Mud Flaps Anyone? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2015, 04:24 PM   #1

Oklahoma
Mud Flaps Anyone?

Has anyone added mud flaps onto their travel trailer? I've been researching this and find many solutions for adding something the tow vehicle. I'm going to do it to the Aerolite though just behind the rear most tires on each side. I'm heading out to a trucking supply shop today to purchase the black rubber mudflaps. They have bolt holes in the tops of them apparently so I'll have to figure out a bracket hanging system and a place to mount them to the bottom of the rig. We don't want to be "those people" you drive behind that spray your car. Plus it will have an aesthetic look to have the tire area appear a little wider than it is now (those single tires look awfully out of proportion to the trailer when following the coach. Function and a little form here I hope. I'll post photos (before and after) when done this weekend.

desertbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:57 PM   #2

Florida
I like your idea. And being the heavy duty truck flaps they might even offer some protection in the even of a blow out. But as always happens when I think something is a good idea, some one will chime in and tell us why its not. LOL

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:44 PM   #3

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
but as always happens when i think something is a good idea, some one will chime in and tell us why its not. Lol
^^^^^ lol
Heywodja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #4

Oklahoma
I found this weekend that rocks are collecting behind the wheels in the body. While hooking up my gas connection for the outside kitchen, i hit the body panel and a bunch of rocks bounced out. Long story short, need mud flaps!
Old 09-28-2015, 05:27 PM   #5

Tennessee
I find these highly appropriate for an RV mudflap.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:15 PM   #6

British Columbia
I installed them on ours the week it arrived. Our last trailer didn't have them and the waste gates and plumbing took a beating, not this time.

Cheers
Daryl B.
grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:33 AM   #7

Oklahoma
Mudflaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grump010 View Post
I installed them on ours the week it arrived. Our last trailer didn't have them and the waste gates and plumbing took a beating, not this time.

Cheers
Daryl B.
Hi Daryl/Grump: Would you send a photo of what you ended up doing? I had a hard time finding anything that would actually mount under there. Did you have to custom make the brackets? How far back behind the tire did you install them? Thanks in advance.

Art
Old 10-02-2015, 01:38 AM   #8

British Columbia
Certainly will, give me a day or two to get to storage to take pictures and get them posted. I mounted them about 8 to 12 inches behind the back tires, but the pictures should tell the story.

Cheers
Daryl B.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbuilder View Post
Has anyone added mud flaps onto their travel trailer? I've been researching this and find many solutions for adding something the tow vehicle. I'm going to do it to the Aerolite though just behind the rear most tires on each side. I'm heading out to a trucking supply shop today to purchase the black rubber mudflaps. They have bolt holes in the tops of them apparently so I'll have to figure out a bracket hanging system and a place to mount them to the bottom of the rig. We don't want to be "those people" you drive behind that spray your car. Plus it will have an aesthetic look to have the tire area appear a little wider than it is now (those single tires look awfully out of proportion to the trailer when following the coach. Function and a little form here I hope. I'll post photos (before and after) when done this weekend.
While your at the truck store, check the mounts that the tractors have for the rear wheels.

They only mount to the frame and have a "spring" action to them. You may be able to cut them down to fit inside your wheel well. Less muss and fuss and a simple install with self tapping bolts.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:57 AM   #10

British Columbia
Here are the Pics Art, I made an L shaped bracket that is bolted to the Floor to Frame support bracket and then bolted the mudflap to the L bracket. I've put about 20000 kms on this setup on both asphalt and gravel and they are no worse for wear than the day I installed them.
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1 resize.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	2589

Name:	rear view bolts.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	2590

Name:	rear view resize.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	2591

Name:	rear view2 resize.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	2592

Name:	side resize.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	2593

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbuilder View Post
Hi Daryl/Grump: Would you send a photo of what you ended up doing? I had a hard time finding anything that would actually mount under there. Did you have to custom make the brackets? How far back behind the tire did you install them? Thanks in advance.

Art
Old 10-05-2015, 03:02 AM   #11

Alberta
great idea. thats my next add on for sure
1958 Mooney M20A
russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
I was thinking it would be a good idea... especially after this weekend! We had to pull our camper out of a very muddy venue, I think in some places it was over 12" deep.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I was thinking it would be a good idea... especially after this weekend! We had to pull our camper out of a very muddy venue, I think in some places it was over 12" deep.

Aaron
Aaron,

Doing a little agricultural towing were you.

I'm pretty sure that our last off asphalt excursion was the beginning of the end of the shackles that broke. No mud, but them ruts. Brought to mind an old saying I heard when I was a kid, "Pick your rut carefully, your gonna be in it for a long time". An hour later and managed 11 miles.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #14

Oklahoma
Not sure how to post an image on here?
Old 02-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #15

Oklahoma
Update: Mudguards/Flaps Installed

Here is what I ended up with. Thanks for the input along the way folks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mudguard and Mudflap.pdf (513.0 KB, 118 views)