6+ gallons of antifreeze... 242BHS - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2015, 02:25 PM   #21

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcarte View Post
.... I will also have to see if the pick-up hose in the fresh water tank is set properly; something tells me that it is either too short or they pushed too much into the tank that it curled up and is not near the bottom.....
You don't want the pickup hose on the bottom. You want it above the bottom a little bit. All the dirt and gunk will settle to the bottom of the tank, you want the pickup hose to be above that.

nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:30 PM   #22

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthehunter View Post
You don't want the pickup hose on the bottom. You want it above the bottom a little bit. All the dirt and gunk will settle to the bottom of the tank, you want the pickup hose to be above that.
Maybe not the very bottom, but I try hard not to have dirt and gunk in the fresh water tank. We drink from it, but we keep it clean by frequent flushing, bleaching, and occasionally using baking soda after the bleach. Probably clean it four times a season.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:25 AM   #23

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Maybe not the very bottom, but I try hard not to have dirt and gunk in the fresh water tank. We drink from it, but we keep it clean by frequent flushing, bleaching, and occasionally using baking soda after the bleach. Probably clean it four times a season.
I agree, it should be just above the bottom of the tank.

I went out to the trailer yesterday and drained the antifreeze from the fresh water tank. As I mentioned I had to use 5 gallons in order for the pump to properly distribute the antifreeze through the lines. To my surprise, there was only about 1.5 gallons in the tank; the rest must have been dumped into the grey/black tanks when I was pumping it through the lines. (Oh and yes I did have the bypass engaged on the hot water tank)

Question: After you pump the antifreeze through the lines, does anyone else remove the faucet stem valves and spigot's or do you just leave them all connected? Just curious as to what others do.

Thanks!

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #24
Site Team

North Carolina
The only thing I have ever disassembled has been the outside shower after I cracked it because I forgot to run anti-freeze through it.

The idea behind the anti-freeze is to protect all of the plumbing system. As long as you ran it through the faucets and it is only going to stay there for a few months I don't see any need to disassemble them.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #25

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcarte View Post
Question: After you pump the antifreeze through the lines, does anyone else remove the faucet stem valves and spigot's or do you just leave them all connected? Just curious as to what others do.

Thanks!
What Aaron said.

I don't don't take anything apart that is functioning as it is supposed to.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:59 PM   #26

Ohio
On my 26' Aerolite hybrid, it takes just under a gallon. Are you sure you have the hot water heater "by-pass" set right".
2013 Aerolite hybrid #232ES
2014 Toyota Tundra double cab 5.7L
superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #27

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by superslif View Post
On my 26' Aerolite hybrid, it takes just under a gallon. Are you sure you have the hot water heater "by-pass" set right".
Absolutely set right. I pulled the drain plug again and verified there is no antifreeze getting into the hot water tank...
WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #28

Ohio
Going back to page 2 of this post you stated that you were putting the RV antifreeze into the fresh water tank, correct? I think most people take the input fitting off at the water pump, attach a two foot hose to that, and put the other end into the gallon jug of antifreeze. If you were putting it in to the fresh water tank I could see where depending at what angle the trailer was parked at and just where the pick up or low end of the fresh water tank is, it may take many gallons of pink stuff to reach the water pump....

The first year we had our old 2005 Aerolite, we did the same thing. (added pink stuff to the fresh tank). You don't need to winterize the fresh tank, it will be fine. You need to access the water pump and take off the hose leading into the pump, get a fitting (braided nipple fitting) with a two foot section of clear hose. Turn the pump on and let it "suck" till the pump stops running.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #29

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by superslif View Post
Going back to page 2 of this post you stated that you were putting the RV antifreeze into the fresh water tank, correct? I think most people take the input fitting off at the water pump, attach a two foot hose to that, and put the other end into the gallon jug of antifreeze. If you were putting it in to the fresh water tank I could see where depending at what angle the trailer was parked at and just where the pick up or low end of the fresh water tank is, it may take many gallons of pink stuff to reach the water pump....

The first year we had our old 2005 Aerolite, we did the same thing. (added pink stuff to the fresh tank). You don't need to winterize the fresh tank, it will be fine. You need to access the water pump and take off the hose leading into the pump, get a fitting (braided nipple fitting) with a two foot section of clear hose. Turn the pump on and let it "suck" till the pump stops running.
Exactly, i tried going through the water tank on mine because the water pump is only accessible if you take the hot water tank out, after dumping 3 gallons in the water tank with no result, I went to the air system which works perfectly for free.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:56 PM   #30

Ohio
I see....Funny you should say that. On my 2013 Aerolite 232es hybrid, the first time I went to winterize, I couldn't "find" the water pump. I could here it, just couldn't find it. Here it was under the frig, tucked all the way to the wall and NO access panel to get to it. I think Aerolite screwed up. Since I was still under warranty, I had them cut a access panel and remount the water pump just inside the removable panel. So now it is easy to get to. Some how you should have access to the water pump. I thought I was the only one where the design team messed up. I wonder how many more 2013 & 2014 Aerolite products are built this way.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:05 PM   #31

Ohio
I understand. Funny you should mention that about the location of the water pump. I had the same issue on my 2013 Aerolite 232es hybrid. The first time I went to winterize, I could hear the water pump, but I couldn't locate it. here it was under the frig, tucked all the way to the outside wall. Since I was still under warranty, and had a few other warranty items to be taken care of in the fall of 2012, I had the cut a access panel under the frig and remount the pump closer to the front. I though I was the only one where the factory design team messed up. Your going to have to get that changed.

I wonder how many other 2013 & 2014 products made by Dutchman this over-site was done on having a un-accessable water pump.