Bad Power cable? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #1

North Carolina
Bad Power cable?

The other week as we were getting ready to leave for the holidays I went out to the trailer (Aerolite) to get a duffle bag and discovered there was no power. No AC power, no 12 volt.

Checked that the house breaker was fine and that the GFCI (20 AMP) didn't trip + connections to trailer. Pulled the battery cover and battery was at 1.7 volts via my multimeter.

Now, I'm pretty good with electricity and I admit that I haven't checked all the fuses in the trailer yet. All the trailer breakers were not tripped, but I cycled them anyway. Today I'm going to check the fuses.

The battery once put on a charger fully charged and the 12volt lights, etc all worked fine.

So aside from a fuse that leaves the AC/DC panel either bad or.... The power cable itself. I'm going to put my meter on that today as well try a spare cable I have.

I noticed the factory cable (screw on type) has a couple of LEDs embedded in it and one is on constant red.

Anyone run into anything similar? I'm about to go out and dig around more... Let me know what you think. Trailer is still warrantied until July.

WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:11 PM   #2

North Carolina
Well... It was a bad cord. Go figure.

WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:51 AM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
Well... It was a bad cord. Go figure.
Doesn't suprise me, my 120V cord has so much slack in it I wonder how any contact is made.

Used to be you power cable was hard wired (as mine will be again come spring) straight to the fuse panel. The more needless crap that is put into the electrical cicuit to more things to screw up.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote