Aerolite 174E Mounting 24" TV - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2015, 08:51 PM   #1

Colorado
Aerolite 174E Mounting 24" TV

So I'm a new Aerolite 174E (2016) owner. I want to mount a 24" TV and there is room, but I won't be able to mount it where the sticker shows. My idea was to screw a long screw through to the outside, seal it, and put a nut on the end. I'm concerned about drilling through not knowing what is in the wall at that location.

Has anyone done anything like this? Is it safe to drill through to mount a TV where I want it?

adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:38 AM   #2

South Carolina
No, you don't want to pierce the skin! You're opening yourself to eventual water damage, and seriously devaluing the unit by such a mod. Instead, find the wall studs (using a stud finder) in the area where you want the TV. Then mount a 1x6xwhatever, stained and finished, across the studs, using at least 4 wood screws through the 1x6, and into the studs. Then you can mount a TV mount anywhere on your new mounting board.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:48 AM   #3

Colorado
Thank you!

So you are saying underneath the wall there are wood studs? I could mount say a piece of plywood and screw it into multiple studs?

What length of screws should I use to ensure I don't go through the skin?
adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:05 AM   #4

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1115 View Post
Thank you!
So you are saying underneath the wall there are wood studs? I could mount say a piece of plywood and screw it into multiple studs?
What length of screws should I use to ensure I don't go through the skin?
Exactly! Long enough to go through the mounting board, plus about one inch. Figure the "studs" are really 1x1xs. To be extra sure, remove an outlet, or cable outlet from that wall. You'll be able to measure from the interior edge of the wall to the skin will probably be about one inch. Even if there is insulation, you can measure with a piece of wire.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote