Adapter hose: Kodiak Propane Port to Grill that uses disposable bottles - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #1

Adapter hose: Kodiak Propane Port to Grill that uses disposable bottles

Finally found a connection hose that will go from the built-in propane port on the trailer to a grill that uses portable propane bottles. The Kodiak 242RESL came with a bumper mount grill that I don't care for. I was looking to change to either a Coleman Roadtrip, Weber Q or Charbroil X-200.

All of these use the 1 pound disposable propane bottles. I've seen Youtubes on how to remove the regulator and convert them to a direct connect, but I don't want to do that. I want to leave the ability to use portable bottles. I am aware that the built-in trailer system has it's own regulator and that if I simple connect to the grills regulator, the effect will be that the gas is double regulated. It won't matter! The primary complaint on most of these little grills is they get too hot. Double regulating will only reduce that problem. I've seen many threads where users say 'it just doesn't matter' and the two regulator issue is a non-issue.

The solution is sold by Calore Equipment's Magento line as RV Quick Connect Hose with 1"-20 Disposable Bottle Male Connection. Click the name, it's a link to the product at the Calore site.

For $27 it's the solution I was looking for. The hose standard length is 4 feet. You can order it longer by adding ($3-6'; $8-10'; $12-12').

hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #2

British Columbia
I have used a conversion hose for many years, it pays for itself in one 20# tank of propane, vs 20 - 1# bottles.

The only time having an appliance "double regulated" would be if the portable appliance required more pressure than the campers regulated pressure.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #3

New York
Once you have used this, could you please post back on the "double regulator" issue???? Tell us what happens with the heat.....
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #4

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
I have used a conversion hose for many years, it pays for itself in one 20# tank of propane, vs 20 - 1# bottles.

The only time having an appliance "double regulated" would be if the portable appliance required more pressure than the campers regulated pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
Once you have used this, could you please post back on the "double regulator" issue???? Tell us what happens with the heat.....
Very interesting and timely post. I just finished installing 3 heavy duty quick connect/discontent in my 3905. One for a heater in my garage, one for a heater in my living area, and one for a BBQ on the outside. I went to the hardware store this morning to get the items I needed to finish the BBQ hookup and they told me it would not work as the BBQ had it's own regulator and needed a high pressure hose and that I would not get enough flame with it double regulated . Since everything was plumbed in I proceeded with my project. It did not have enough flame.

Don't know what to do now other than redo plumbing and remove the BBQ connector. I would need to move the connector to a high pressure line. The only place I see this is the at the short hose between the propane tank and the trailer regulator.

I wish I would have know this two days ago.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #5

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
Very interesting and timely post. I just finished installing 3 heavy duty quick connect/discontent in my 3905. One for a heater in my garage, one for a heater in my living area, and one for a BBQ on the outside. I went to the hardware store this morning to get the items I needed to finish the BBQ hookup and they told me it would not work as the BBQ had it's own regulator and needed a high pressure hose and that I would not get enough flame with it double regulated . Since everything was plumbed in I proceeded with my project. It did not have enough flame.

Don't know what to do now other than redo plumbing and remove the BBQ connector. I would need to move the connector to a high pressure line. The only place I see this is the at the short hose between the propane tank and the trailer regulator.

I wish I would have know this two days ago.
Thank you for the feedback...that is exactly what I thought was going to be the answer!
Old 12-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #6

Arkansas
Double Regulated

I thought the following You Tube video was very good at explaining the double regulator issue. The video is about 8 minutes and you have to watch it all the way through to get the whole story about double regulated LP gas.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #7

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb5146 View Post
I thought the following You Tube video was very good at explaining the double regulator issue. The video is about 8 minutes and you have to watch it all the way through to get the whole story about double regulated LP gas.
Thanks for the attempt but this fix does not apply to a quick connect that is down line from the RV regulator then hooked up to the regulated BBQ. Mine is just a little weber grill and I have 3 regulators for it. I am going to try to modify the regulator. First by seeing if I can get inside it. And if not I will drill the tiny outlet hole one # bit size at a time. If it works and I don't blow myself up I will paint the regulator RED and never attach it to a high pressure line.

I have not idea if it will work. If not the need to move my quick connect to the high pressure side and re-plumb the work I have done.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #8

Oklahoma
If you could adapt an adjustable regulator as shown above you might have a better chance. The adjustable will allow you to increase the WC pressure without drilling holes or your fingers.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #9

Saskatchewan
I had done this for my Coleman Road Trip grill. I could not use the hose you show as is, as the Road Trip grill has a regulator built into the assembly that connects to the disposable bottles. Double-regulating did not allow a strong enough flow of propane to the grill.

Instead, I had a hose made up at my local propane shop. I also ordered a second regulator assembly from Coleman so I could take it apart and just use the end of it that connects to the grill. I also put a T valve on it so I could use 2 things at once, i.e. the Road Trip and the camper grill.

Dave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-14_13-34-24_992.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	772   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-14_13-32-38_368.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	773   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-14_13-31-38_976.jpg
Views:	2749
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	774  
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #10

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by knesdad View Post
I had done this for my Coleman Road Trip grill. I could not use the hose you show as is, as the Road Trip grill has a regulator built into the assembly that connects to the disposable bottles. Double-regulating did not allow a strong enough flow of propane to the grill.

Instead, I had a hose made up at my local propane shop. I also ordered a second regulator assembly from Coleman so I could take it apart and just use the end of it that connects to the grill. I also put a T valve on it so I could use 2 things at once, i.e. the Road Trip and the camper grill.

Dave.
So is your T valve coming off of the high pressure or low pressure side of your system. If it is off the low pressure side how and why does it work as it would be double regulated. If it is off of the high pressure side, is that high pressure hose I am looking at. I thought high pressure hose was of smaller diameter.

On edit.....After looking at your photos again. That does look like high pressure hose.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #11

New York
Dave - can you list the parts you (or your propane dealer) used.....this is exactly what we are looking to do....
Old 12-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #12

Saskatchewan
Arian, the T plugs into the low pressure end that sits at the back of the camper. There is no regulator anywhere in the assembly. It's all regulated at the tanks up front.

Leo, no problem. I'll grab the hose and write down the part numbers for you.

Dave.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #13

New York
Thank you
Old 01-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #14

Camco 57274 High Pressure to Low Pressure convert

I've run in to some others that had a slightly different issue. Basically, removing the regulator on the high pressure grill amounts to also removing the gas control knob as it is built into the regulator (especially on the portables). The best solution I've found for that is to order the Camco #57274 $11.90 Walmart online.

This installation involves removing the regulator/control knob assembly at the point where it screws into the flame tube. Then you screw this Camco in its place. If you already had a different low pressure grill that came with your trailer, you can still use the came quick connect hose, otherwise Camco sells a quick connect hose too.

This video shows you how to do it.

Regards,
Bill
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Camco57274.pdf (227.0 KB, 93 views)
Old 01-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #15

Massachusetts
I bought that same valve a few weeks ago for that reason. I haven't tried it yet though. I suspect most of those small table top grills use that same regulator so they should work with that valve. I also bought a 10' hose so I can move the grill further from the trailer.
P3 brake controller, Tow-N-See mirrors, TM-508 TPMS
cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:26 AM   #16

Saskatchewan
The Roadtrip Grills by Coleman do not have the gas control knob connected to the regulator assembly, thus I did not have that problem. As soon as I can get into the shed where the camper is stored I'll have some parts numbers for people. Thanks for your patience...

Dave.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:12 AM   #17

New York
Thanks Dave!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #18

Washington
We bought that hose last summer. The double regulator does not work at all on our Coleman Road Trip grill. I think that if we want to get away from the 1lb bottles, we will have to remove the grill's regulator. I am still thinking about that one.
Seattle Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #19

Saskatchewan
Seattle Lion,

Go on the Coleman website and order another Regulator Assembly for your specific Road Trip Grill. Unfortunately the website says that they are "Temporarily Unavailable" so you might have to call them.

Unthread the regulator from the chrome elbow and have your propane shop attach the elbow to your hose with the right connector. Then you can attach the hose to your grill just like you would with the assembly for a propane bottle. You have now bypassed double regulation.

Dave.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:38 AM   #20

Convert WeberQ 1000,1200,100 or 120 for RV connect and optionally still have throw away bottle option. Cost is $26.93, add $18 more to retain throw away use.

Parts from Calore Equipment
Model 250 Quick Connect X 1/8" MNPT $18.00 (by a 2nd one for the throw away option)
Model 250 Male Plug X 1/8" MNPT $6.00

Parts from Lowes:
Watts LFA-706 Brass Female Pipe Coupler (1/8" FIP to 1/8" FIP) $2.93

Steps:
1) Remove regulator by unscrewing the regulator from the WeberQ. You should end up with an exposed 1/8" MNPT (a male threaded piece poking out from behind the Weber's control knob).
2) Screw/attach the Watts LFA-706 to the Weber 1/8 MNPT that's sticking out.
3) Screw attach the Model 250 1/8" MNPT end of the Male Plug to the other end of the LFA-706
4) Your RV's propane hose should now just attach to the Male Plug.
5) (THROW AWAY OPTION) Screw/insert the second Model 250 1/8" MNPT end of the Quick Connect into the regulator you just removed from the WeberQ. If you want to make your Weber portable again, just push the Quick Connect end onto that new Male Plug you just installed.
Final note. Suggest using pipe tape on all these connects. Be sure to check for leaks.