261rbsl - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2020, 06:07 PM   #1

Pennsylvania
261rbsl

Just curious if anyone on here has this model and which hitch setup you are running. This thing tows terrible with slight wind

Jwill8957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:48 PM   #2

Wisconsin
How does it behave? Does it bounce and buck? Does it wag left and right? Can you be more specific about the issue?

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:50 AM   #3

Pennsylvania
It doesn’t really buck or bounce any more than a regular trailer does it more so pushes side to side
Jwill8957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #4

Wisconsin
The wag is often called "sway". There a number of contributing causes. Some are external and some are from your rig configuration.

Tongue weight is the major cause of sway. Tongue weight must be at least 10% of TT actual weight. 15% is more stable. Published tongue weights are usually fictitious. They are often simply calculated from TT dry weight.

There are various methods for measuring tongue weight. You can buy a tongue weight gauge on Amazon or from etrailer.com for about $130. It will be easily portable and simple to use.

You can use the bathroom scale method. This method is cumbersome and a little complected. There are u tube videos and other sources for instructions.

You can take your fully loaded rig to a commercial CAT scale and get axle weights for tow vehicle and TT. Reweigh tow vehicle alone. The difference in tow vehicle weight with and without the TT is the tongue weight.

Tongue weight must be at least 10% of TT weight.

Other factors that have some effect on sway are tires and tire pressure on both TT and TV. Raising tire pressure usually stiffens the ride and helps to stabilize. Check sidewall labeling for maximum cold pressures. Heavy duty tires on both units usually help.

Tow vehicle suspension also affects sway. A TT too heavy for the tow vehicle affects sway. Longer TT's sway more due to wind and pressure waves from passing large trucks. Miss-alignment of TT dual axles can cause sway.

Weight distribution hitches are usually required for towing travel trailers. Some have sway limiting devices built in. Some have attachments that can be added to limit sway.

All in all, tongue weight is the elephant in the room. Tire pressure adjustment is easy to do. I recommend you do these things first.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #5

Arizona
Let's begin at the beginning. What is needed to be able to give good advice is:
Trailer gross weight & length, you may want to put it on a scale.

Vehicle make model & cargo capacity. Check sticker on door post.

Number of usual passengers & amount of cargo in bed.

Type of hitch
Left shoe size( just kidding here)
These are the numbers needed to calculate your capacity & tongue weight. Once that is done concrete solutions can be offered.
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 02:54 AM   #6

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwill8957 View Post
Just curious if anyone on here has this model and which hitch setup you are running. This thing tows terrible with slight wind
I had a f150 and have the same model trailer it swayed so much . I bought a f250 did the same thing so I traded up to a F350 and it is so bad I have parked it and want to sell it. I even tried a different hitch and it didn’t matter.

msandlin15 is offline   Reply With Quote