2016 Kodiak Cub 175BH Crack/Split in Filon Wall - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #1

Alabama
Angry 2016 Kodiak Cub 175BH Crack/Split in Filon Wall

Hello,

A couple years ago we bought our first RV (2016 Kodiak Cub 175BH). We had an additional line-x like coating on the front to protect the trailer from rock chips on the front. Long story short that line-x had to be re-done after a season. The dealer took care of it. When we went to pick up our trailer, we noticed a mark down the side of our trailer. Upon further inspection there is a crack in the filon from top to bottom, including under the decals. This crack was not there when we dropped off our trailer.

The dealership is citing a manufacturer defect and the manufacturer is citing incidental damage. Given we took the trailer out for 2 summers and the damage is on the side that is our water fill, power plug in and right by a hatch we use all the time, we feel it was damaged caused by the dealership. They had to tow the trailer to another town to get the line-x done. They had our trailer for 2 months all in all.

We are not going on 9 months of fighting back and forth. Given we don't know what happened to the trailer and no one seems to have an answer we asked that a deeper investigation be done so we know there is no additional damage. They just want to patch up the split and send us on our way. They did offer to upsell us to a different trailer.

They have offered no explanation and have called it a cut, a tape line, a crack, a split, etc. It i hard to tell how deep it may or may not be. We are also now worried that it has sat in their yard over the winter in freezing and thawing temperatures.

Looking for advice as to what the damage may be from and what to do next!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191101_155602.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	6264   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191101_155610.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	6265   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191101_155617.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	6266  

Kes1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:54 PM   #2

Wisconsin
My Kodiak is a rear dinette model. There is very little inside at that location in front. If I look in the utility space there, the front wall of the space terminates just above top of the access door. The space toward the front is unfinished. You may be able to look inside and see if there is any damage.

Your warranty experience is the same as mine. Dutchman/Keystone support is skilled at finding plausible deniability.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:22 PM   #3

Florida
WOW! is there a crack on the other side of the RV also or just one side? You are fortunate (somewhat) that the crack runs along side the access door meaning you can remove the door assembly (screws and caulk) to see if there is any other damage either to the underlayment or to the fiberglass itself (if it got damp or wet and the water froze, you should be able to see something when you remove the door).

I would ask your dealership to do it and when they get it out, ask to inspect it your self also. If there is any damage, it is most likely a defect of some sort, in my guess.

Good luck and I feel you pain.

Frank

PS: Welcome to the forum and sorry you had to come here under these circumstances.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:56 AM   #4
RDJ

Washington
Looks to me its where the plywood buts together under the fiberglass, pretty straight line, might be cause from expansion and contraction this last winter but still should not have done that.....

Tags
crack, filon, kodiak