Coleman buying advice - getting a good deal - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2017, 10:44 PM   #1

Massachusetts
Coleman buying advice - getting a good deal

Hello!

Complete novice here looking for a bit of Camping World buying advice.

After two summers watching friends having a blast and really enjoying their campers, we decided to take the plunge and strike out on a whole new lifestyle. This past weekend we decided on a 2018 Coleman 2155BH. We're planning to go back on Tues or Thurs of this week to make the purchase.

The price Camping World is offering is $16,999.

In your experience, how negotiable are CW on price? Is it like buying a car and haggling down to the last $10 or do they stick pretty firm to the offering price?

If they don't haggle on price, will they throw in options or free equipment to sweeten the deal? If so, what are some good extras or mods that would be good for the unit or for camping in general?

I appreciate any and all advice folks out there can offer. Many thanks!

Shawn and Krystal

Pitts2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:50 PM   #2

Tennessee
I'm being honest here...run! Buy a different brand from a different dealer. We bought a 2018 Coleman in July from Camping World and both have been nothing but trouble. So far: broken lug bolt, leaking slide gearbox, partially glued flooring coming up, screws on the roof that weren't fully seated just covered in DICOR, drawers that are suddenly hard to close, missing DICOR on the roof, the list goes on and on. This past weekend our worst nightmare happened. When we were away the brand fricking new air conditioner freezes up and stops cooling. Our dogs were in there too. Luckily we were under a tree and the temperature had just gotten in the upper 80's before we got home. I'm so ticked at Dutchmen I couldn't recommend their garbage to anyone. A few minutes later and my little buddies could have been dead. My piece of junk goes to a different dealer on Tuesday for repairs and if I can get out from under this thing I will. If not, I've learned a valuable lesson the hard way.

The folks on this forum are awesome but Dutchmen products are not. RUN!

If you want to know more about my Camping World experience just PM me.
Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Old 08-21-2017, 01:38 AM   #3

California
Check on the used market also. Lots of good used places out there. RV trader.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:57 AM   #4

Oregon
I purchased a 2017 Coleman 300tq Toy Hauler and have not had any issues. Everything works as it did when I picked it up. You can't blame a defective AC on Dutchman or Camping World it's a Dometic product and sometimes they freeze up, AC's do that especially have you have them on high or for hours at a time.

I usually use RV Trader to compare prices. If Camping World has the trailer your looking at listed as a Special I would say the price is set. Google the make and model and see what you come up with for pricing.

Camping World was easy to deal with on my purchase.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #5

Tennessee
I'm glad you've had a good experience with Coleman and Camping World but since you weren't there when we did our PDI, when we questioned the CW technician about the behavior of what he said was a heat pump and it wasn't your dogs it almost killed please don't tell me who to blame.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2017, 12:36 PM   #6

Illinois
Pitts2112, First, every RV manufacturer puts out units with issues. Quality control is a concern for all of them, be it Mobile Suites or Dutchmen. Generally as a rule, more expensive units have few problems, but ALL of them have issues, as most use identical components to a point. The best bet is to use this forum and correct them yourself as they develop, then you know they are done right and won't reoccur. Sad that Brown Lantern has so many issues, but remember, there are 460,000 RV's being produced this year. People who have few or no issues rarely post to say things are fine. Generally the only time you hear from people is when there is a problem. I've had my RV going on three years, living in it 6 months at a crack. Few issues, most of which the smart guys and gals on this forum have walked me thru. Don't be afraid because one or two people have had a bad experience. Also, a good rule of thumb is you can negotiate down 25 to 30% from sticker. Good luck.
Rusty
Attached Files
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:54 PM   #7

Texas
I have 3 RV's.

One from each of the HUGE BEHEMOTH manufactures, that combined represent probably 95% of all mass produced RV's, and one small RV that was built by one of the niche manufacturers that build in extreme low volume. (like 3 at a time and can take a year to get one)

In summary, one is a Dutchman product, one is Forest River product, and the niche is a teardrop by Camp-Inn.

