2005 Kodiak 25ft QB - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2016, 10:49 PM   #1

New York
2005 Kodiak 25ft QB

Hello all,

We just bought a clean 05 25QB. We are interested in lifting the trailer to gain some clearance for the beach. Is it as simple as throwing the axle under the leafs? I tried searching but I did not find any info.

I also noticed the gray/black drain pipe is precariously low so gaining a few in he's would help!

Thanks

Sweetlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:00 AM   #2

California
I have a much smaller Coleman 15BH but only had 6.5" at the cleanouts. I purchased a conversion kit from etrailer to place the axle under the springs. I gained almost 6" doing the flip and couldn't be happier. Unfortunately I have a Lippert axle that had the brake wiring in the axle centered on the spring perches and I had to re-route the brake wiring. After installing the conversion kit I now know all I needed was new spring perches and not the entire kit w/ plates and U-bolts. The Dexter axle kit has smaller diameter U-bolts than the OEM Lippert ones so I used the originals. I've towed it on mountain roads and some pretty janky dirt roads and the added height is not an issue at all. I've done axle flips on two other larger trailers and never regretted any of them. Go for it, just make sure you tack weld those spring perches at home before you move it or use your trailer brakes...my axle rotated until I welded them.

Kuhl951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #3

British Columbia
Welcome to the forum, Sweetlou.

The flip kit from etrailer works well, according to the folks on this site, that have done the flip with one.

It's doable in the driveway if you have something to support the camper and a basic tool set.

While your in there, I would suggest you also do a wet bolt kit, it includes bronze bushings, shackles that are about 2 1/2 times the thickness of the OEM and the greasable bolts.
An '05 is likely to have nothing but a sliver of the plastic bushings left in the spring eyes.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote