to trust vehicle salespeople!!
I am hard as hell on sales people... Either know your product or get away from me. Unfortunately they get paid to sell. I have tried sales in the past, but failed because I am too honest.

Based on my knowlege of towing and real world experience I think you will probably be okay as long as you take it easy and aren't making any long haul trips. Which brand of hitch did they set you up with? And what weight bars?

FWIW I had to set my own hitch up again after the dealer did it because it was wrong. Just as an anecdote...

We were towing our Coleman 16FBS with a Ford F150. I had to haul it back to the dealer for some warranty work. When I went to pick it up I was driving my monster F-350. The service adviser wanted to know why I didn't hook up the WDH bars Truck weighs more than double what the trailer does.

Aaron

Old 09-23-2016, 01:27 AM   #29

Florida
New TT

You will be fine! You are with in the trucks limits. Plus you have the WDH, It will give you more confidence, although you did not need it. Your trailer only weighs 5,055 lbs. and you have 1,545 lbs of cargo you can load into it. I can almost promise you will not be able to load more than 700 lbs. in it. Just check tire pressure when cold, do not travel over 65 MPH and do not overload the truck payload. The most important thing is to go out and have FUN! Enjoy the outdoors Let Mother nature have her way with you! Stay out of the big cities if you can! Take the back roads enjoy the ride!
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:30 AM   #30

Tennessee
Thanks to all!!

Thanks to everyone for your advice and recommendations. Aaron, just as a side note, even though I consider myself a somewhat soft sell, my husband is much easier than me. When he gets that glean in his eye I know to drag him off to lunch or start complaining of an impending heart attack lol. About the only thing that will save him from a salesperson. I will update you all on how our first venture goes!
Old 09-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #31

Pennsylvania
read the attached link.

How to Weigh Your TV/TT - Jayco RV Owners Forum
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:02 AM   #32

Pennsylvania
google the following

how do you know if you need a weight distribution hitch
Old 09-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #33

Pennsylvania
Again this is my opinion

anyone that suggests that someone that does't need a wdh is giving some very bad advice. If that person takes that advice and get involved in any type of accident and it is determined that they should have had a wdh and because they didn't the ins. Co. Refuses to cover said accident then that person could possibley have a legal recourse to go after the person giving such advice
Old 09-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #34

Texas
Jan,

Regardless of the lively debate, some things we ALL agree on.

1. RV'ing is what it's all about. We share that passion. Obviously
2. Your current tow rig IS within the limits for the 213. It's the margin of error that is being discussed.

3. This one is the most important, in my mind anyways. You guys just acquired a WONDERFUL little house on wheels to enjoy many amazing and memorable adventures.

So, just be prudent while rolling, and don't let worry steal your joy!

By the way, every time you step in that amazing shower and soak under that awesome stream of hot water, in the middle of NOWHERE, grin, and know you have made a great choice!

Best shower in the business. (even if the door opens in the wrong direction) Lol
Old 09-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #35

Tennessee
Quote:
By the way, every time you step in that amazing shower and soak under that awesome stream of hot water, in the middle of NOWHERE, grin, and know you have made a great choice!

Best shower in the business. (even if the door opens in the wrong direction) Lol
Just don't stay in there for too long if you don't have full hookups, the gray water fills up fast when showering.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #36

Texas
dawniewest, you boondocking kill joy. LOL

OK, what he says is true. It's a boondocking issue.
You might have to hurry, but you can still spread out.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #37

Tennessee
Quote:
dawniewest, you boondocking kill joy. LOL

OK, what he says is true. It's a boondocking issue.
You might have to hurry, but you can still spread out.
Not boondocking, im talking about all these army corps of engineer campgrounds around here, hardly any hookups. I "may" have to do the occasional 2am dump.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:50 PM   #38

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Jan,

3. This one is the most important, in my mind anyways. You guys just acquired a WONDERFUL little house on wheels to enjoy many amazing and memorable adventures.

I have only been a member of this forum for a short time but in the past week or so I read a very interesting a disturbing post on this forum about the shower draining into the black tank on SOME Dutchman Models.

Now just imagine stepping into that amazing shower and finding yourself standing in there and the tank fills up and starts to back flow into the shower and now your ankle deep in the shower waste water and you feel something float past your feet. And you look down and see a O'HENRY bar floating in the same water your standing in and upon further observation you see its not a candy bar.

"Best shower in the business" I don't think so but now you really need a shower and nowhere to get one.

I am to new to post the link but it was in the past week or so.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #39

Tennessee
Navy Showers

Thanks for the encouragement! Much needed after yesterday but feeling better today. My husband was in the USN so he knows how to take a Navy shower lol. And I am pretty water conscious after leaving Southern CA where we had $200 month water bills. Liquid gold we called it. I can't imagine how high it would be now after such a prolonged drought. When we got our first water bill in TN we thought there was a billing error!! A nice surprise there but we are still very aware of water as a precious resource not to be wasted. Now just thinking of all the places I want to check out!! A friend just came over to check it out and said she thought she could live in it. The "Gypsy in Me" (love me some Bonnie Raitt) agrees and is anxious to get on the road.
Jan
Old 09-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #40

Pennsylvania
BTW this thread has gotten off the subject that the OP started