Aerolite 282DBHS delamination - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #21

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
You could have the piece shipped to the freight companies terminal for pick-up there, saves big time on shipping using a frieght company over the other means. It's the only way I will ship the big stuff and there is always plenty of help to get you loaded up.

The cause may be related to construction, like contamination with dust, then moisture and heat sstart doing their dirty work.
Agree with the terminal if they are close. Trekwood wants 225 to ship the replacement Filon piece to my house.

Filon - Luan - 96" x 100" - Aztec Gray - Aerolite [Keystone 418279]
1 $528.31
Subtotal: $528.31
Shipping: $225.00
Total (before tax): $753.31

I had the same thing happen to one of my interior ceiling panels. It started to bubble 3 months after I got the camper. It hasn't spread and is bone dry. I just didn't have any confidence in a dealer taking out all of my kitchen cabinets to replace the roof panel so I never got it fixed. I actually had Keystone extend my warranty 6 months for that and the air conditioning design nightmare they install in these things.

As for the front cap, if it there was water behind it the interior luan would have water marks by now. It's like the Sahara (I checked with a moisture meter) in both my front closets and above bed cabinets.

I was also thinking of just replacing it with black diamond plate (continuing whats already there) up the entire front.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:12 AM   #22

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by prm99v6 View Post
As for the front cap, if it there was water behind it the interior luan would have water marks by now. It's like the Sahara (I checked with a moisture meter) in both my front closets and above bed cabinets.

I was also thinking of just replacing it with black diamond plate (continuing whats already there) up the entire front.
Contamination can happen during the maufacturing process, it can even be moisture trapped in the laminate. Once the camper is in used the heat and you begin the expansion and contraction in the substrate and the bubble grows. Lots of them running around and look rather ugly, but they are water tight.

We had a manufacturer that didn't survive 2008, fine quality built campers, built in the southern interior of BC. They got a batch sidewall panels that had dust contamination in the finish surface as the little bumps, they went through a couple of winters and started popping like zits. The walls were still water tight, but them little pimples looked ugly. Some folks went for the ultimate fix and some just sanded an filled the divots then painted the walls.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:52 PM   #23

Washington
Same Issue

My 2013 Aerolite has the same issue with the front delaminating. The upper black top was replaced twice under warranty and now the gray filon is bubbling. It started last summer in Moab where it was 105+ degrees for a week. Ours has been kept in a carport and has only seen maybe a week of rain.

The first warranty repair was during the first year and the dealership drug their feet for over four months (I'm sure hoping to run my warranty out). It was covered and the second time (three months after getting it back) the seam split again. The first time was deemed a manufacturer defect as they "forgot" to put the seal in between the fiberglass cap and the filon front. With the addition of the seal, it happened again and it was like pulling rhinoceros teeth to get it fixed. I'm three years out of warranty now so am debating on getting whatever I can for trade-in or paying the repair. Waiting to see what the estimate is for the cap replacement.

I find it funny that Dutchmen only made this design for two years before switching to a full front cap..... Makes me wonder how many warranty claims they had on this poor design. It's unfortunate because we love the trailer other than the constant nightmares of the front cap. I just thought I'd share my encounter with this same make/model in hopes to save someone else the drama of becoming owners of such poor workmanship.
jcrum80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:26 AM   #24

Tennessee
Front cap Dutchmen 282DBHS

Had the same issue with my front cap, or three piece design. Went round and round with Dutchmen and Thor with no luck. I am extremely disappointing in the result. I baby this thing and make frequent repairs that are far greater than any dealer. I spoke to the plant manager and he validated the design was poor, and they scrapped the three piece design in the later of 2014. I finally gave in and this past week took it to camping world for a removal of the three piece design, and replace it with the single cap. The cost: 7600$. My insurance covered the repair and I suspect I will eventually pay for it via increase in premiums.

My recommendation: stay clear of any of the thor products. I will never buy one of their products again. And definitely passing the word to others.
Tractormantn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:26 PM   #25

Washington
I agree with you in that Thor is now all about the almighty buck and mass producing products as fast as they can sell them. Dealers seem to have a fair amount of pressure to sell product but then don't have service accommodations or personnel to support the number of units they sell. I got lucky and was able to sell my Aerolite to someone well aware of it's issues, so I took a bit of a hit so they could fix the front much like you did. I have decided to now go with a Northwood (Nash product) which is one of the few that aren't under the Thor umbrella. I've only had it a couple months but so far I'm much more satisfied with the quality so far along with the service support which Northwood takes a bit more seriously.
jcrum80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #26

Indiana
Well I'm not too happy to see this thread. We just bought a 2014 282DBHS, and I noticed during my walkaround that it needed sealed up between the upper half-cap and the luan, but I didn't figure it would be this drastic.

What is underneath the black cap? Can it just be removed completely, or does the luan stop at the seam?

Other than that the rig is in great shape and we were impressed with it.