Kodiak 263 Shower - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #1

Kodiak 263 Shower

Greetiings all. I have returned my 2012 Kodiak 3 times for a leaking shower. I am destined to pick it up again on October 1st after being gutted and repaired for the 3rd time and having been in the shop for the past almost 7 weeks. Can you imagine a new unit going through so much hassle? Having owned 2 other TT and one fifth wheel by a different manufacurtes I never had anything close to this type or repair/hassle. The shower pan construction was a sight for sore eyes and I am hoping the "repairs" this time meet my standards as compared to my prior rigs.

Wondered if anybody else had experienced such a problem and what was your solution to the issue.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #2

Re: Kodiak 263 Shower

Yes, my 263 has a leaking shower that I will be testing again this next weekend to see if it is fixed (or not). It appeared that some of the sealant on the shower frame had cracked allowing water to enter and drip into the bottom channel which had a rather large opening that had not been caulked properly. Since the dealer where I bought the unit is 5 hours away, I tackled the job myself so we will see. I did take off the front panel of the shower pan and was less than impressed. The shower pan floor near the door is especially flimsy and since I am a fairly large guy at 245, I will be putting some reinforcement underneath that portion of the floor. I am very pleased with the majority of the Kodiak but the shower does indeed seem lesser quality in terms of construction and materials.

BigBoyjack b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #3

South Carolina
Re: Kodiak 263 Shower

My 2011 263 has the same leaking shower problem. I figured the issue was me at 225 lbs as my wife has no problems. You mentioned the pan was flimsy and you added support. Did you take any pics of this mod. ? Sure would be helpful.
jagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #4

I have not done the modification yet, but it appears simply putting a 2x4 about 10-12 inches long right at the front edge between the door and the drain would do the trick. Just theory at this point and I have already the my 263 in storage so it will be warmer weather before I actually do the work. My other sealing job worked perfectly and at least I do not have any more leaks at this point. For reference I am 245 and my wife is 125 so I notice the floor weakness much more than she does.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagster View Post
My 2011 263 has the same leaking shower problem. I figured the issue was me at 225 lbs as my wife has no problems. You mentioned the pan was flimsy and you added support. Did you take any pics of this mod. ? Sure would be helpful.
I don;t think it is weight thats the problem, it is poor design. I'll try and get a few shots of what they did. It is much more solid now and I'll have to test the repairs next year s I am winterized. Sorry for the pate response, I spilled coffee over the laptop.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #6

Been there on the coffee spill!! Thanks for the info. Yes, please send photos if you can. I agree it is a poor design and in my case, there is absolutely nothing under the floor between the drain and the shower surround which is where it "gives" the most when I am standing in it.