Looking at the kodiak 279 rbsl - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #1

Missouri
Looking at the kodiak 279 rbsl

My wife and I are new to this forum,but can't get enough of it. So much good info! We are currently looking at the Kodiak 279 rbsl. does anyone have any thoughts or info(good or bad) on this unit? I hope I don't offend anyone,but what is up with the new counter top colors. We are not fond of that white swirl pattern. Makes it look cheap, IMO.
Thanks for any and all comments.

Retusps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:14 AM   #2

Ontario
Looks like a nice floor plan for a couple. The bathroom looks big.

Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #3

Saskatchewan
Greetings Retusps from wintery Saskatchewan, welcome to the forum. I've already been out blowing the snow this morning so we can go to church later. It's only December and I'm already sick of snow and cold weather.
I like the floor plan of the 279rbsl, it's very similar to our 242resl. You had asked for some things to watch for, here is my list of a few: Akurate tires (I'm replacing mine in the spring) do a search on this Forum and you'll see the problems, any wasted space in cupboards (I had two huge cupboards that needed extra shelves put in to make them useful), carefully look at how things are made - my bench seat was made with 2X2's which had huge knots and was poorly stapled.
Good luck on your search for an RV. Please ask your questions here before you make your purchase.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #4

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
Greetings Retusps from wintery Saskatchewan, welcome to the forum. I've already been out blowing the snow this morning so we can go to church later. It's only December and I'm already sick of snow and cold weather.
I like the floor plan of the 279rbsl, it's very similar to our 242resl. You had asked for some things to watch for, here is my list of a few: Akurate tires (I'm replacing mine in the spring) do a search on this Forum and you'll see the problems, any wasted space in cupboards (I had two huge cupboards that needed extra shelves put in to make them useful), carefully look at how things are made - my bench seat was made with 2X2's which had huge knots and was poorly stapled.
Good luck on your search for an RV. Please ask your questions here before you make your purchase.
Kayakcrazy, thanks for the info. I forgot to ask if anyone has bought the rv reviews and if the info is worth the $$$? We have stayed in rv's,(that's how we fell inlove with rv'ing) but this will be our first purchase. Hard to thin the herd.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:15 AM   #5

Ontario
I don't if I'd pay money for the reviews. I think the best thing to to go to the rv shows and spend a lot of time looking at what you like, then hit the dealers for a really through inspection. Thats what the wife and I did. And we ending up getting a 2014 Kodiak 291resl because it suited our needs best. Toronto, Ontario has 3 shows, one in February, March then September. Lots of chances to look. The forums are a good place to ask questions as well. There are forums for all the manufacturers. Lots of good info to be found.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #6

Missouri
We looked at the 291 and liked it,but not the weight. Looking for something around 6000#. How long have you had your 291 and how has it held up? What is the weight of your unit?

You see dead people? I hear voices,and recognize most of them
Old 12-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #7

Ontario
We brought it at the end of November and before I signed I spent an 1.5 hrs at the dealership going over it carefully. The dealer even had it indoors for me so it was already and functioning. All systems worked great and no leaks any where. They even winterized it for me beforeI left so I could see how it was done. the factory weight, fully loaded is 6357 lbs, 200 less then the listed weight. Plus they tossed it a weight distribution hitch at no cost. The cost over all was cheaper up here in Ontario then anywhere I searched in the upper U.S states or the rest of Ontario. They're storing it free for the spring and are tossing in a free weekend campsite at their own park when we pick it up in April or May.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #8

Missouri
  • 6357# is lighter than the one we looked at. I'm towing with a 2006 GMC 1/2 ton,7400 rating. Just me and my wife,but we do have STUFF. DW was ready to sign on the 291,but I was a little leary of the weight +our stuff. Thanks for the help.
  • p.s. How did you get them to throw in the hitch?
Old 12-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #9

Ontario
Part of the price. My wife loved the wraparound kitchen counter and they new sable interior colour. Private message me if want to know the cost. Im also curious about the private of what your looking at in your part of the states.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #10

Washington
We have a 279RBSL. We got it last June (2014 model). We had several very bad water leaks in the supply plumbing. They occured right after delivery and before we took any trips. The water filled the belly liner of the TT and the dealer had to come to our house, cut the liner to get the water out and tow it back. He ended up replacing the entire supply plumbing. It turned out that the crimper that attached the PEX pipe at the factory had a bad blade and the crimps were all defective. The dealer replaced all of the plumbing and the belly pan.

We love the unit. The layout is nearly perfect for us. I need a longer mattress! Last summer we put some foam pillows between the wall and the mattress and that pushed it out about 6". That was a big help. I plan to replace the bottom of the bed platform this spring and get a full queen 80" long mattress.

I installed two flat screens and by using an infrared repeater and a HD video splitter lets us watch our Dish Tailgater on either or both screens. We love the bathroom! We did have some shower pan leakage too over the summer. Water would come out during and after a shower and get on the bathroom floor. The dealer found that the shower was off level and fixed it.

In summary, the trailer is well built and the floor plan is just what we want. The Kodiak quality control leaves something to be desired, but the dealer's service department and the Kodiak customer service/warranty department is excellent and honorable. If I had to do it again, I would buy the same camper.
Seattle Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #11

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adair1965 View Post
We brought it at the end of November and before I signed I spent an 1.5 hrs at the dealership going over it carefully. The dealer even had it indoors for me so it was already and functioning. All systems worked great and no leaks any where. They even winterized it for me beforeI left so I could see how it was done. the factory weight, fully loaded is 6357 lbs, 200 less then the listed weight. Plus they tossed it a weight distribution hitch at no cost. The cost over all was cheaper up here in Ontario then anywhere I searched in the upper U.S states or the rest of Ontario. They're storing it free for the spring and are tossing in a free weekend campsite at their own park when we pick it up in April or May.
Ours had a delivered weight (dry but weighed by Kodiak including propane tanks) was 6029. I am wondering why yours is so much heavier.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:51 PM   #12

Ontario
I guess it depends on what extras it came with from the factory. Mine has the upgraded 15,000 btu air conditioner, ladder etc.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #13

Ontario
Our TT is the 291 resl, which is slightly bigger that the 279.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #14

Washington
Quote:
I guess it depends on what extras it came with from the factory. Mine has the upgraded 15,000 btu air conditioner, ladder etc.
Can you send a picture of the back with the ladder? My dealer said they can't add one...but if you have one from the factory, he can add it.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #15

Ontario
I'm not sure but I think the bracing for the ladder has to be installed at the time they build the unit. But here's a picture of mine unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	291resl back.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	801  
Old 01-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #16

Washington
Thanks! My camper has a different back. There is a window smack in the middle. I guess we need to carry an extension ladder. I like your floor plan. Very nice. We didn't see that model when we were shopping.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #17

Ontario
Our choice was between your model and the 291. The 291 won out due to the L shaped counter and the 2014 "Sable" interior. The washroom in the 279 is huge though.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #18

Washington
That's why we loved the 279. Our interior is not my favorite. We got rid of the couch/sleeper and replaced it with two IKEA (Poang) chairs and ottomans. Way more comfortable and we don't need to sleep more than two. I really like your interior a lot more than ours. If we had seen your camper, we almost certainly would have bought it instead of the 279. I love the entertainment center and the comfy chairs. We do like our kitchen island a lot. Tons of counter space and a huge pantry.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:51 PM   #19

Ontario
The entertainment centre is what sold me on the 291. I'm going to love those recliners.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:17 AM   #20

Delaware
Quote:
I'm not sure but I think the bracing for the ladder has to be installed at the time they build the unit. But here's a picture of mine unit.
I called Dutchmen about my Aerolite and was told that the interior structure is not in place if the ladder did not come one the unit. Don't know if the Kodiak is different but I would think not.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote