Aerolite Sun Damage - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2017, 05:32 AM   #1

Arizona
Aerolite Sun Damage

This weekend we took out our 2016 282DBHS and noticed the first bit of damage from the Arizona sun. We've been parking it in Northern AZ near our favorite camping area in the summer and then back down in the Phoenix area in the winter for the past two years so I didn't expect what I saw considering we were avoiding the harsh Valley sun/temps in the summer. That said, we can see all of the framing/stud lines in the rear end of the trailer when looking at an angle. Has anyone had anything similar to this happen to them? Do you think it is merely a matter of oxidation where the framing and heating makes the outer fiberglass oxidize differently based on what's behind it? Do you think the entire rear end is failing and I need to look seriously into this? Is it purely cosmetic and I can pay a detailer to buff it out and remedy the situation? Is it even a big deal beyond how it looks or should I simply shut up and use the rig and not worry about it? I am very concerned about what I saw this weekend and would gladly welcome any input from anyone on this matter.

2016 Dutchmen Aerolite 282DBHS
2015 Ford F250 Diesel SRW
jcs1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #2

Florida
I live in South Florida and have a 2010 TT. The front cap has bubbles in it from heat the decals are cracking, it is dull from sun damage. They all do this. For me as long as they do not leak is the most important thing. I try not to look at the flaws in the TT and then it does not bother me. I wash mine at least 1 time a year and never put wax on it as this is a waste of time. I waxed it a year ago and after 2 weeks you could not even tell it was done. Take the money you are going to pay the RV detailer and go out to dinner and send me the rest. I will send you my address.

masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:20 PM   #3

Florida
You can always buy a cover! problem is where to keep the cover when it's off!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #4

Florida
Cover??

Not for me. Who wants to take a 200 pound TT cover off before you go camping? I use my TT to much to go through all that work. The dirt, mold and mildew help keep it clean when I wash it 1 time a year!! Go take it to a car wash and back it in and wash it off. Thats what I do and it works. Do what I do and everything will be OK!!
Old 09-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
Not for me. Who wants to take a 200 pound TT cover off before you go camping? I use my TT to much to go through all that work. The dirt, mold and mildew help keep it clean when I wash it 1 time a year!! Go take it to a car wash and back it in and wash it off. Thats what I do and it works. Do what I do and everything will be OK!!
LOL! You're quite right about the cover. never understood how folks use them but it seems like CW sells they by the truckload. probably a one-time use thing...
Old 09-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #6

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
LOL! You're quite right about the cover. never understood how folks use them but it seems like CW sells they by the truckload. probably a one-time use thing...
So the front cap of his RV looks like a piece of excrement (bubbles, cracking, sun damaged) but you can't understand why anyone would use a cover. By the way, my cover doesn't weigh anywhere even remotely close to 200 lbs.
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:02 PM   #7

Texas
touché!
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:04 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthehunter View Post
So the front cap of his RV looks like a piece of excrement (bubbles, cracking, sun damaged) but you can't understand why anyone would use a cover. By the way, my cover doesn't weigh anywhere even remotely close to 200 lbs.
it would be if it was wet!

yuk!
Old 09-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #9

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
it would be if it was wet!

yuk!
You must not be familiar with newer RV covers. Tyvek roofs (waterproof), vented side panels so they breathe. Very light and a far better alternative to letting one rot out in the sun.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:54 PM   #10

Florida
TT cover

o
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
You must not be familiar with newer RV covers. Tyvek roofs (waterproof), vented side panels so they breathe. Very light and a far better alternative to letting one rot out in the sun.
I live in South Florida and we get real nasty rain and wind storms here in the summer all most on a daily basis. I can't count how many ripped up TT covers the the French Canadians put on their RV's every summer. They go back up north and the dumpsters at the RV park are full of $200.00 to $500.00 RV covers when they come back. They do it every year and their RV's still look faded with heat bubbles and cracked decals. Like I said I use my TT to much to be bothered with a cover.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:03 PM   #11

Florida
CW covers

Great news I just got the CW catalog in the mail. All covers are on sale!! get 2 so when one rips off in a storm you will have a backup. They only cost between $204.99 - $357.99 free shipping!!