Changed Our Minds - Coleman CTU 268RK - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #1

Florida
Changed Our Minds - Coleman CTU 268RK

OK, the more we look, the more we find. Current favorite is the Coleman CTU268RK. I'd be interested in any comments from current owners, including recommended options, tow vehicles used, and level of satisfaction with the TT.

As an aside, does anyone have experience with the dealer dba Dutchmen RV Express? They have a full configuration order sheet on line with MSRP for all the options and seem to offer free delivery, PDI, etc. at their location "near the factory". I haven't exercised them for a quote yet because I'm probably not going to buy until after the first of the year, but just wondered if anyone had used them.

Thanks,

Al

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #2

Florida
Question Maybe I should have asked......

Wow! 83 views and no CTU268RK owners. Maybe I should have asked if you looked at this TT and decided not to buy it, why?

We are torn between the CTU268RK and the Winnebago Ultralite 27RBSL. The Kodiak we were first interested in is a great looking trailer but didn't look like it could accommodate even infrequent guests and the "Queen" bed isn't full size. Really like the openness of the Winnebago's opposing slides, but the dry weight looks to be about 500# heavier and the rear bath seems a little inconvenient with guests. With my current TV I'm relying on not loading the TT to GVW, so 500# of dry weight is significant.

I am retired and Missy (DW) will be soon so we plan to do some multi-week trips to see a lot of the country. No plans to full-time at the moment, but 2-3 week trips are definitely something we would do.

Our priorities are:

1. Some GCVWR margin on my TV which limits me to something in the neighborhood of 7000# GTW as loaded.
2. Full size queen bed (I'm 6'2")
3. 15KBTU A/C (live in Florida and will camp in the south and west as well as the rest of the country)
4. Workable kitchen counter space
5. Comfortably-sized bathroom (see #2)
6. Aesthetics of door(s) separating the bedroom from the rest of the TT.

Interested in any comments on either the Winnebago (I know, not a Dutchmen) or the Coleman or suggestions for anything we might have overlooked.

Thanks,

Al

Old 08-29-2013, 01:48 AM   #3

Ohio
The Winnebago is like the Kodiak 279rbsl I like both the both have slam locks and the Coleman is like the a super-sized Kodiak 242 witch I like but without the fire place probably an expedition f-250 or suburban 2500 avalanche or Ford Excursion
kodiak 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #4

Florida
Thanks for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak 2013 View Post
The Winnebago is like the Kodiak 279rbsl I like both the both have slam locks and the Coleman is like the a super-sized Kodiak 242 witch I like but without the fire place probably an expedition f-250 or suburban 2500 avalanche or Ford Excursion
Thanks! I'll check those others out. So far I haven't found a Kodiak with a full size queen bed.

On towability, while I'd really like to have an F250, an F150 is what I've got, and it looks to me like with minimal loading in the TV (driver, passenger, dogs and a full fuel tank) if the specified 5622# dry weight is correct, and the Coleman trailer is loaded with 1000# of stuff balanced to put 12.5% (830#) on the tongue I should be right at the TV GVWR and have about 15% margin on GCVWR assuming the use of a WD/sway control hitch. That seems like a reasonable tow, if my analysis is correct. If I get into it and can't pull hills adequately, I'm prepared to upgrade the TV, but I'd rather not start with that.

Appreciate your input!

Al
Old 05-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #5

Virginia
Just surfing a bit today and I see your post.. dont know if you bought yet..

We own a CTU268Rk and I love it.. love the layout, the whole thing.. the problem is I am 99.99% positive we bought a unit that was slapped together for the 2012 Hershey show to see if people wanted such a floorplan. We've taken it out a few times and each time something else was wrong.. Camping World fixed it every time.. we had to "make a case" about a few issues, but they did resolve the problems..

Mine has a few design flaws that I mentioned at some point to someone at Coleman so I'm not sure they were resolved.. when the slide is OUT the pantry can't be opened full swing so you cant reach to the back. The toilet should be a higher - what is it called ADA?? accessible?? -- seat because of the floorplan, chances are its 2 matures not a young family. there was one other thing I can;t drag from the memory banks right now..

Ours doesn't have the fireplace, I have the swing out table there .. under the TV, so it swings in front of the couch.. AND I have a free standing dinette table with 4 chairs.. There is a decorative piece across the head of the bed we dont have either.. but beyond that, the unit is perfect for our needs (I'm 59, he's 62 and starting this summer we hope to get him retired and start really using it!)

