Add-a-room - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #1

Ontario
Add-a-room

We have a 2013 Kodiak 279 RBSL. Anyone put an add-a-room onto their trailer? What kind?? The black flies in Northern Ontario are bad!! A screen room would allow us to continue to sit outside.

Snaporangebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:41 AM   #2

British Columbia
I looked at add a room and decided against it. If the wind picks up and I need to retract the awning, then I would have to remove the add a room first and at that point may be too late to prevent damage. If you decide to go with the AAR, deactivate the auto retract feature of your awning if equipped.

After all was said and done the Walmart EZ up tent with the optional solid panel has been in use for 3 years now without a hiccup and I can set it up with very little help if any. They typically sell for around 100 CDN and last for quite awhile if treated with care.

Cheers
Daryl B.

grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #3

Ontario
I had one from Carefree. I personally hated it. Like Grump said, if the weather gets bad, you have to pull it in anyways. Also I never got the fit right. Always looked baggy and there wasn't a good seal around the trailer.

What I did end up purchasing was a Eureka Northern Breeze shelter. Full walls that can be raised when weather is good. Good quality mesh to keep the bugs out. 2 entrance options with awnings. Really good shelter. Also takes minutes to set up. When its raining outside, my family will sit in the shelter and play board games etc.. great extra space vs. being stuck in the trailer for long periods of time.
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:37 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
I have had Add a rooms on a couple of campers and have used them in all kinds of weather. I would put the arms out in carport style, stake them down, then guy the awning with straps and springs. Then pitch the room. Never lost one and have had them up in 45mph gusty winds along the coast.

Now we use a EZup style shelter with screen or solid wall attachments. I believe mine came from Dicks Sporting Goods and I got the whole thing for ~$100 on their fall clearance sale.

If we hit a spell of really wet weather I can also string tarps. I have at least one 30x60

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote