Back up Camera Prep? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2016, 02:06 AM   #1

Maryland
Back up Camera Prep?

Just picked up our new Aerolite triple bunk yesterday.

We have the AERO TECH PACKAGE with
5-Function Remote system
Electric Stabilizer Jacks
Solar Prep
Back Up Camera Prep.

Can someone help me find out more info on the backup camera? We need one, but I can't find any specific info. What type to buy, where the prep wiring is. etc

thank you!

5Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:22 AM   #2

Washington
Wiring is nothing more than a positive lead that is coiled up and is dead center in the ceiling at the rear wall. Remove the ceiling panel, drill hole through roof and pull camera wiring though, connect and seal the hole.

As far as a camera, it all depends on how much $$$ you wamt to spent. I went with a wireless dual camera system so I could put one in the garage to keep an eye on the toys. Mine was over $500.00 I opted to spend the $$$ as it had 300ft range. The cheep ones have a short signal range and tend to lose the signal as your driving.

WMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:52 AM   #3

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMac View Post
Wiring is nothing more than a positive lead that is coiled up and is dead center in the ceiling at the rear wall. Remove the ceiling panel, drill hole through roof and pull camera wiring though, connect and seal the hole.

As far as a camera, it all depends on how much $$$ you wamt to spent. I went with a wireless dual camera system so I could put one in the garage to keep an eye on the toys. Mine was over $500.00 I opted to spend the $$$ as it had 300ft range. The cheep ones have a short signal range and tend to lose the signal as your driving.
What camera specifically did you get? The unit that came installed on my 3950 Is crap.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:18 PM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
What camera specifically did you get? The unit that came installed on my 3950 Is crap.
Now, now, it's not crap it's the best Dutchmen could afford to supply and not cut into the profit margin.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:39 AM   #5

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Now, now, it's not crap it's the best Dutchmen could afford to supply and not cut into the profit margin.
I glad they found it worth the profit margin to replace twice under warranty. Went out again after warranty was up.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #6

Illinois
Is it that BOYO camera? I have the same on my 3990. Power cord went out and I just bought a new one. Works, but very spotty. I would love to find one that would just come up on the screen in my dash on the F-350 instead of having yet another screen mounted on the dash.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Is it that BOYO camera? I have the same on my 3990. Power cord went out and I just bought a new one. Works, but very spotty. I would love to find one that would just come up on the screen in my dash on the F-350 instead of having yet another screen mounted on the dash.
Rusty
Rusty

If you have a multi-media deck, there may be a video-in port on the back of it. I've have two cameras going into my deck, the power wires are switched so I can go from the truck to the trailer camera with a flip of the switch.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #8

Illinois
I'll explore. Thanks Jim.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:44 PM   #9

New York
Did you ever figure out exactly what the back up prep was? I recently picked up our 2016 282dbhs and when I contacted Dutchman they said the prep was just an extra fuse spot on the fuse panel. Which doesn't sound right to me that's not really any prep.
Zeroclearanceny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:55 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroclearanceny View Post
Did you ever figure out exactly what the back up prep was? I recently picked up our 2016 282dbhs and when I contacted Dutchman they said the prep was just an extra fuse spot on the fuse panel. Which doesn't sound right to me that's not really any prep.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the Dutchmen Customer Lack of Service line.

Everthing that comes off of the line is a one off. They don't use wiring harnesses so they have no idea what was wired to where and what color the wire is. When look behind the power supply or anything else that is out of site you will understand.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:56 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroclearanceny View Post
It is in their minds...

Hopefully the person you spoke with is uninformed and there is actually a wire stashed in the rear somewhere for power.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #12

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMac View Post

WMac, which camera did you go with? I'd love to install a wireless one in the back of my rig. I don't care if it uses wifi to go to my iPhone or if I need a separate screen as I won't be using it that often. I just want to be able to see what I'm backing into.

2016 Dutchmen Aerolite 282DBHS
2015 Ford F250 Diesel SRW
jcs1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:05 AM   #13

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs1377 View Post
WMac, which camera did you go with? I'd love to install a wireless one in the back of my rig. I don't care if it uses wifi to go to my iPhone or if I need a separate screen as I won't be using it that often. I just want to be able to see what I'm backing into.
What do you think of the aerotech package?

What all can you do with the remote?

Thanks!

jonesark is offline   Reply With Quote