First Trip - 221 RBSL - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2013, 03:19 AM   #1

Tennessee
First Trip - 221 RBSL

What can I say? A week out on a 7 week, 5,500-mile trip and so far we love it, love it LOVE IT! We're managing quite nicely with our 16 year-old granddaughter along. When it's just mama and me, it'll be AMAZING! Quite a comfort jump from our Casita (which we loved, but let go in the interest of more room). Everything is working as advertised so far. We'll keep ya posted.

2013 Kodiak 253RBSL - 2004 Ford Expedition
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #2

California
Sounds like fun Bob, looking forward to my own trip later this summer, Canada and back again. It's always more fun when everything works, and when it doesn't, then you make use of that extra time you gave yourself and thank your foresight for bringing, extras-tools, supplies, etc. Be safe and have fun.

Jlew127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #3

Tennessee
Thanks, Jlew!
I actually fudged a little.... I did have a drawer latch fail. The pivot pin in the over-center mechanism let go allowing the over-center pieces to come out. I took it off and figured it out and replaced the pin with an extra-long 1/8" pop-rivet (pull-pin removed). Used a backing washer (original pin had none.. likely the root cause of the fail) and did an 8-point stake with a phillips-head screwdriver. A fine field fix if I do say so myself. I expect it to outlast the other originals. I won't blame Dutchmen for this one except perhaps their choice of hardware vendors....

Old 08-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #4

Tennessee
Well, we're about 6 weeks and 4,000 miles into the trip and so far, so good. A few minor disappointments, such as the braces under the dinette seat being half-a$$ stapled and the screw in the center of the shower drain screen being a ferrous-metal that was making a beautiful rust-brown spot in the middle of the screen (replaced with stainless from Ace Hardware - 40 cents). Not especially surprising, but disappointing, nonetheless. Little stuff aside, though, I'm well pleased at this point. All the serious stuff is working great! After we get back to TN (another 2,000 miles) and a brief pause, we're headed to Maine and back. I should pretty well have my opinions formed by then. I'll keep you posted!