Kodiak Cub Owners? - Page 11 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2021, 03:35 PM   #201

California
Each of my solar ports have a + and - wire and they both, after stopping in the pass through storage, continue on to the battery. The only difference in the + is that both + stop at a bus bar and one continues on toward the battery. So then, behind my battery box are two white (negative) and one positive zip tied and are ready for connection to the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210101_082815.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	6597  

Dmo732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:35 AM   #202

California
^ *breaker not bus bar.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #203

Florida
Those wires definitely are only for attempting to maintain battery and not for anything much, I would say!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:21 PM   #204

California
I believe it's meant for the go power overlander kit. I wouldn't expect a 2awg wire to be in there from the manufacturer. But theres no harm in using the wire route to run a thicker gauge, if you'd like.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:35 PM   #205

Georgia
Kodiak cub 175 BH Solar Wiring

I am planning to install Solar Panel on the roof (I got GrapeSolar 200W kit and have existing 400W inverter (in future, will upgrade), planning on buying 2 lifepo4 100AH battery).

My Question are regarding the wiring:
1) How to pull the cable from the panel on roof, to RV inside for connecting the charge controller (installed inside RV and easily visible.)
2) Pull cable from Charge Controller to the Battery (Installed on the tongue)
3) Connecting Inverter to the battery and related wiring.

Also, how can I leverage the existing 12V wiring. Any suggestion? I am open to moving the battery and inverter to inside the passthrough storage, under the front queen bed.

I saw the rough wiring diagram from 'persistent' (Thank you) for possible interconnect.

In My Kodiak cub 175BH the converter is under the stove top, between refrigerator and sink on the other side. Will it make sense to move the Battery and inverter under the Sink, right next to converter? I will upload the layout for my trailer.

Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2020_Dutchmen_KodiakCub_175BH.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	6754  
aruntipingiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:37 PM   #206

Wisconsin
Solar Install

Some newer Cub owner's have reported a pre-wired solar connection on the roof. Use it if you have one.

A 200 watt solar panel can produce 17 amps at peak power. 12 gauge wire from the panel to the solar charge controller should do the trick. 10 gauge would be more efficient. 10 gauge wire from charge controller to nearby batteries would make for efficient battery charging.

Consider routing through the roof into top front storage cabinet and wardrobe into front pass through. Lithium or AGM batteries could be located inside the pass through.

Flooded cell batteries need to stay outside unless sealed battery boxes and proper venting to outside is provided.

Use proper roof sealant. Most hardware and Walmart stuff will cause future problems.

Go through the pass through floor front right to get to the batteries on the tongue. At this spot you would not have to get into the enclosed underbelly.

An alternative route would be through the roof into the microwave cabinet or refrigerator cabinet to the converter charger under the stove top. My Cub has 6 gauge wire from converter charger to front battery box. Connect the solar charger output to that.

An upgraded inverter would be better off very close to the battery bank. A 1000 watt inverter needs short 6 gauge wire to carry 90 amps. A 400 watt needs at least 10 gauge and would be better with 8 gauge to the near by battery.

If there is room under the sink you could put Lithium or AGM under the sink along with the upgraded inverter and solar charger. Route your solar through the roof into kitchen cabinets in this case.

Install fuses or circuit breakers as per solar controller and inverter installation instructions.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:54 AM   #207

Alberta
New Dometic Hot Water Heaters - Drain Cap

Folks,

The new 2021 Dometic Hot Water Heaters in the 2021 Cub 175 BH have Drain Caps, instead of Plugs.

Any idea where You can buy spare Hex Drain Caps?

I like to have a couple of Spares; just in case.

Thank You.
Tug Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:08 PM   #208

Wisconsin
The hex head plugs are standard plumbing hardware. I purchased replacement nylon plugs at a local hardware store.

I expect the caps are the same. Here in Beaver Dam, WI we have a local chain, Fleet Farm, that has endless adapters, caps, plugs, fitting, valves, etc. in brass, nylon, iron, and all kinds of plastic.

I assume there is something similar in your area.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Old 06-08-2021, 03:49 PM   #209

Alberta
That is the issue; most places have the Plugs; nobody seems to carry the caps. a few places have caps, but are rounded. No way to tighten a rounded cap in the location; Hex is required.

I was hoping someone had found a supply of Dometic Hex Caps; does not seem to be any available.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:47 PM   #210

Wisconsin
Plumbing stuff is endless. Without a picture of the cap, I can not help you.
Old 09-03-2021, 03:34 AM   #211

Alberta
The new 2021 Kodiak CCun 175BH Trailers come with a long narrow Window above the SInk / Stove area?

Has anyone installed a Vlind in this area?

In the narrow area above the Window, is there a particular area bettere to screw into then elsewhere?

How have folks affixed their Blinds in this area?

Thank You.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:30 PM   #212

Wisconsin
I can't figure out what a CCun is or what a Vlind blind is.

I have a 2018 Kodiak cub. It has thin paneling on aluminum studs. Many small screws provide enough strength for most things.

I have not tried to hit an aluminum stud, but it would probably not be in the place I needed support if I did.

5 small flat head screws in a small patch. Two larger screws through panel and patch to hold what ever.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1869.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	7065  
Old 09-04-2021, 03:28 AM   #213

California
Hello, just bought a 2015 Dutchmen Kodiak express ultra lite 223RBSL

I have always had inboard Boats for outdoor life, sold the boat and now with the kids gone out on their own it's time for The wife and I to enjoy outdoor life in our second home.
Here in Northern Californy it is also nice to know if a forest fire chase's us out of the house we can just hop in the truck and take off with our home on wheels.
We took it on our first outing to a small lake near the home to break it in.
We learned what to bring and what not to bring, leveling blocks were a challenge, they kept sliding backing on to them.
Now we are planning to go to Bryce canyon NP, and Zion NP.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210716_194303.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	7068   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210716_133826.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	7069  
trucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:23 AM   #214

California
I guess this is in the wrong section, so I'll move it .
I thought this was a cub for kodiak.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:45 AM   #215

Wyoming
Always have water

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWP127 View Post
No one?????
We do. Mostly over concerns about availability and quality of water. where we go camping. We usually carry more “drinking” water, frozen in the freezer and refrigerator.
Kinwyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 06:33 PM   #216

Nevada
Congratulations. I recently bought a used 2018 Kodiak cub 175BH.
Do you use a generator with it? If so, which make and model? I am looking for one that can run the air conditioning, lighting, entertainment, functions, and other small things. I could probably live without using the microwave and AC simultaneously. I’m just looking for a good generator that gets the job done, but without being needlessly large as we do not have a huge tow vehicle.
areshecub175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 07:10 PM   #217

California
Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by areshecub175 View Post
Congratulations. I recently bought a used 2018 Kodiak cub 175BH.
Do you use a generator with it? If so, which make and model? I am looking for one that can run the air conditioning, lighting, entertainment, functions, and other small things. I could probably live without using the microwave and AC simultaneously. I’m just looking for a good generator that gets the job done, but without being needlessly large as we do not have a huge tow vehicle.
I use a W3300IE Firman inverter Generator.
3300 startup watts
3000 running watts
Electric start or Pull
Gas for fuel
It runs air conditioner, lights, entertainment center, refrigerator and a cell charger.
This is on a 2016 22ft Dutchman Kodiak
Happy trails

Name:	20221023_115419.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	7490
Old 10-23-2022, 07:17 PM   #218

Nevada
Oh wow. And yours is 5 feet long so I assume you’re running a larger AC unit too. Should work well for me as well. I’ll double check my specs and check out this generator. Thanks!!
areshecub175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 07:21 PM   #219

Washington
Generator

I have a 2200 Yamaha - I added a soft start to my aC so I can run the AC with the 2200 - usually you would need a 3500 generator- if you need the microwave just turn the ac off, use the mw then switch the ac back on.
Works great - small and quite!
TK on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 07:24 PM   #220

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by areshecub175 View Post
Oh wow. And yours is 5 feet long so I assume you’re running a larger AC unit too. Should work well for me as well. I’ll double check my specs and check out this generator. Thanks!!
5 ft long?
The air conditioner is 13500 btu