Aerolite 282DBHS delamination - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2016, 11:36 PM   #1

Texas
Aerolite 282DBHS delamination

HI everyone! Just discovered a delamination bubble on our 2014 Aerolite!! It's on the top right side, just below the front cap, and about the size of a big hand. Anyone else having this issue?? Is this covered by the warranty? We are taking it to get checked and would like to know what to expect. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Round Rock, TX
TheBonillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:49 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBonillas View Post
HI everyone! Just discovered a delamination bubble on our 2014 Aerolite!! It's on the top right side, just below the front cap, and about the size of a big hand. Anyone else having this issue?? Is this covered by the warranty? We are taking it to get checked and would like to know what to expect. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
Do you have a photo you can share? Can't picture the area. Sorry to hear this.

desertbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:47 AM   #3

North Carolina
just last june i noticed delam in our 2014 heartland cyclone. had a VERY, hard time with their warranty! in the end we traded. i just picked up our new 16 voltage last friday. let us know what you find
hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:41 PM   #4

Texas
Here is an update and some pictures…we purchased our 2014 Aerolite brand new at Camping World in April 2015. We have always kept it in a covered storage place and have taken it out maybe 10 times in the 2 yrs we have owned it. We took it to our local RV shop and they couldn’t find any evidence of leaks. They suggested that it could be poor manufacturing because there is delamination under both of the stickers and that’s normally associated with heat and drastic changes in temperatures. We are in TX! We called the manufacturer and they said to take it to CW for evaluation. We just dropped it off at CW and they said it will take a week to find out the root of the problem. They also said that it’s possible that it has to go back to Indiana for repairs and that could take several months. This is awful! Has anyone done this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Side.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	2953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Sticker.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	2954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Sticker2.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	2955  
Old 03-06-2016, 09:43 PM   #5

Illinois
Holy cow! That's terrible. Hoping they do you you right. Good luck.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:17 AM   #6

Delaware
I have the exact same thing on my 2014 282 although mine is only on the right side. I found the seal on the roof where the fiberglass meets the roof cracking. With the ripples I thought it was from water penetration. I am surprised that they are even offering to look at it.

Best of luck. I am interested in finding out how this turns out.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #7

Texas
SO, after a lot of negotiation, Geico agreed to fix our trailer. It will cost about $9K plus the $1,000 deductible. Dutchmen flat out refused to do anything for us! They demanded documented inspections and maintenance records for every 3 months in order to even consider the claim. Maybe I am naïve but I find it unlikely that people really go back to the dealer every 3 months for maintenance but what do I know! We are very disappointed with the product and their customer service! Turns out the delamination happened because some of the screws that hold the black front half cap in place became loose allowing in water and moisture. We keep the RV at a covered storage but it rained like crazy during our last trip to and back from Disney so we imagine that’s when it got wet. IMO that’s poor manufacturing because that front cap should have also been sealed and not just held in place with screws! We took the trailer in for inspections roughly every six months and no one noticed it was becoming loose. I guess it’s not something they actively look at during routine visits so, beware! It will take 2 months to complete the repair so we will be shopping for another brand in the meantime. Good luck everyone!
Round Rock, TX
Old 03-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #8

North Carolina
Really regretting buying our Aerolite last year... Just hoping we bought one that will stay relatively issue free for at least a few years.
WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:49 PM   #9

Texas
Dan, hopefully, your unit is a good one! Like I read once, it all depends on what moon phase they had when they put it together! They switched to a full cap in 2015 so maybe that's a better design. If you have the short front cap like ours, keep an eye on the screws or just seal the whole thing and pray you don't ever have to deal with Dutchmen!
Round Rock, TX
Old 03-14-2016, 06:00 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Dan, hopefully, your unit is a good one! Like I read once, it all depends on what moon phase they had when they put it together! They switched to a full cap in 2015 so maybe that's a better design. If you have the short front cap like ours, keep an eye on the screws or just seal the whole thing and pray you don't ever have to deal with Dutchmen!
I disagree, it has nothing to do with the phase of the moon and everything to do with push them out the door as fast as you can and worry about it if they get caught.

Ninety percent of the defects are owner resolved, so that gives Dutchmen plenty of time to fight the other ten percent. Of those ten percent Ninety percent of the claims are denied or the owner abandons it out of frustration.

We decided weren't going to give the RV fat cats any more of our hard earned retirement funds decided to upgrade our rig from the running gear up.

Just remember that Thor Industries owns Dutchmen, so if you want to make a statement make sure that you don't buy another Thor product.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:04 PM   #11

Texas
...Yes, unfortunately, they make almost everything!

Airstream manufactures trade names: Airstream International, Classic Limited, Sport, Flying Cloud, Land Yacht and Eddie Bauer. Airstream also sells the Interstate and Autobahn Class B motorhomes.

Bison Coach sells equestrian recreational vehicle products under trade names such as Premiere, Silverado, Ranger, Laredo, Trail Boss and Trail Hand.

CrossRoads RV include Sequoia, Cameo, Carriage, Sunset Trail, Cruiser, Zinger, Z-1, ReZerve, Rushmore, Elevation, Redwood and Hampton.

Cruiser RV include Enterra, Fun Finder, Radiance, Shadow Cruiser and ViewFinder Signature, as well as the Stryker brand of toy haulers.

DRV’s include Mobile Suites, Mobile Suites Estates, Elite Suites and Tradition. DRV joined the Thor family of companies through its acquisition by Heartland Recreational Vehicles in January 2015.

Dutchmen produces Aerolite, Aspen Trail, Coleman, Denali, Dutchmen, Kodiak, Razorback, Rubicon and Voltage.

Heartland RV brands include Landmark, Bighorn, Big Country, Gateway, ElkRidge, Sundance, North Trail, Wilderness, Prowler, Trail Runner, Fairfield, Cyclone, Road Warrior, Torque and the Breckenridge line of park models and destination homes.

Keystone RV brands include Montana, Springdale, Hideout, Sprinter, Outback, Laredo, Alpine, Bullet, Fuzion, Raptor, Passport and Cougar.

K-Z produces Durango, MXT, Sportsmen, Spree, Venom, Venture and Vision.

Livin’ Lite RV brands include Quicksilver, Camplite, Axxess, Quicksilver VRV, Bearcat and a variety of private label brands.

TMC’s products are sold under trade names such as Four Winds, Hurricane, Windsport, Chateau, Challenger, Tuscany, Outlaw, Axis, Vegas, Palazzo and A.C.E.

Round Rock, TX
Old 03-14-2016, 10:08 PM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
Thor is a parent company, many of the manufacturers operate independently (relatively speaking) under the Thor corporate umbrella, it can be a good thing and a bad thing. Forest River has a similar situation, where they make some things directly and have other companies like Coachmen and Dynamax that are subsidiaries. There are a few truly independent manufacturers out there but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:19 AM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
Yes, we bought our 2015 new and so far zero issues. I'm pretty handy so I'll probably tackle most anything myself as I can probably fix it faster and better than letting it sit at a dealer for weeks on end.

Perhaps it is luck of the draw. We have a 1500 mile tow coming up. Wish us well!
WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:19 AM   #14

Tennessee
2013-14 delamination

Indeed I have the same issue and seems to be in the exact same place as yours. Understand I baby this thing. It stays indoors (warehouse) with a cover!!!! I have contacted the dealership I purchased from, and spoke to Dutchmen on three occasions with appeals and re-appeals. Unfortunately they respectfully decline any warranty help. I have spent a significant time with letters and phone calls to Dutchmen with no help at all. I am very disappointed in their product and will Never buy a Dutchmen again. In fact I am making a point of leaving it until the Spring so others can see what type of product they put on the road. We have made 7 trips this year, and taking a rather long trip up the east coast in October. I will continue to spread the word. It looks like I am up to fork over 2k-4k to have it fixed. I am contemplating purchasing the front fiberglass clips the 2015 units have on the front but cannot get a straight answer from the shop manager on the fit. typing this correspondence just simply makes me mad. I wish you well on your fix!
Tractormantn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:32 AM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
...Yes, unfortunately, they make almost everything!

Airstream manufactures trade names: Airstream International, Classic Limited, Sport, Flying Cloud, Land Yacht and Eddie Bauer. Airstream also sells the Interstate and Autobahn Class B motorhomes.

Bison Coach sells equestrian recreational vehicle products under trade names such as Premiere, Silverado, Ranger, Laredo, Trail Boss and Trail Hand.

CrossRoads RV include Sequoia, Cameo, Carriage, Sunset Trail, Cruiser, Zinger, Z-1, ReZerve, Rushmore, Elevation, Redwood and Hampton.

Cruiser RV include Enterra, Fun Finder, Radiance, Shadow Cruiser and ViewFinder Signature, as well as the Stryker brand of toy haulers.

DRV’s include Mobile Suites, Mobile Suites Estates, Elite Suites and Tradition. DRV joined the Thor family of companies through its acquisition by Heartland Recreational Vehicles in January 2015.

Dutchmen produces Aerolite, Aspen Trail, Coleman, Denali, Dutchmen, Kodiak, Razorback, Rubicon and Voltage.

Heartland RV brands include Landmark, Bighorn, Big Country, Gateway, ElkRidge, Sundance, North Trail, Wilderness, Prowler, Trail Runner, Fairfield, Cyclone, Road Warrior, Torque and the Breckenridge line of park models and destination homes.

Keystone RV brands include Montana, Springdale, Hideout, Sprinter, Outback, Laredo, Alpine, Bullet, Fuzion, Raptor, Passport and Cougar.

K-Z produces Durango, MXT, Sportsmen, Spree, Venom, Venture and Vision.

Livin’ Lite RV brands include Quicksilver, Camplite, Axxess, Quicksilver VRV, Bearcat and a variety of private label brands.

TMC’s products are sold under trade names such as Four Winds, Hurricane, Windsport, Chateau, Challenger, Tuscany, Outlaw, Axis, Vegas, Palazzo and A.C.E.

Luis and Mory,

It would probably be easier to list what Thor doesn't own. I gave up trying to keep tack a long time ago. I just look the new take over, there goes another one.

My eyes got crossed up, but I think you missed Jayco, that was the most recent that I read about.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #16

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractormantn1 View Post
Indeed I have the same issue and seems to be in the exact same place as yours. Understand I baby this thing. It stays indoors (warehouse) with a cover!!!! I have contacted the dealership I purchased from, and spoke to Dutchmen on three occasions with appeals and re-appeals. Unfortunately they respectfully decline any warranty help. I have spent a significant time with letters and phone calls to Dutchmen with no help at all. I am very disappointed in their product and will Never buy a Dutchmen again. In fact I am making a point of leaving it until the Spring so others can see what type of product they put on the road. We have made 7 trips this year, and taking a rather long trip up the east coast in October. I will continue to spread the word. It looks like I am up to fork over 2k-4k to have it fixed. I am contemplating purchasing the front fiberglass clips the 2015 units have on the front but cannot get a straight answer from the shop manager on the fit. typing this correspondence just simply makes me mad. I wish you well on your fix!

I have the same issue, in the exact same spot on mine. I looked into doing the work myself and checked into the full fiberglass cap.

The full cap is just about $1500 for the part and shipping it would be a huge problem to a house.

Trekwood RV Parts - Aerolite / 2014 / Front / Rear Caps / Cap / Cap - Front - Fiberglass - 2014 - Aerolite - White & Primer - TT

Replacing the grey piece between the top fiberglass and the diamond plate is more cost effective at around $525 for the part.

Trekwood RV Parts - Aerolite / 2014 / Front / Rear Caps / Cap / Filon - Luan - 96" x 100" - Aztec Gray - Aerolite

Again shipping could be problematic. Ultimately I think this is the route I will go.

I don't think water is the cause (at least in my case). I think it is poor construction.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:58 PM   #17

Florida
Cap Delamination

Sorry to see the delamination. I have some on my 2010 Dutchman Kodiak 24RBS. It is showing up on the curve about 2 feet down and across the top. I bought it 7 months ago. It came like that. The salesman said it was from the Florida summer heat, and not to worry about it. It has not gotten any worse and we have camped and drove in pouring rain a few times. I have not noticed any leaks. I store it outside in a field in Florida. What I did was used 4 inch etrnabond tape on the front seal and caulked the side moldings with RV caulk. I know it is like putting a band-aid on a gun shot wound but as long as I do not have any water intrusion I guess I have to live with it. I have noticed that if I do not look at it it does not bother me. "out of sight out of mind" These campers do not seem to last that long and are built on the cheap. I figure if I get 5 years out of it will only cost me like $2,000 a year. About $200 a month that is like 1 night in a hotel. We have used it alot so far. We have had a great time camping in it. Just seal it up the best you can and try not to look at it. That is what I do.
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:27 AM   #18

Texas
I like your style.
It's not gonna stop you from your RV Adventures.

Not everyone can do that.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:25 PM   #19

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractormantn1 View Post

Tractorman,

Do get mad, get even. Forget the dealer and go to the professionals in body repair. If it were me, I would take the camper to a bodyshop and let the pros look it over and give you an informed opinion on the doablility of the job.

I presume you are looking at buying the OEM product, check with the online supplier and find the manufacturers name and contact them. They should be able to tell you if what you are proposing will work, after all they do have the CAD drawings.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:55 PM   #20

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by prm99v6 View Post
I have the same issue, in the exact same spot on mine. I looked into doing the work myself and checked into the full fiberglass cap.

The full cap is just about $1500 for the part and shipping it would be a huge problem to a house.

I don't think water is the cause (at least in my case). I think it is poor construction.

You could have the piece shipped to the freight companies terminal for pick-up there, saves big time on shipping using a frieght company over the other means. It's the only way I will ship the big stuff and there is always plenty of help to get you loaded up.

The cause may be related to construction, like contamination with dust, then moisture and heat sstart doing their dirty work.