Leak From Under Toilet In Kodiak Ultra - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2021, 07:25 PM   #1

Oregon
Leak From Under Toilet In Kodiak Ultra

Just got our 2017 Kodiak Ultra out of storage and dewinterized it. There appears to be a slight leak coming out from under the toilet. I have checked the connections around it and see nothing leaking water and I have flushed it several times while looking for leaks but again, I can't see any obvious source for the water. So, I'm going to have to pull the toilet to see what is going on (I seem to remember a bit of a leak last year around the same time and situation but it stopped and didn't reoccur until now). Perhaps it's a seal that has dried out a bit over the off season and then leaks until it once again softens up.

Regardless, I need to investigate. My question is what do I need to be prepared to replace when I pull the toilet? Turning off the water supply and loosening the side bolts seems pretty straight forward but when I look in from the front, where the flush pedal is, there appears to be a somewhat standard plastic flange fastened to the floor and then a foam ring which sits in that and which the toilet then sits into. There is no wax ring as in a residential toilet. Will I need to have a new foam ring ready to put in place or is there possibly something else amiss?

We were planning on taking it up to our son's farm for the weekend, and likely still will. Will just turn off the water to the toilet and not use it while up there and then plan on making repairs Monday.

Researchhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:41 PM   #2

Washington
I had a similar problem with my Kodiak UL after it sat for several months. After flushing the toilet a couple of times there was no leak and I have just let it be. As you indicate it may be a "dry" seal that when it gets wet it reseals itself. I would advise not pulling the toilet unless the leak persists, RnRing the toilet can create other issues. Sometimes, the best fix is no fix.

Logging the miles in the USA. Adventure awaits around every corner.
kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:51 AM   #3

Illinois
Are you sure it's leaking where it's seated in the floor? My valve would occasionally leak, getting the floor wet. Couldn't see where it was coming from, but definitely leaking from the valve. 15 minute fix for $20. Just a suggestion.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:39 PM   #4

Oregon
No, not sure where it is a actually leaking from but not seeing or feeling any leak from further up the toilet from where hoses connect or components are located. Just though@ replacing the seal would be the simplest thing to go for at first.

With that said, it has now stopped leaking so not sure what is actually going on except my thought about a seal that dries out, gets wet, and then swells enough to seal once again.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:56 AM   #5

Pennsylvania
Man I jaded a leak for days. Pulled the hopper, new valve. Nothing! Turned out to be when we flushed it there was overspray hitting the bottom of the seat and running down the bowl. Little less heavy on the pedal.
Lagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 06:55 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlarson View Post
I had a similar problem with my Kodiak UL after it sat for several months. After flushing the toilet a couple of times there was no leak and I have just let it be. As you indicate it may be a "dry" seal that when it gets wet it reseals itself. I would advise not pulling the toilet unless the leak persists, RnRing the toilet can create other issues. Sometimes, the best fix is no fix.

We had a leak around the base of the toilet in our old (2010) Kodiak which we bought used about six months ago. It had sat in the barn for several months before we used it a couple of days ago, and had the leak. I thought I would have to replace the seal, but reading this thread made me think that maybe it had just dried up and needed to get wet and expand. So we tried that today (at home again) and I think that has solved the problem. So many thanks for the analysis (thanks to several people, of course).

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 04:44 PM   #7

Oregon
Follow up on this issue:
After undergoing several more starts to the season where the leak showed up then disappeared, I bought a gasket kit from the dealer, pulled the toilet and replaced the gasket. No more leaks so I’m pleased I went ahead and made the repair. Any water at all that is showing up where it shouldn’t freaks me out so glad the problem is fixed.