Help - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2016, 04:21 AM   #1

Texas
Help

This is my second post and please forgive me for asking the same question😬
Last week I put $500.00 dollars down on a Kodiak 299 BHSL EXPRESS. If I back out, I'll loose the $500.00 dollars.
I've read nothing but horror stories here concerning the Dutchmen models for the most part.
Should I eat the $500.00 or take my chances?
Thanks!

RPTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #2

Illinois
Someone else just posted a similar question, and I'll reply the same. Unless you are ready to drop some big money, like $175,000, they are all built the same with the same quality control, same parts, and even in the same state. Dutchmen is no better or worse. Search any forum on any model and you will see people complaining about the quality of their unit. Very few people speak up when they are happy. Frankly, I've had very few issues with my unit, and while under warranty, Dutchmen addressed all my issues satisfactorily. Besides, if you get a Dutchmen, you can stay on this forum and they very smart guys (present company excluded) can help you with any issues that do arise. LOL. Final words of advise; Do a thorough PDI before signing the check. Also you'll find bigger issues with the dealers than the builders.

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #3

Tennessee
I've never been on any forum relating to ownership of a vehicle or RV where it wasn't a complaint fest. This is where you come for help and advice to get you through any small issues you may have.

You either love to camp or you don't. I had my air conditioner, refrigerator, and bathroom counter top replaced in the first year of ownership. None of which was Dutchmans fault, but all were replaced without hassle from our dealer. The dealer you choose is far more important than the RV brand you buy.

I have done several things to our camper that I didn't feel were up to my standards, but in hindsight (I have some good anger related threads on here) it was a good learning experience and we don't regret our purchase for one minute.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:47 PM   #4

Idaho
I have to agree with what has been said. I dont have a kodiak but I do have a dutchmen product that we purchased new in march of 2015. I have only had one issue, a cracked p-trap in the shower drain and it was taken care of with out a question. I'm willing to bet that you will find the same issues with any manufacturer you go with, they all use the same products. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
The Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #5

Texas
Thanks. I'll more than likely finish up on the deal this coming week. I've been out of town and thus the $500.00 down to hold the trailer.

I was about to purchase a model manufactured by Forest River (Rockwood) from a high volume dealer. We had worked the details out and the dealer agreed to call me back but never did (Fun Town of Cleburne Tx).
I located the Kodiak in Fort Worth. It' was laid out almost in an identical fashion as the Rockwood was.
However, the Rockwood really appeared to be of a higher quality.
I've checked with the BBB and Ripp-Off Report online concerning both dealerships.
United RV came out fine with only 5 complaints and all of those were resolved quickly.
Fun Town, pretty ugly.
Again after reading about what people were saying concerning the Dutchmen series and the lack of support from Thor Industries, we were ready to kill the deal last night.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:05 PM   #6

Tennessee
They're right!

I was going to give you my two cents, but the responses you've already gotten are spot on! I can't speak to the model you're buying, but we're in our 4th season with our Kodiak 221RBSL and are quite pleased. We've been out west twice and to Maine once. The Natchez Trace, Niagara Falls and the Outer Banks, as well as less ambitious outings. We're on our second set of tires, so we're more than "occasional" campers.

Have we had any problems? Sure. As one respondent said, the quality at this price point is pretty similar, so you can expect a few (hopefully minor) issues. As another pointed out, the DEALER is probably more important than the brand in this type of equipment. Overall, we love our Kodiak and have so far been pleased with our dealer support (Holman Motors, Batavia, OH).

Wishing you good luck with your new rig!

2013 Kodiak 253RBSL - 2004 Ford Expedition
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:44 AM   #7

Arizona
He have a Kodiak 255BHSL and love it.

The Epic RV Adventures of the Karlin Family
www.campfireshenanigans.com
skarlin1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #8

Maryland
We love our 300BHSL and couldn't be happier.

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:14 PM   #9

California
On your new rig, The pre delivery inspection is the most important part of the whole deal. Take you time. Make them show you how and that everything works. There are a lot of "forms" here and other sites. Keep good records on any work done. Our trailer is fine no real issues.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:45 PM   #10

Wisconsin
We are in our third year with a Kodiak 186. We have had a few issues but nothing major. Like others have said for the price point the units are very good. We have made a few modifications some of them learned from this forum. Little things to make the camping experience more enjoyable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPTexas View Post
This is my second post and please forgive me for asking the same question😬
Last week I put $500.00 dollars down on a Kodiak 299 BHSL EXPRESS. If I back out, I'll loose the $500.00 dollars.
I've read nothing but horror stories here concerning the Dutchmen models for the most part.
Should I eat the $500.00 or take my chances?
Thanks!
Howard10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:01 AM   #11

Texas
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm going to find the PDI check list and take it with me. I will probably preform the PDI on Thursday (I hope).