I LIVE in the Dutchman Aerolite 213RBSL.
I camp for months at a time, so currently I'm "living" in the Forest River Wolf Pup toy hauler.
The Camp-Inn 550ultra is at home parked in the woods.

Ok, all that info is just to setup my opinion of RV's.

Those are NOT carpenters, electricians, and plumbers building the cheap affordable mass produced RV's!

They're assemblymen, probably very fine folks in general, but being PUSHED hourly to produce product as fast as possible.

The product definitely reveals it too. In fact, I'm convinced that you could take 3 "units" of the same make\model that came off the assembly line consecutively and under close inspection find that they differ in both the quantity of flaws and severity.

There aren't any robots!

So, if that is true, the consumer is almost guaranteed to take delivery of a flawed product. How flawed is determined by many factors.

I've been extremely fortunate, apparently. My Dutchman Aerolite has been amazingly well performing. But I chalk that up to one person! The fella that did my pre-PDI, before I ever saw the unit for inspection, had a long list of things to address. It was delivered to the dealer with these issues. It was the employee of the dealer that prevented me from experiencing the potential issues I most assuredly would have.

I'm not sure about the Forest River Wolf Pup. I literally drove into an out of state small dealer and picked it up. All purchasing arrangements were done over the phone. They were ready for me and my PDI was much briefer. Admittedly it is a less sophisticated RV than the Aerolite, but still has all the same modern conveniences built-in. I hitched up and took off thinking I'd just address any issues myself, as I traveled cross country for a looooong maiden adventure in it.

It's been flawless, other than the kitchen sink is plumbed in a manner that it stops draining before the grey tank is actually full to capacity. (it is connected on the shallow end of the tank)

The teardrop?
Not really fair to compare. It is built by craftsmen. The materials are far more marine, than RV. Lots of stainless steal, aluminum, marine plywood, and Baltic birch. And as tiny as it is, it costs just as much, or more, than many of these full-sized bumper pulls.

I said ALL this to say:

RVing can be the most amazing and fulfilling experience. There is nothing like it, in my opinion. But the "product" can be a bit irritating if you expect it to be as flawless as your truck towing it. Lol

The most common advice you will get from the fine folks around here is INSPECT INSPECT INSPECT before you take delivery. If you are a perfectionist by nature, I feel for ya. You might never take delivery.

But my motto is "don't letem steal your joy"

Find some mountain top and watch the eclipse from a porch view that ONLY an RV can make possible! Worry about the missing screw tomorrow.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #8

Oregon
Would you blame Dutchman or Camping World if the power went out in the park your staying at? Dutchman would have just as much control over that as it does the Dometic AC.

Light weight trailer are built light weight. If you crank up the stabilizer jack too tight or load it unevenly they flex which may cause doors to not close or drawers to not work smoothly.

And I have a Dog. All kinds of bad things can happen when you leave them in the trailer alone, which is why most parks have rules against it.

Have a nice day.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:51 PM   #9

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
Would you blame Dutchman or Camping World if the power went out in the park your staying at? Dutchman would have just as much control over that as it does the Dometic AC.

Light weight trailer are built light weight. If you crank up the stabilizer jack too tight or load it unevenly they flex which may cause doors to not close or drawers to not work smoothly.

And I have a Dog. All kinds of bad things can happen when you leave them in the trailer alone, which is why most parks have rules against it.

Have a nice day.
Friends were camped right next door, with a key, while we were gone to get a valve for his 2015 Keystone and pick up our granddaughter. His father-in-law was sitting under our awning the whole time. He commented that he heard our a/c running so he had no reason to believe there was a problem.

You also don't know what happened at Camping World but...

The one thing this forum has taught me, keep your new RV issues to yourself because you will be chastised for telling the truth. From now on I will. May your day also be a good one.
Attached Files
Old 08-21-2017, 05:30 PM   #10

Texas
I don't know. I'm pretty tolerant AND sympathetic to the rants on RV forums, simply because the frustration of RV ownership is pretty well documented. The evidence is fairly overwhelming.

