Kodiak 172e power question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #1

New York
Question Kodiak 172e power question

We have put a small deposit and are planning on the purchase of a new 172e soon. Probably should have thought this through before and now I am wondering just what will we be able to run while boon-docking? I know the fridge will and that the air conditioner will definitely not, but what about hot water? Anything else I'm not thinking of? Last year we bought a brand-new 2,000 watt Honda generator and can't think about upgrading right now.
Thanks

Old 03-30-2014, 02:38 PM   #2

Utah
You can see my Honda Genny in the pic. We usually go out for 7 - 10 day and I rely on little Genny for now . Have purchased all the solar goodies just need to find the time to install. But to answer your question. I can run all my lights, t.v. ,radio, refrigerator, and microwave. How ever I did pull out the microwave that came with the trailer and put a smaller one in that takes less juice. We have little kids and being able to heat food up in a few seconds can really effect the next hour of serenity. I've never even attempted to run the a.c while hooked to her.. also when im running the Genny I switch the refrigerator from gas to auto to save on the propane than switch it back to gas when the Genny is off. I always rely on propane for hot water. So for me the a.c. is the only thing I cant use. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130928_091143.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	873  

bcs slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #3

Wyoming
The fridge should automatically change between electric and gas unless you put the switch in Gas mode. A/C uses 20 amps to start so your 2000 watt genset shouldn't be used. You can get quick start capacitors for the A/C units and then the genset would work fine but could only run the A/C.
For boondocking you might want to look at swapping all your light bulbs to LED, that would make a huge difference. Solar panels are also an option but be sure to get a panel capable of 100 or more watts.
Your hot water will run on propane, don't run it on the generator as you don't know when it's running so you could overload if other things are going at the same time.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #4

New York
Thanks for the info