Cold weather camping in a Kodiak 263RLSL - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #1

Indiana
Cold weather camping in a Kodiak 263RLSL

We purchased our very first TT this spring, deciding on all the comforts of the Kodiak 263RLSL, and have really enjoyed it so far. One of the big reasons that we selected this unit is because the dealer explained that, with the sealed underbelly, it is ready to use even in very cold weather. However, as we have camped around and visited with more seasoned TT owners, their response to cold weather camping is that we should only dry camp once there is a threat of freezing. In fact, that we should camp with it antifreeze in place. Has anyone had any experience with winter camping in this or a similar unit? We really prefer late fall/early winter camping and it will be a bit of a disappointment if we cannot use it into December at least, but either way we need to know the verdict. Any advice is welcome.

Dan & Andrea -- Fleeing the empty nest
with our sassy Plott Hound, Roxi
2012 Kodiak263RLSL
Roxi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #2

Wyoming
Re: Cold weather camping in a Kodiak 263RLSL

Welcome to the forum!

Well, we don't get very cold winters here on Vancouver Island so I may not be the best person to answer.

We've been to some 'cool' places with night time freezing temps and with our winter package did not have any issues other than the water supply hose TO the RV froze. We have a furnace duct into the tank area which should keep things good there but I would hesitate to use the unit in very cold winter conditions.

I would be concerned about a long day traveling in cold temps as this is likely to be when you have problems. Elevation is something to be concerned about as it may well be warm down low but once you climb into the passes the temps can drop quite low. I travel with all tanks empty and my winter package trailer hopefully will keep things good for a day but you never know.

Perhaps others will be able to add to this.

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #3

Indiana

Thanks, Wanderer, for your reply and insight. Although Indiana is in the US Midwest, the winter months here can become bitterly cold, even (or really, especially) when there is little precipitation! I can see how the supply line could become frozen; I wonder if it would be worthwhile to unhook from the water supply post at night? We always travel with empty tanks, too. It will be interesting to hear about the experiences of others.

You live in such a beautiful part of the world! Enjoy this lovely autumn!

2012 Kodiak263RLSL
Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #4

I guess I could see the concerns. If you look under your trailer you will find drain lines that go to the sinks and such sticking out from the bottom of the underbelly.

As for camping, maybe try the RV.net forum, there are many people who venture to alaska could provide better assistance.
However, on page 140 of the kodiak owners manual it states the trailer is designed for short term use of 0-110 degree F. You could also call and ask dutchmen to explain or give tips. The entire underbelly of your trailer should be good to go except the hoses sticking down. These would be my only concern.
Now they only stick out 3 inches or so, maybe they are designed in such a way that it wouldn't freeze in that regard.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #5

Indiana

Thanks tim87114,

Somehow we missed the page 140 reference in the manual, I'll have to go out and get that out if the camper for a review.

We appreciate the references to other resources, too, very helpful!

2012 Kodiak263RLSL
Old 09-23-2012, 02:27 AM   #6

My last trailer a 09 skyline Layton and our new 13 Kodiak 292 both have enclosed underbellys with dedicated heat ducts that go from the furnace to the holding tank cavity. We have camped in the low 20's F. maybe even into the teens and never had any problem other than going through a lot of propane and listening to the furnace run.
2008 Yamaha Raptor 700
halibuthays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #7

Indiana

Thanks, Halibuthays!
The story of your experience is adding to our confidence that we will be able to get out and enjoy the frosty trails this fall & winter! I just about can't wait to awaken to clean, crisp air and for that first cuppa campfire joe, chasing the chill away!

2012 Kodiak263RLSL
Old 09-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio

I have camped when it has been down in the upper teens without any issues. Although those temps have only been for a couple of days and it did warm up during the day to the upper 20's. this was also in our previous 5er which wasn't considered a cold weather camper even though it had the covered underbelly. I am in Northwest Ohio and like the November and early timeframe also.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:23 AM   #9

Indiana

Thanks, gonervn! Nice to hear from a midwestern voice!

Curiosity gets the best of me so I will ask this -- We have thought about heading into North or West Ohio but are not quite sure where to go. Are the Ohio state parks a sure bet? Indiana state parks almost all shut down water supplies by mid fall. Do you load up your water before leaving home, or pack in gallons bottles of water, or do you just search out parks that provide water in the cold months? If you find parks with water, have you ever had your supply line freeze (between the post and the rv connector)?

2012 Kodiak263RLSL
Old 11-19-2016, 02:11 AM   #10

Virginia
Updates

Hey there, I have this same rig and I am curious how it went? We are planning our first winter camping in pigeon forge Tennessee this New Years.
Rastamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:28 AM   #11

Arizona
I'm not going to knowingly camp in the freeze. However, a few years ago we were caught in an ice storm in west Texas. Our camper kept us plenty warm, when everything outside was frozen, but we sure sucked down the propane. Make sure you have access to A LOT of propane. Camping in sub-freezing temps is not something I look forward to doing.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote