2012 Kodiak 242RESL Floor Joists - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2022, 09:48 PM   #1

Nova Scotia
2012 Kodiak 242RESL Floor Joists

I have a 2012 Dutchmen Kodiak 242RESL and have to replace my floor as it is soft.
I am wondering if anyone has the build plans, is familiar with this model or knows how/where I could obtain such a thing.
I just want to be able to make an informed plan of attack and make sure this is possible. I"ve already the floor "overlaid" with a second layer and this has softened over the last couple years. No good putting good wood over bad.
Would like to find a way to replace the whole kitchen floor once and for all and finally have some piece of mind,, which I haven't since I've purchased this money pit.
I should also mention that I have the enclosed underbelly. I know it would be easier to pull this off to SEE but I'd still like to know beforehand and would like to leave the underbelly intact.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

caper_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:40 PM   #2

Wisconsin
Many Dutchman products have a Styrofoam laminated floor. It is styrofoam with thin plywood glued to both sides. After a time of normal walking on the floor the styrofoam breaks down and separates from the panel making the floor soft.

Some owners have successfully cut out the top panel and the foam. Then replaced using new glue. Often they glue in wood cross supports amongst the styrofoam. Some owners remove cabinets and furniture. Some only do soft patches.

I can't say this is the "once and for all" solution.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:15 PM   #3

Nova Scotia
Good ideas,, I've seen a video of that last night actually. Mine is already covered and thicker than the rest of my floor. So I'd have to go DEEP. It may last forever as well but the SOFTNESS makes me sick every time I step on it. I'd love to see where the joists are and how many span my kitchen to see if I can rip up and replace the entire floor with supported PLYWOOD so it wouldn't give me anymore problems or angst.
Thanks though. That will will always be an alternative if I attempt this.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:30 PM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_6 View Post
Good ideas,, I've seen a video of that last night actually. Mine is already covered and thicker than the rest of my floor. So I'd have to go DEEP. It may last forever as well but the SOFTNESS makes me sick every time I step on it. I'd love to see where the joists are and how many span my kitchen to see if I can rip up and replace the entire floor with supported PLYWOOD so it wouldn't give me anymore problems or angst.
Thanks though. That will will always be an alternative if I attempt this.
Have you checked to see if your floor is the "sandwich" type of solid? Usually you can tell by looking in the bathroom.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 05:01 PM   #5

Nova Scotia
I'm pretty sure it's the sandwich type.
Old 08-24-2022, 09:00 PM   #6

Michigan
Floor

Your unit has a sandwich type floor, there are no joists. It is made with 4 X 8 panels, aluminum frame on the parimiter, 1 1/2 inch styrofoam core with 1/4 plywood on each face. In the factory it is all glued together and vacuume used you pull it together. You can never make it right. It usually gets soft from water intrusion. You can do what was suggested by using 2 X 2's to strengthen the unit but it will always be soft.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:11 PM   #7

Nova Scotia
That sounds about right as it was fixed once already and he said he went all the way out to the walls. But all he could do was dry the old panel and lay 1/4" plywood on top and new flooring. There is now a tiny step down at the door and the bathroom. Lasted 3 years and now feels soft again. lol Can't win.
But Thanks that explains it better and makes sense.
Do you know if you can get at the "LIP" on the outsides edges enough to lay something down,, as in the 2X2's . Not sure if there would be anything across from the kitchen wall though as it's mostly all a slide out.