The troubles we had: We hadn't barely got it to the house from the dealer in PA when the factory called saying we had to bring it back, there was a strong possibility they forgot to hook up a waste pipe! The fridge refused to stay cold, the shower floor was not braced sufficiently, there was an issue with the hot water I forget what it was, but when we tried to get the hot water working several of the heat duct pieces broke off under the kitchen counter area.. the shut off valves were under there and impossible to get at. We had a little trouble and a LONG delay, in getting the accessories promised, but in the long run they made good and gave us extras too.. There was some wiring issues, lights not working, switches operating the wrong things!

All in all I love it and if I had to design one from scratch its 95% exactly what I wanted.. I cant wait to use it this season!

I guess I forgot to mention we haul it with a 2012 F150 HD edition with a 7500lb tow rating with no problems.. hubby says he hardly knows its back there -- now if he could learn to back up without the colorful words we'd be golden!

Oh and mine weighs less that that.. weight was a huge consideration coming from a Honda Ridgeline and a ancient 18' camper.. Can;t get at the weight info this instant but I know when I saw this data @ 5600+/- it was more than ours.. but like I said I cant put my fingers on the numbers right now..
wkdwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #6

Florida
Thanks - now I understand....

I understand why I didn't get many replies. Apparently there were no 268RK owners out there when I asked, or only a few. Well, after much hemming and hawing, we went in a totally different direction and bought a 2001 Airstream Safari 25. The couch was replaced with two recliners and it has twin beds which are at least long enough for me to sleep. We have only been out in it once, but we love it. Thanks for your response and I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy the Coleman. It is a great plan for a couple.

Al
Old 05-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #7

Virginia
Ahh, back atcha.. enjoy yours too.. we just this afternoon listed out main home in NY so we'll be retired by October in the Blue Ridge Mtns!! woohoo! I'm going to go and see what you bought hubby drools over airstreams... owwww.. very nice unit!! have fun with it!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #8

Florida
Where in the Blue Ridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkdwich View Post
Ahh, back atcha.. enjoy yours too.. we just this afternoon listed out main home in NY so we'll be retired by October in the Blue Ridge Mtns!! woohoo! I'm going to go and see what you bought hubby drools over airstreams... owwww.. very nice unit!! have fun with it!
I retired last June and wife in January. We have a place in Fleetwood, NC between Boone and West Jefferson in Ashe county. A small house, but great for the two of us and occasional visitors. Headed for Little Switzerland soon and then to Fleetwood, but only for a few days. Hope to get back by July 4th.

Al
Old 05-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #9

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I retired last June and wife in January. We have a place in Fleetwood, NC between Boone and West Jefferson in Ashe county. A small house, but great for the two of us and occasional visitors. Headed for Little Switzerland soon and then to Fleetwood, but only for a few days. Hope to get back by July 4th.

Al
wow thats just crazy small world.. we stayed in Boone one year for the Bristol NASCAR race, very pretty area.. Little Switzerland is on the Blue Ridge Pkwy.. it runs just west of us and right thru Roanoke.. you race people??? I'm not quite ready to retire and dont have to since I work online.. and we didnt buy a little place.. way more land and 2x's the house (what were we thinking?) but a really great area..
Old 01-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #10

Texas
Poor quality

Own 2013 ctu268rk. Piece of junk. In second year of ownership the kitchen sink fell out then the sliding door in the bathroom detached from the ceiling then the L-shaped couch back broke off then fold out bed supports broke. I weigh 200 lbs and these item shoul have supported my weight, the couch. Don't waste your money since after the warranty runs out your out of luck.
Grpalyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:37 PM   #11

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grpalyu View Post
Own 2013 ctu268rk. Piece of junk. In second year of ownership the kitchen sink fell out then the sliding door in the bathroom detached from the ceiling then the L-shaped couch back broke off then fold out bed supports broke. I weigh 200 lbs and these item shoul have supported my weight, the couch. Don't waste your money since after the warranty runs out your out of luck.
Money I am afraid had already been wasted, but since 99.99% of our issues were documented and not properly resolved prior to the warantee running out, I made a huge stink, a 14 page letter campaign sent to 6 states atty generals and several company headquarters -- we had the unit repaired by an independent repair person to our huge satisfaction and did receive compensation from Coleman/Dutchman and the fridge company.. I had an incredible paper trail - that and the atty general filings paid off for us.. hopefully we wont have any further issues.. I'm sorry you did.. I still love the floor plan - but I doubt I'll ever buy a brand new camper again, but a used one is someone else's beachhead that maybe wasnt fixed or wasnt fixed properly..
Old 01-20-2016, 12:49 AM   #12

North Carolina
I run a HOT TUB sales and repair service here in NC. just below boone and have tons of customers in west jefferson.

- in a cyclone 4000 elite, but have a voltage 3970 that should be here in a month or so. just in time for daytona bike week...

tow with a 2013 chevy 3500HD DRW

hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote