New here :) Aerolite 282dbhs - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 11:32 PM   #1

Ontario
New here :) Aerolite 282dbhs

HI guys, I have been creeping this site while we were in the decision and negotiation phase of our purchase. We finally picked her up last Friday and literally THAT day took her out camping for 4 days! Love love the rig!

We are new to the slide option so my question is, has anyone purchased those awning toppers. What kind and are they necessary.

Anything else I should look out for with the 2015 282dbhs. We did see a big gush of water come out of the underbelly when we hooked up to leave the campground. My dealership said to watch and if it happens again, there is probably a leak in a line somewhere. We came from a Jayco 17 foot hybrid, this is totally different. I don't have to close beds anymore

WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:44 AM   #2

British Columbia
Slide toppers are a great way to keep leaves, cones, branches and related trash off the slide, so you can close them without worrying about getting up to sweep or as one poster does uses a leaf blower to get the stuff off.

Shop around and find the best deal up can, there are lots of them online and some good deals to be had. I don't think one brand is particularly better than the other, but others may have a different opinion on the brands.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #3

Ontario
Thanks hddecker! I am going to give her a quick measure and look around to see what is out there. As we are both from Canada, you know we have to look a wee bit more for the sweet deals! haha Nothing is cheap here and when we do find the cheap deal in the US, shipping, customs and duty make up for the savings! o.O
Old 07-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASABI View Post
Thanks hddecker! I am going to give her a quick measure and look around to see what is out there. As we are both from Canada, you know we have to look a wee bit more for the sweet deals! haha Nothing is cheap here and when we do find the cheap deal in the US, shipping, customs and duty make up for the savings! o.O
You could always order them from a US supplier and plan a trip across the line to pick them up.

I still get a lot of stuff from the US, it is a bit more work, because you have to shop for the right deal, then you have to consider who they ship with. If you can find a supplier that will ship with FEDEX or USPS it's not bad, they don't charge the unserious gobrokerage fees that UPS charges. You still pay the HST regardless of who the carrier is.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #5

Ontario
Thinking about it! I heard just sending things via standard post was a good option too! Again, its random though. Sometimes I get things delivered and I pay zero and other times Im not so lucky.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #6

British Columbia
I know what you mean about random, but I'm so far ahead they will never catch up.

I bought a bunch of parts for my truck a few months back. I save a hockey sock full of cash by buying them online from the US and to sweeten the pot they all arrived with no GST/PST. You gotta love that
Old 07-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #7

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
I know what you mean about random, but I'm so far ahead they will never catch up.

I bought a bunch of parts for my truck a few months back. I save a hockey sock full of cash by buying them online from the US and to sweeten the pot they all arrived with no GST/PST. You gotta love that
TIRES! I need some new LT tires, priced them out here in Toronto, wow oh wow. I should drive over to Buffalo.

I order from Camping World sometimes and they do send all their stuff UPS. I get dinged each and every time.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:33 AM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
TIRES! I need some new LT tires, priced them out here in Toronto, wow oh wow. I should drive over to Buffalo.

I order from Camping World sometimes and they do send all their stuff UPS. I get dinged each and every time.
We do get burned on tires in Canada, I could buy the same tires I bought for the TT in Canada for less than half the price. I would check with the taxman on how tires are assessed, If they are made in North America they should only be subject to HST.

Most of the stuff I buy online is from RV stores that I find on a search or ebay and I will always check on the carrier before I buy.

Here's another source that may be available for you, I went to town today and stopped in at the auto supply store that I deal with and while I was there I asked if they had a source for RV parts. The parts guy reached under the counter and pulled out a catalogue for RV parts.

So now I will check the online prices with shipping, the call them to see what I can get the parts for through them.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #9

Tennessee
My dealer told me slide covers are a waste of money. He said that stuff will still get under them and that you still have to check them every time you put it in. He did say that he didn't mind taking my $450 though. I can easily brush mine off from a small step ladder.
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:12 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
My dealer told me slide covers are a waste of money. He said that stuff will still get under them and that you still have to check them every time you put it in. He did say that he didn't mind taking my $450 though. I can easily brush mine off from a small step ladder.
Your dealer is correct stuff can still get in there. If you are lucky enough to have a slide on the short side of the covers measurement, it helps a great deal.

I like them because they keep the rain off the slide roof, it seemed like every time we had rain, I would be outside getting stuff ready to go and the slide would start going in. Any water that was standing on the slide would be on the carpet in the camper.

Sounds like your dealer might be a keeper.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:35 PM   #11

Tennessee
Never thought of the rain factor, this is our first slide out camper. Dang, now i'm torn. Our dealer is awesome, never even pushed the extended warranty.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:15 AM   #12

Ontario
Quote:
Never thought of the rain factor, this is our first slide out camper. Dang, now i'm torn. Our dealer is awesome, never even pushed the extended warranty.
your dealer sounds like mine. Didn't push anything at all. I am reading about these awning toppers from forums lol

Now my last dealership (Jayco)..they added soooo much to my final bill. $1600.00 extended warranty as well. As newbies we just thought that is what it costs. Oh how wrong we were.

My Aerolite dealer, cost of trailer, minus the cost of the trade in, license transfer fee ($10.00) and our lovely taxes. That is it..that is all!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:51 AM   #13

Tennessee
Nice, we literally saved $7000 by going to this dealer. Dropped our loan to 120 instead of 144, interest went from 8.5 TO 4.9. Hopefully their after sales service is as good, a few cosmetic problems popping up.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:57 AM   #14

Ontario
Quote:
Nice, we literally saved $7000 by going to this dealer. Dropped our loan to 120 instead of 144, interest went from 8.5 TO 4.9. Hopefully their after sales service is as good, a few cosmetic problems popping up.
That is awesome! My dealership gave the best price on the phone for our unit. No monkey business. I like that. He really worked for us. When we picked up our unit, the mechanic came in and greeted us. All greased up in his work clothes. Did our PDI, installed our WDH etc... turns out, not a mechanic...he owns the dealership! Its not a small dealership either.

As a few people mentioned on this forum, all these units doesn't matter what make, model or manufacturer are all the same quality etc... Mass produced. What is key, a good dealership.

My sales guy told me to watch for EVERY little thing and bring it in without hesitation. He wants to ensure everything is covered before our warranty runs out. I like that My old dealership, they were awesome during the sales process. After sales customer service sucked!
Old 07-29-2014, 02:27 AM   #15
Site Team

North Carolina
I have had a couple of fivers in the past and loved the slide toppers. I can see where they might be an issue, but I never had any problems with mine. They kept the excess heat off the slides when we were in AZ. Snow, rain and leaves when we were on the East Coast.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:57 AM   #16

Ontario
Quote:
That is awesome! My dealership gave the best price on the phone for our unit. No monkey business. I like that. He really worked for us. When we picked up our unit, the mechanic came in and greeted us. All greased up in his work clothes. Did our PDI, installed our WDH etc... turns out, not a mechanic...he owns the dealership! Its not a small dealership either.

As a few people mentioned on this forum, all these units doesn't matter what make, model or manufacturer are all the same quality etc... Mass produced. What is key, a good dealership.

My sales guy told me to watch for EVERY little thing and bring it in without hesitation. He wants to ensure everything is covered before our warranty runs out. I like that My old dealership, they were awesome during the sales process. After sales customer service sucked!
What dealership did you buy from. We got ours from Lovesick Lake RV in Burleigh Falls. Theyare 2 hours away from us, but we'll worth the trip.
Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:07 AM   #17

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adair1965 View Post
What dealership did you buy from. We got ours from Lovesick Lake RV in Burleigh Falls. Theyare 2 hours away from us, but we'll worth the trip.
Toronto Camping Center. My sales guy is Andrew. Older Scottish man. Vito is the owner, guy is never in the sales office, always out back repairing rigs.

I was looking at seasonal sites at Lovesick. Catch, you don't buy from them, you don't get into their park. I hate that
Old 07-29-2014, 03:31 AM   #18

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adair1965 View Post
I also called the dealership in Grand Bend. He was 4k plus more for a 2014 model. I said oh wow, you are thousands more than the dealership in Toronto for an older model. Instead of him saying, OK well we can see what numbers we can come up with. First response....well go buy it in Toronto then! lol Didn't call them back.

Kitchener dealership, they couldn't be bothered to answer any of my questions. I am not driving hours for nothing. It was quite easy to qualify the dealers over the phone. Toronto Camping Center, Andrew was amazing from the first phone call. Had a wee bit of an issue after we took the rig out for the first time, boom, he called me right back. I like him. As much as dealerships are important, the sales people are key also.

My old dealership, you would swear half these sales guys found the cure for cancer. Egos the size of the trailers they are selling LOL
Old 07-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #19

Delaware
I have the same unit (2014) and we love it. We had some issues, and I added a slide topper to mine. You could check my mod post (but the pictures on this website seem to come and go) or look at my site in my signature. I did the install myself. Happy Camping.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:28 PM   #20

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by prm99v6 View Post
I have the same unit (2014) and we love it. We had some issues, and I added a slide topper to mine. You could check my mod post (but the pictures on this website seem to come and go) or look at my site in my signature. I did the install myself. Happy Camping.
Thanks for the reply, what kind did you end up getting. I did see some of your mods and your rig while I was in the decision making process. Looks good!

My husband can install, I am just wondering where would be the best place to buy it. How long did the install take you

Last question, where would I find the dimensions for the slide out. My trailer is in storage when not in use.