And as far as this specific forum, it is FULL of threads related to "issues" that we are all confronted with. So it's ok to air it out!

Obviously there will be a variety of responses, but don't let any single response sting ya enough to regret participation.

Sometimes our rants include our anger at the manufacturer, dealer, or some other entity. It's only human. But when we're really miffed, we may make comments that could be categorized as throwing out the baby with the water, if ya know what I mean.

I allow for it.
Others might not.

It's all good.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #11

Tennessee
Can we hug it out? Sorry, i'm all warm and fuzzy from that awesome eclipse. 100%, it was dark and awesome here.

I will say, my camper had a faulty air conditioner and refrigerator that were both replaced immediately under warranty. Not Dutchman's fault at all, akin to blaming Ford for your Firestone tire blowing out and rolling your Explore into a ditch.

I also complained more than I should have when I first bought my camper, I was never called out for it. That's on us to be better.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:12 PM   #12

Texas
I'm envious. I might be camping in paradise, but I never even noticed the eclipse. non-event.

Oh, and if I catch you whining, I'm gonna call you out.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:16 PM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
It was cloudy were I was when the eclipse came through, just got a bit darker is all.

Rv's are a rolling crap shoot. The best you can do is do your due diligence prior to purchase, give the dealer a correction list and verify it is completed prior to signing on the dotted line. Also choose a dealer you are comfortable with and think you can trust. If the issues are severe or the list excessive, walk away and look for a different unit.

RV's are not houses, imagine what would happen to your house if it were subjected to a hurricane and earthquake every time you used it!

RV's are built up from a pile of components obtained from outside suppliers. If memory serves me there are only two choices in brands of A/C, fridges, stoves and maybe 3 or 4 for converters, ditto axles. They are chasing profits so in most cases the lowest priced item is what get used. The assemblers are paid by how many pieces they put in a day. More pieces=more pay. Make production and go home early.

In my family we have everything from $10k base model TT to $500K motor homes. They all have issues, how the manufacturer addresses those issues makes the difference. I have seen two TT's come off the same assembly line 2 days apart. One was a complete POS and I would not have taken it if you gave it to me, the other was well put together and minimal items that needed correcting. FWIW these were both sitting on the lot at a CW.

CW is another story. Their service seems to be hit or miss depending on location and customer.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:52 AM   #14

To answer part of the question about pricing. Yes, they are very negotiable. If they are asking 17000 I'm sure you can negotiate a couple of G's off the price. Make them throw in a couple chairs or other amenities. Stick to your price and offer a much lower price.. you can always go up with the offer but seldom down.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #15

Florida
I personally would look at other manufacturers (not saying they would be any better) but today's RV's are mass produced and done by ASSEMBLERS and NOT builders. What I would do is before accepting delivery, go over it with a fine tooth comb and make certain everything works correctly. If you have NO experience with RV's, ask a friend who owns one to go with you to test and inspect the systems (make sure you run the air and the furnace, they can be quite loud-also, a second AC is a good thing also if available-for the bedroom). You will NOT be able to find everything and some of the products in the "assembly" will fail because they do. Also, an extended warranty is a good idea (in my experience a GREAT idea) but sometimes can be expensive. Just remember, they usually don't put the highest quality materials in these things (like the tires). Also, if available, a self leveling system will be a godsend! And finally, they will negotiate the hell out of these things so make sure you play that card and also get all the accessories you want upfront.

Good luck and be knowledgeable!

PS: I'm considering a second AC (because mine has the connections already available) since being out in the sun, the main AC struggles to keep the entire RV cool. CW sells it for a grand but the same AC is available for $400.00 online but usually will require a full 50 amp hookup. As with Mr. Brown, PM me should you want to start a conversation.

PPS: The furniture is the worst that comes from the factory, negotiate that out, buy something else. Upgrade the bedroom mattress!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote