2019 Kodiak 201QB inverter? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2022, 12:39 AM   #1

Washington
2019 Kodiak 201QB inverter?

I just purchased a 2019 Kodiak Ultra Lite 201QB from the original owners. The unit is in excellent shape and only took 3 trips (so they claimed anyway).

Short question: Does this unit come with an inverter?

Longer version:

It has the 32" Furrion TV (FEHS32D9A) above the dinette and I was told that it worked without generator or shore power. The RV dealer says these include an inverter so AC could run without shore/genset and that it's part of the converter (WF-8955PEC) but I don't see that in the manual for the PSU. As no surprise, when on battery power, the AC doesn't lite the GFI LED nor is there 120VAC available. I assume I've answered my own question, but just curious if there's something I'm missing.

I'm coming from a Northern Lite TC which I could boondock with no power for days and still have access to the fridge/TV/radio/etc without genset. This is my first TT and I've had it for ~24 hours so just learning.

bkenobi69@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 03:30 PM   #2

California
Not sure about your model but would be surprised if it had an inverter. That would require several batteries to invert to AC power.

As far as your TV goes it likely will run on a portable small inverter that you can plug into your 12v round outlet likely near your powered antenna. When I am boondocking we do that all the time and watch TV at night without the generator and enjoy the quiet. We then run the generator the next day to recharge the batteries.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:46 PM   #3

Massachusetts
I had the same camper, it does not have an inverter.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 01:41 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Good advice posted above.

Short question: Does this unit come with an inverter?

No.

It has the 32" Furrion TV (FEHS32D9A) above the dinette and I was told that it worked without generator or shore power.

It is possible, but not likely that it runs on 12 volts.

The RV dealer says these include an inverter so AC could run without shore/genset and that it's part of the converter (WF-8955PEC) but I don't see that in the manual for the PSU.

No, you miss interpreted the dealer salesman's side stepping presentation. You can run AC and other 120 volt appliances using a generator if one is present. You can not run any of these things using the WFCO.

Some owners install an inverter to run low power things like a TV. A few install a large battery bank and a larger inverter to run a microwave for 5 minutes or so. Very few install a large enough battery bank, large solar array, and a large inverter to run A/C.

As no surprise, when on battery power, the AC doesn't lite the GFI LED nor is there 120VAC available. I assume I've answered my own question, but just curious if there's something I'm missing.

You are not missing anything.

I'm coming from a Northern Lite TC which I could boondock with no power for days and still have access to the fridge/TV/radio/etc without genset..

Fridge, furnace, water heater, lights, and other 12 power or propane devices can be run on a 200 to 400 amp hour battery bank for a few days. Batteries will then need a full 14 to 18 hour charge.

You can put an 80 - 90% charge in 4 hours, but batteries still need a 14 to 18 hour charge after a week and before putting into storage.

A 200 - 400 watt solar array could provide the short daily charge needed to keep up the battery charge.

A/C will require shore power or a 2200 - 3000 watt generator.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:56 AM   #5

Washington
I suspect that I'm not the one that was confused based on the salesmen. I find it more plausible that they didn't know their product. But, the other option is that they didn't know their product front/back and just knew that the ones they order currently include solar which does have an inverter. I specifically asked about without and they swore it was included as part of the converter (which didn't sound right). For reference, the TT came from the same dealership in 2019 and the current 2022 models are all ordered with solar. Though it appears they only include a single battery so I don't understand why.

I wouldn't personally consider solar as a full replacement for shore power/genset. I know some do it, but that's pretty cost prohibitive when there's other solutions. A/C, microwaves, and other heating type devices draw way too much power to expect the sun to replace it in a few hours. For those devices, external power is a must (if needed). It's one thing to have enough panels for a house, but that much surface area seems pretty tough for even a massive 5er.

I like the idea of using a small inverter. I may look into adding 12V near the TV if the one I have doesn't draw much power. My Kill-A-Watt will help determine if it would be viable. The TV has a standard 120VAC plug w/o a wall wart or any kind of adapter so making it work on 12VDC seems like more work than it's worth.

It wasn't a make/break thing so I'm currently happy with the purchase anyway. Thanks for the suggestions.
bkenobi69@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:24 PM   #6

Montana
It is not likely that a TT came with an inverter as part of OEM package. Not that I'm in the business of buying/selling lots of TTs, but I do believe that it is nearly always an aftermarket add-on in a TT. Some motor homes I believe do have one installed as part of the OEM package.

The "it's part of the converter" description makes me think the dealer might have been talking about a combination inverter/charger. Again, not likely that a TT has one of these installed as part of an OEM package. This device is like a converter and inverter in one unit, it provides the 12V DC/battery charging just like a converter when you are plugged into shore power, then provides 120V AC when you are unplugged by drawing power from your battery bank. If you had one of these, they typically kick on automatically when you unplug and seamlessly operate the 120V AC outlets. So you not seeing any 120V AC power when unplugged suggests you do not have one. It is possible that an inverter is only powering certain outlets and you are looking at one that is not hooked to an inverter, but I think more likely that you do not have an inverter.

Your TT should operate just like the truck camper you are familiar with. You have a 12V DC power system and a 120V AC power system. 12V DC system runs lights, radio, water pump, furnace, and provides power for fridge control panel. There are 12V televisions that can run directly off of your units 12V battery, but usually they are plugged into a 120V AC outlet and require 120V AC to operation. The 120V AC power system requires you to plug into shore power (grid/generator/inverter) and powers fridge on electric, water heater on electric, converter, air conditioner, and anything else that plugs into a 120V AC outlet.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:22 PM   #7

Wisconsin
"I suspect that I'm not the one that was confused based on the salesmen."

Sorry that you missed the sarcasm. Salesmen often conspire to deceive. They tend to call it "redirect". Some call it "side stepping".

Of course, some just don't know what they are talking about. They do sound confident. That often makes the sale.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote