Disc Brake Conversion - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #1

Florida
Disc Brake Conversion

Hello, I am interested in getting some feedback from anyone who has had a disc brake conversion. I have a 2018 284 BHSL (34 Ft) and am interested in your experiences or advice. Thanks.

Danj2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:03 AM   #2

Nevada
Danj2718, chily3 and texasbird got info on the Conversion, if you can't find them, go to the search above and just put in Disc Brakes and you will find the information....

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:23 PM   #3

Texas
I put disk brakes on our Redwood fifth wheel recently. It is the best safety upgrade to put on a heavier RV. On our TT, I had trouble with grease leaking out of the seals and ruining the brake shoes, which meant even less braking power than with clean brake shoes. But I wound up selling it before I swapped it over. There is no fade and the disk brakes are much stronger than any drum brake set up. My conclusion, I would not have any larger trailer without installing disk brakes both for safety and peace of mind. The only downside is that they are fairly pricey. But if you aren't perfectly happy with the drum brakes on your rig, and plan on keeping it for awhile, they are sure worth it.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:17 AM   #4

Nevada
I’ve done a disc brake conversion done twice. I was so pleased with the results of the first conversion (on a Sandsport 26 FBSL) that I immediately did the same thing when I bought my Triton 3351. I did the installations myself using Kodiak discs.

The difference between electric drums and the discs is night and day. After you initially setup your brake controller you don’t need to fiddle with it again. The brakes work and feel the same, hot or cold, highway or city. The stopping power is incredible. The discs completely handle the braking for the trailer so the stopping distance towing is the same as when not towing.

The installations were done using all steel lines except short rubber flexible lines at the pump and calipers so I don’t have any noticeable delay when applying the brakes as the pump builds pressure. I used the Tuson Actulink actuator on both. It works well with my Ford’s OEM brake controller.
wiresLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:17 AM   #5

Alabama
I installed a Titan EHB pump and plumbing kit and Kodiak caliper sets. I bought extra tubing and extra flexible connections as I designed my own tubing routes and installed the pump in the front storage area where the batteries are. It took me about 7 or 8 days. I got proficient at double flaring and tube bending. I mainly rearranged the plumbing so that it all ran along the I beams of the 5th and didn't interfere with getting into the underbelly. Well worth the effort as we took a 9 week trip through the Rockies and the brakes prevented 2 surefire accidents from happening. I will never have another 5th or camper without them,
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #6

Tennessee
We had the Titan conversion done to our Denali 298RK last summer. It also required upgrading the axles from 4800# to 5200# Liperts.

It was don’t in my driveway. Best investment I’ve made in years.