2013 Aerolite construction? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #1

Ontario
2013 Aerolite construction?

The 2013 brochure and web site are not very helpful, and I haven't found a 2013 Aerolite close by that I can look at yet, so here's some questions that maybe you folks can answer for me.

Looking at an older Aerolite, I see it is low to the ground with torsion suspension axles mounted close to a light weight frame (lots of cut-outs). The wheel wells stick up into the cabin space and any slide out would have be lifted up over the wheels. I believe current Lance and Apex trailers are similar.

But now I look at the 2013 Aerolite catalogue, and the trailers look to be higher off the ground, and there's no inside step up to the slides AFAIK. Has Aerolite changed their frame and axle design to the standard shackles and springs suspension? Or maybe still use the torsion axles but with risers?

Also, I was told that Aerolite used block foam insulation in the ceiling with Aluminum framing. Is that correct? I believe, Lance, Apex and North Trail do something similar. But most "light-weight" trailers use block foam in an Al frame only for the walls and floors, and use fibreglass batts and steel trusses in the ceiling.

Finally, does Aerolite use Azdel, Compositek or similar non-wood paneling under its fibreglass outer layer?

Thanks in advance for any help. We're looking at getting a bigger trailer and the Aerolite 225RBSL is on our list.

brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #2

British Columbia
Excellent questions... and welcome...I bet if u sent this as an E-mail to Ducthman they would be able to help u...there is a Dutchman contact list on this forum some where but I am unable to find it?

Hope this helps
Coops

Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #3

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Excellent questions... and welcome...I bet if u sent this as an E-mail to Ducthman they would be able to help u...there is a Dutchman contact list on this forum some where but I am unable to find it?

Hope this helps
Coops
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #4

California
Here's the Duchmen Contacts thread...

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...tacts-379.html
Old 03-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #5

Ontario
Thanks, I've sent off an email to Dutchmen.

But I can answer one of the questions right now as there's a new Aerolite in the campground we just moved to. Nobody is there right now, but I could see that the frame is I beam, not the light weight frame of earlier models, and the suspension is spring and shackles, not the earlier torsion. And the whole trailer sits quite a bit higher off the ground compared to the older models.

This change is probably for the better. The guy I talked to with the older Aerolite was complaining about the light weight frame's springiness and the problems he had on rough roads because of it. And about the problems with ground clearance.

There was also an older Kodiak at the last campground that looked very similar to the older Aerolite and was low to the ground as well. But the new Kodiaks, like the Aerolites, are much higher and appear to have also switched to an I-beam frame and spring and shackle suspension.

So I'm getting the impression that Kodiak and Aerolite are "sister" brands under the Coachmen family, with the primary differences being floorplan, interior design and dealers.

If so, the new Aerolites will probably have the Al-frame and hard foam roof like that in the Kodiak brochure.

We'll see what Coachmen says ...
Old 03-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #6

Ontario
Looks like Joni Busz has moved on ...

Quote:
Your email has been forwarded to the Retail Customer Service Group. I have accepted a different position here at Dutchmen and I am no longer in the Retail Department. The Dutchmen Retail Department can be contacted at 574-537-0700 or at warranty@dutchmen.com
Old 03-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #7

Ontario
Ok, Dutchmen tells me:

- Kodiak and Aerolite have changed to spring and shackle suspensions and are not as light weight as before.

- The roofs are "built the same" (Kodiak and Aerolite) with Al frame and block foam. (But the Aerolite catalog describes the interior ceiling as crowned but the Kodiak doesn't look like it is?).

- The walls use Luan as the fibreglass backing, not Azdel.

Chad Ramsey <cramsey@dutchmen.com> was quick to respond which I appreciate.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #8

Wyoming
Good info, thanks for passing it along!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #9

Ontario
Looks like Dutchmen had some problems with the light-weight BAL/Norco frames back in 2005 or so. Especially the longer ones:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Aerolite, Jayco, Kodiak owners. Bent Norco frames, read this

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Warning: 30' Dutchman Mfg. trailers with BAL Norco frame!

This is probably why they've since switched to the heavier I beams with spring and shackle suspension (probably Lippert frames?).
Old 03-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #10

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Looks like Joni Busz has moved on ...
That's a bummer! She was such a joy to work with! Probably got such good reviews that they promoted her...

2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote