Anti-sway Systems - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #1

Oregon
Anti-sway Systems

Will be taking possession of a new Kodiak Express 201QB this Friday. I will be towing it with a 2006 Tundra (4.7 V8) rated at a tow weight of 7200 with it's tow package. My question is whether an anti-sway hitch system would be something I should look into acquiring. I know it wouldn't hurt to have it but will it make a worthwhile difference?

I am open to anything that will make towing an easier, safer, and more enjoyable experience.

Thanks,
Dan

Sorry, I now see there is a towing sub-forum. Should have posted this there.

Researchhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #2

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Researchhound View Post
I am open to anything that will make towing an easier, safer, and more enjoyable experience.
You answered your own question
Even though you have a smaller camper the tongue weight will be way more than the mfg says it is. Also, campers are huge wind sails regardless of the weight. You can get a good weight distribution hitch with sway control for a few hundred dollars, money well spent imo. The dealer should have what you need.

They hooked my entire system up in the time it took to sign the paper work.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:18 PM   #3

Massachusetts
Hey there,
I just picked up my new Kodiak 201qb last week. I will be towing it with a 2016 Chevy Colorado, crew cab, long bed Diesel 4x4, Z71 package with a towing capacity of 7600lbs.
Here is the WD, anti sway hitch I ordered.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...4-00-0600.html
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #4

Florida
Wdh

I tow without one but I use a Anti-sway bar, I bought it at Harbor Freight for $25.00 but I do not need a Weight Distribution Hitch. Some people say you have to get one but I seem OK without a WDH. My truck sinks less than a inch when I hook up. I have towed in heavy cross winds and have had no trouble yet. No sway even when big rigs blast by me!! I say try it without one and if you need one get it later.
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:14 PM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Researchhound View Post
Will be taking possession of a new Kodiak Express 201QB this Friday. I will be towing it with a 2006 Tundra (4.7 V8) rated at a tow weight of 7200 with it's tow package. My question is whether an anti-sway hitch system would be something I should look into acquiring. I know it wouldn't hurt to have it but will it make a worthwhile difference?

Thanks,
Dan

Sorry, I now see there is a towing sub-forum. Should have posted this there.
I too own a 201QB and pull it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee (rated at 6,200 lbs). The owner's manual requires it for pulling anything over 3,500 pounds. I have a Curt TruTrack Trunnion Bar WDH and I love it. Easy to use and has away control to boot.
jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:31 AM   #6

Oregon
Thanks for the feedback guys. Have contacted the dealer and they'll have an anti-sway hitch system waiting and ready for install. Putting my brake controller into my truck tomorrow. Also have mirror extenders and heavy duty rubber wheel chocks coming tomorrow. Should be fairly well prepared for picking up the new rig and getting it home on Friday.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:11 PM   #7

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
... Some people say you have to get one but I seem OK without a WDH. My truck sinks less than a inch when I hook up...
Without knowing more information on the vehicle ratings and the TT loaded weight, that is not really good advice. At the very least, before you decide to tow without a WDH I would caution you to check the weight capacity of the hitch on your vehicle. There will be two ratings, one for "Weight Carrying", one for "with Weight Distributing system". It would not be wise to exceed your "weight carrying" capacity. There is a reason why the "weight carrying" rating is way less then the "WDH" rating.

Other things to consider are front and rear axle weights before and after hitching, axle ratings, etc. How much your truck sags is only one consideration. Overall, towing without a WDH is not such a good thing to go into blindly. And to suggest such without more info is not something I would do and especially to someone that it appears may not have towed a 5,400 lbs trailer before.
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:40 PM   #8

Florida
I just share my experience, It is up to the person to check and see if it is safe to tow with or without a WDH. My truck does not call for one it is "suggested" by Chevy to have one for anything over 7500lb. I tow a 2010 Dutchman 24RBSL with a 2016 Chevy 1500 the truck can tow up to 9400lb. and the trailer weighs 6000lb. fully loaded. The guy already bought a WDH from the dealer anyway. The dealers always try to sell everything extra they can to you it is the salesman job.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:51 PM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
... My truck does not call for one it is "suggested" by Chevy to have one for anything over 7500lb...
Your comment just reinforces my feeling that you don't understand the "Weight Carrying" rating of a hitch. The answer is not 7500 lbs.

The Weight Carrying rating is directly related to tongue weight of the trailer regardless of what the trailer weighs. A 7500 lbs trailer can have a tongue weight of 1500 lbs for instance. That would vastly exceed your 'Weight Carrying" rating of the hitch - in which case you absolutely need a WDH. The question is not what weight can your hitch pull; the question is what weight can your hitch carry "without a WDH".

1 Hitch, 2 ratings. Weight Carrying rating and Weight Distribution rating.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #10

Florida
Wdh

The Dutchman brochure states a 396 lb. hitch weight. The truck is 1/2 ton. I think I do understand a 1/2 ton truck can haul a 396 lb. hitch weight and a 6000 lb. travel trailer. It is rated to tow up to 9400 lbs. and payload of 1000 lb. add 2 people at 200 lbs. each and a full tank of gas 26 gallons of gas at 6.3 lbs. is 163 lbs still have enough for the dog! Anyway this is what I do and I do not tell anyone what to do.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:18 PM   #11

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthehunter View Post
Your comment just reinforces my feeling that you don't understand the "Weight Carrying" rating of a hitch. The answer is not 7500 lbs.
This subject has been explained and re-explained to masterblaster, even with outside source material form truck manufactures and insurance companies, he chooses to disregard it. We can only hope that others asking for towing help will listen to the many and not the one.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #12

Michigan
Alrighty then, you can only lead a horse to water.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #13

Florida
Wdh

All you guys who have WDH always tell everyone to get one even if not needed. It the old story if "I got sold one then everybody should have one" I am glad I listened to the old timers when they told me to try it without a WDH and if I felt that one was needed to buy it then.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:35 PM   #14

Michigan
First of all, the actual tongue weight of my TT exceeds the "weight carrying " rating of the hitch on my truck. It doesn't get any more straightforward than that.

Notice I referred to the term "actual" tongue weight, which is the weight after the TT is loaded ready for travel with all the options, pots, pans, food, bedding, water, battery, propane, camp chairs, etc. included. Not the number that Dutchmen published in a brochure of a weight for a bare bones TT as it sits before its the sold on the lot, and nothing loaded for camping.

Secondly, I guarantee if you have a 6000 lbs loaded trailer it has a tongue weight that is closer to 600 lbs or more. Probably real close to 700 lbs. That 396 lbs number is baloney.

Now, if anyone want the facts so they can make their own educated decision, you can get unbiased third party information at Learn & Research
Old 05-30-2017, 07:46 PM   #15

Florida
Wdh

The old timers told me not to overload the payload of the truck. Tow 15-20% less than the truck can tow. Get a cheap sway-bar for cross winds and big rigs passing on the highway. If the truck dips real bad in the back then you might need a WDH.
They said a lot of trailers do not need WDH . They said salesmen make extra money selling stuff people do not need. I am glad I listened to the old timers. I have seen people towing 25 foot trailers with big F350's with WDH on and always have a good laugh. Nothing like "overkill"!! If it makes anyone feel better then by all means get that $500.00+ WDH. The RV dealers need the extra money. They do not to much of a mark up on new travel trailers.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:22 AM   #16
Bob

Minnesota
Weight distribution

I have a 2017 Dutchmen Kodiak 201QB that I tow with a 2008 Toyota Highlander AWD. It tows easily with a weight distribution hick and and anti sway bar. Love this trailer.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:42 AM   #17

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I have a 2017 Dutchmen Kodiak 201QB that I tow with a 2008 Toyota Highlander AWD. It tows easily with a weight distribution hick and and anti sway bar. Love this trailer.
What is your suv rated to tow?
jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:58 AM   #18
Bob

Minnesota
5000 lbs with 500 lbs hitch weight.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:03 AM   #19

Oregon
Quote:
Hi Bob. We had a 2007 Highlander's for ten years but recently sold it and bought a 2017. But not planning on using it to two my Kodiak 201Q - my Tundra is getting that duty. My decision to get the WDH and anti-sway was based on my wanting to get the safest and easiest tow set up. I haven't towed it much so far but the performance was pretty good. May just need to tighten the chains up another link.

We too really like our new rig. Lots of nice features, a good floor plan, and nicely finished. Just hope it really is as well built as it appears to be. I know any trailer can potentially have problems but we take good care of our "stuff" so hopefully it will give us a number of years of good service.

As for the dealer trying to upsell me stuff, I didn't really have that experience. All the drain and water hoses were provided along with a water pressure regulator, a heavy duty electrical hookup and adapter, even a pretty nice bedspread for the queen bed. My decision to purchase the WDH and anti-sway were mine based on doing the research - not something the dealer hoodwinked me into getting.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:44 AM   #20

Florida
To much trailer

Quote:
5000 lbs with 500 lbs hitch weight.
That is to much weight even with a WDH for the vehicle.