anyone upgrade their Antenna?? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #1

California
anyone upgrade their Antenna??

looking to upgrade our antenna on our Aerolite 282dbhs-we have direct tv. I was looking at the direct tv traveler model as we had that back 10 years ago on our motorhome-worked great. the dealer today tells me this is too expensive and overkill; additionally, they have not installed this on travel trailers to his knowledge, only on motorhomes-he suggested a dome type antenna...... I know the roof is curved and may be the cause for concern or lack of installs on trailers? other than that, I don't get it. Any suggestions or comments welcomed as I am unclear on next step. Thanks

hox57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #2

Florida
I have directTV as well but elected to go with a tripod and dish that I need to set up every time I camp. Works great except for local channels.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #3

California
thanks for the info, trying to get away from having to store a unit if possible.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #4

Florida
That is a problem. In order to receive HD, you need that large and cumbersome dish. I have it strapped down on the back of the rv. My dish has a fold up LNB arm that will allow it to almost lay flat (as flat as you can get it).
Old 09-07-2018, 02:45 PM   #5

California
HD is not required for us; we are buying a new tv for the trailer so not sure if they make a none HD unit anymore? I'm just trying to stay away from setting unit on each trip.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #6

Illinois
I had Traveler installed on my Voltage toy hauler. Pricey, but nice and certainly convenient. Press a button and you get all the satellites and can watch different channels on all televisions. Never had a leak and never had a mechanical issue. Getting it installed on my new fiver as we speak.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #7

Wyoming
Have had my Travl’r for 3 years now... no issues, and no regrets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1CBA369F-C05F-492E-B873-90E605D60CA6.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	4998
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:33 AM   #8

California
good to hear; maybe issue is with my rv repair dealer and not the trailer/unit. Thanks to all that chimed in.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #9

California
Since you don’t care about HD then why not get a vuqube? You set it down somewhere with a clear view of southern sky and go through a pretty quick aiming process with a remote and you are good to go. The major drawback for me is lack of HD channels but plenty of SD and it draws enough power from the receiver through the coaxial cable that no external power source is needed.

No installation needed.

I have had one for years but actually use it less and less because over the air signals exist in HD now and we can usually tune in a few wherever we camp. The nice thing about over the air channels is that when you are dry camping you don’t have to worry about turning off power and then going through the entire receiver reboot when you turn it on again.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #10

Michigan
VuQube is great. I have one and use it almost every trip - super simple to use.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:06 PM   #11

California
WE use DVD's from the library. If need news try for local. If no local then just read. Not full timers but use the rig a least monthly.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
VuQube is great. I have one and use it almost every trip - super simple to use.
Apparently is has been discontinued? It appears they got bought out by King awhile back. We primarily use OTA, cable if provided by the RV park we are in. Otherwise we use DVD's, or downloaded movies. Occasionally we will stream stuff.

I am not much of one for watching TV, I would rather read... or sleep.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #13

California
Looks like they replaced it with this one. Still only gets SD (no HD channels) but tunes automatically which is nice.

Not supporting Camping World but first place I looked.

https://www.campingworld.com/king-qu...ith-travel-bag

By the way, my friend has a portable satellite for dish that looks identical to my vuqube but it tunes automatically AND gets HD. If I didn’t already have directv at home I would go with Dish for camping purposes. Dish also has a pay as you go plan that lets you pay for a month I believe. So if you camp for several weeks then stop for a while it is a good option. We always use my friends dish set up to watch Indy 500 or big college games when we camp and it works great. That product he has is called a “tailgater”.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #14

Wyoming
Pros & Cons... Roof Mounted Antenna, or Carry-Out model:

Since the HD vs SD argument is simply one of preference, I'll not address my thoughts on that here... although as SD begins it's fade-out, it may become a relevant topic later.

But (in my opinion) the roof-mount vs carry out debate has many factors.

- How often do you use your RV? Weekends only? 2-to-3 weeks at a time? Full-time?

- How much TV do you watch when using the RV?

- Will you be satisfied with whatever local stations and/or cable options the campground offers?

- Do you have a desire to watch YOUR local sports team wherever you are?

- Do you value convenience over portability?

- Do you have ample storage options for a carry-out dish AND it's support structure? (tripod or ground-block, extra cord, power supply, wind-anchor, anti-theft security, etc)

- Can you easily aim & align the antenna to receive satellite signals?

- Do you camp mostly in the east, or west?

- Are your favorite campground sites in the forests or out in the open?

- Will the campgrounds you'll be frequenting have sites that are not under canopy of trees... and even if so, will you want to be in such a site, open to the sun?

These are just some of the questions you'll want to ask yourself while debating which option to go with.

Of course, the ultimate in convenience is the roof mount. Nothing to do but stab a button, and a few minutes later, you're in business. Nothing to aim, nothing to unpack, noting to set up, etc.

Ok, so what's the down side? 2 things really... cost, and somewhat limited service ability, depending on where you go.

Roof mounted antennas are usually more expensive, simply because of the cost of installing them... and maintenance is something goes wrong. And, of course, if you want the considered best antenna on the market (the Winegard Travl'r), it's also the most expensive to buy.

And, because they are roof mounted, if you go to a campground that is nestled deep in the woods... you may not be able to enjoy the benefits of your antenna, as they may not have any sites with a clear, unobstructed view of the southern sky. This is especially true if you're trying to receive an HD signal, because the antenna will need to receive THREE satellites to receive that signal (SD signals require only 1). And if even the smallest leaf-covered limb is in the way of that narrow beam... you WILL NOT receive a signal. Trust me as to how I know this.

That said, it is very rare that I have not been able to reserve a site that is satellite-friendly. Of course, a little research beforehand does wonders. Google Earth can allow you to see if your intended location has such sites available at a glance. When making reserving by phone, I always ask for a satellite friendly site... and when reserving online, I always put the following statement into the Requests / Notes section... and I'm almost always accommodated:

HAVE ROOF MOUNTED DIRECTV SATELLITE DISH ON MY 5th WHEEL RV. IF ABLE, REQUEST SITE WITH AN UNOBSTRUCTED VIEW OF THE SOUTHERN SKY FOR RECEPTION. THANKS.

Moving on to carry out models... they've come a long way. Portability & convenience exists in some models, while others are a hassle. But no matter which model you buy, you still have to set it each & every time you change locations... and then pack it all back up when you leave. You have to have dedicated storage space for it, and for all of the other stuff you'll want/need with it. The base it sits on (whatever that may be)... an anchor to keep it from shifting or even tipping over in the wind... and, unless you're very trusting with a piece of expensive electronics, some means to secure it so it doesn't 'walk away' when you're out & about during the day, or sleeping at night.

Of course, the plus side is that they can be placed almost anywhere... so long as the power supply & signal feed cords are long enough. Campsite deep in the woods under the canopy of the trees... set it out near the roadway, and you've got a signal.

So that's my little 2¢ worth on the subject. I'm sure there are things that I left out, but pretty sure I got the main points.

We each have our priorities, and that will usually dictate which way we go. For me, since I'm full-time... it was pretty simple.

- Would I be content with just an SD signal in my house? No, I need HD

- Do I want to have to set-up, align, and pack-up the unit every time I change locations? No. Convenience is the key.

- Will I be comfortable leaving an expensive portable HD-unit sitting outside while I'm out & about on day trips or sleeping? No... we aren't taking a $15 chair, or $100 grill.

Your mileage may vary...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #15

Florida
This is why I decided to go with the tripod and sat dish for my direct tv HD. I anchor it to the ground with a trailer tie down strap so the wind doesn't take it out (withstood 50 mph winds in the carolina mountains). HD is my thang! I can deal with internet HD in the bedroom (direct tv app) from my ipad or with the smart TV in the living room and/or the 19.00 amazon firestick I bought. Great points as usual Tom.

almost forgot to mention. DirectTV does NOT get local channels when you travel out of your area. That means NBC, ABC, ETC will not be on your dish unless you call them and get them to change your area to the zip code you are in. ALL the other channels come in just fine with your home receiver in your RV . IF you are in that spot long enough, it will probably be worth the call.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #16

Florida
Once again, great write up.

I prefer a third option, my in-motion satellite dish on my MH. That thing tracks great going down the road. Although it is only SD, kids don't care.
I have even picked my exact spot on a site by using the signal strenght. LOL.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:29 AM   #17

Colorado
One thought to ATCguy's post. We have learned...the hard way... to pull into our site. Then raise the DirecTV HD dish and let it find the satellites...good to go.

Then...unhook and Auto Level. Voila, DirecTV !!

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote