Loud/screeching metal sound when towing 213RBSL - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2017, 03:22 AM   #1

Arizona
Loud/screeching metal sound when towing 213RBSL

I am a new RV owner and have taken my 2017 Aerolite 213RBSL out three times so far. We use Equalizer sway bars when towing. I noticed that after we have been towing for about an hour and start to make turns, I think the next state over can hear a loud metal on metal sound coming from our trailer during each turn. I talked to the service guy and he said it is normal. I don't think it seems to be normal because literally everyone in the campground looks and stares at us when we pull in and I have not heard any other rig sound nearly as loud as ours. Has anybody else experienced this and, if so, any advice? Thanks!!!

MichelleW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:04 AM   #2

North Carolina
1. Did you grease the tow ball? I put a liberal amount of bearing grease on the ball before every tow. I use a tub of grease with a disposable popsicle stick from the craft store.

2. If it is an E2/Equalizer hitch you will get some metal on metal sound in tight turns at low speed. You are not supposed to grease them as greaseless provides a form of friction based sway control.

If you want to know for sure it is your bars making the noise you can spray that area down real good with WD-40. That WD-40 will last long enough to tell you that is where the sound is coming from, but not long enough to actually provide any long term lubrication there... which you down't want.

WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:08 PM   #3

Tennessee
I'd bet money It's your wdh bars(if you have the type that lock up into the receiver), squirt a little WD-40 on them and the ball. If you have sway control, maybe it's way overtight, don't lube that! I was told to just tighten it until the stud attached to the handle is flush with the nut on the back. It's totally normal for those setups to make a little noise, especially on tight turns.

I always loosen my sway control before going into a campground. Once you cure the squeak with WD-40, you can decide if you want to, 1- use that every trip, 2-let it squeal, or 3-grease it with automotive grease and have it all over your pant legs for the rest of your life.

I use WD-40 exclusively, it will easily last a trip and I just reapply before the next one.
I'm not talented enough to slop grease all over everything and not get it on myself. I have tossed two pair of shorts from rubbing up against a greased hitch.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:14 AM   #4

Texas
I'm with these guys. You're hearing your anti-sway mechanism complain. Actually proves it is working.

However, it could be adjusted TOO tight. Depending on what brand\type, there are different methods of adjusting antisway devices. You may need to fetch the manual for yours and try to reduce the anti-sway force.

Like dawniewest, I either remove or release mine before backing up.

(I have 2 different kinds)
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:43 PM   #5

Michigan
I'd read this bulletin from Equalizer and follow their instructions. As you can see, WD-40 is not an approved lubricant to use. I bought the Equalizer lube last year, and put a dab of it on my hitch before every use, and the noise is still prevalent at times, but not all the time like it was previously.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/blog/...al-i-zer-hitch
Old 08-01-2017, 03:07 PM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefboggum View Post
I'd read this bulletin from Equalizer and follow their instructions. As you can see, WD-40 is not an approved lubricant to use. I bought the Equalizer lube last year, and put a dab of it on my hitch before every use, and the noise is still prevalent at times, but not all the time like it was previously.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/blog/...al-i-zer-hitch
Of course they sell their own brand of lube. WD-40 is by no means the best choice, but we are not talking wheel bearings here, just some simple friction. All of my trips are under 75 miles in length, it's super quiet and my bar ends still have the paint on them. I sit in my chair at the campground on Friday night and watch the weekend warriors pile in, i'd say 75% of them use nothing, the noise is staggering.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #7

North Carolina
I recommended WD-40 as a temporary test on the bars to prove it was the bars. Mainly because WD-40 sucks as a lubricant and would only last long enough to see/isolate where the noise was coming from.

Again... For the ball, white lithium grease is commonly recommended, though ANY heavy grease will work well.

For the bars where they slide up into the hitch assembly at the tow vehicle I use a spray lubricant specifically made to stick and not run. .. Again, WD-40 is not a lubricant regardless of what people claim... It is good for short term, but not long term lube.... Considering what the WD in WD-40 stands for.

When I unhook it is a pretty simple task to wipe the ball clean with a paper towel and also wipe the bars clean from where they bend up to the end of the bar that goes into the hitch socket.
WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:15 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
Mainly because WD-40 sucks as a lubricant
And I thought the WD stood for weight distribution, that's why I was using it.
Your point is taken and is correct, however, it's what I have in the garage and it works for me. I suppose I could try some of my slide lube on it, but that stuff is expensive.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:55 AM   #9

Idaho
Sway Bar

I am new to the RV life but I like to think I catch on quickly, Sometimes. The incredible noise is your swaybar. What I was told and I believe it makes sense. It is basically a brake and what you are hearing are the brake pads rubbing together and they are loud and annoying. Loosen them up and they wil be less bothersome. BUT if you are concerned about trailering at high speeds and having your rig trying to pass you.
IGNORE it. I would rather be embarrassed everytime I pull into a camp site by the noise than looking in my mirror and seeing the entire side of my camper trying to pass me.
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:43 AM   #10

South Carolina
At every place we go, we have to stop and check in before we get to our site. That's when you loosen the sway bar. Tight for highway, loose for maneuvering.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:17 PM   #11

Nevada
Weird noises!

I just read the posts above on the noise with equalizer hitches, I am not new to towing but I am new to the travel trailer world, we have always had 5th wheel trailers. When we brought it home from the dealer (they set up hitch), the noise made me very concerned, now I am looking for the corrective measures! Will spray white lithium grease work? Any help please!
rscozzens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:13 AM   #12

South Carolina
Most of everything already said is correct. Personally, I use regular bearing grease on the ball hitch, and the two small balls on either side of the sway bar. But, as mentioned, not the friction part itself! For me, the best amount of tightness is a one-handed twist on the tightening bar. I also try to loosen the friction when maneuvering, particularly backing in to a camp site.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:40 PM   #13

Wisconsin
All good advice above. However, different make and models work differently. There are adjustable friction bar attachments. Some WDH use a pair of spring bars rubbing against a saddle on each side. Better ones have a sway control mechanism that is very quiet.

What make and model do you have?

Cheap light weight WDH use metal on metal friction. They make noise. Grease reduces noise, but also reduces sway control. Use it if it works. Follow WDH manufacturers instructions for reducing noise.

Keep your eye out for the beginnings of sway while towing fast. Do not use tow vehicle breaks when sway occurs. Use the manual electric break control to stop sway and then lower your cruising speed.

Practice with the electric break control before you have an incident. Learning while in a panic situation is not optimal.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:12 AM   #14

Nevada
Thank you, using the Equilizer hitch 10k
rscozzens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:58 AM   #15

Wisconsin
90-00-1000 - 1,000 lb. max tongue weight / 10,000 lb. max trailer weight

Lots of good info on the equalizer website. It says multiple places to grease the ball and the friction pivot sockets on the hitch head. Do not grease the L brackets attached to the trailer "A" frame. Use a good grade of bearing grease. There are other maintenance tips. Dealers often do a lousy job of greasing or informing new owners of how to maintain.

6K-14K Model Owner's Manual
https://www.equalizerhitch.com/manua...-owners-manual
90-00-0600 - 600 lb. max tongue weight / 6,000 lb. max trailer weight
90-00-1000 - 1,000 lb. max tongue weight / 10,000 lb. max trailer weight
90-00-1200 - 1,200 lb. max tongue weight / 12,000 lb. max trailer weight
90-00-1400 - 1,400 lb. max tongue weight / 14,000 lb. max trailer weight
SC works through the connection between your spring arms and L-brackets, and between the sockets and hitch head. The Equal-i-zer hitch takes advantage of the steel-on-steel friction generated at these points to help reduce trailer sway.
This added friction makes it much more difficult for the trailer to sway side-to-side while its being towed, as sometimes happens when you encounter a gust of wind or a passing semi. When set up well and properly adjusted for your load, the Equal-i-zer will noticeably reduce sway.
Friction surfaces of the head and sockets should be cleaned and lubricated with a good quality multi-purpose or bearing grease before each trip. This includes the hitch ball. Lubricate the surfaces where the arm sockets rub against the top and bottom plates of the head. (Figure 27) Do not lubricate the swing arms or L-brackets. We recommend Equal-i-zer high performance lubricant. (part # 91-00-4250)
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:07 AM   #16

Texas
I hated my Equalizer, Blue Ox SwayPro is a vast improvement.