'10 21QS Bedroom Slide Topper? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2015, 02:58 PM   #1

Michigan
Question '10 21QS Bedroom Slide Topper?

I've been reading that installing slide toppers will greatly improve the life of the seals of slide outs, by not allowing all that debris to get into the seal. With that in mind I was thinking of putting a slide topper on our 2010 Aerolite 21QS that has a rear bed slide out. The problem I'm running into is all the slide tops I can find only extend to a max 42". My slide extends out 56". Anyone hear of longer slide toppers or perhaps custom made tops?

Thanks and Happy Camping

AeroliteMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:52 PM   #2

Tennessee
That's a highly debated topic. You still have to check the roof before sliding in as debris will get under the topper. You also still have to maintain the seals. I use 303 protectant on mine and they will last forever. I decided it wasn't worth the cost as we only camp 6-8 times a year and it only takes a minute to sweep the slide off.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #3

Missouri
Like Dawniewest said, this is highly debatable. For me I choose to get them. And if I had it to do over again, I would get them again.

What is the added protection worth to you? Its not a cheap modification. That will be your deciding factor.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:55 AM   #4

New Jersey
I originally didn't think they were worth it. After having a slide motor fail because it got wet, the local dealer recommended that toppers would help keep things better protected. Schwinteck repairs are expensive. Motors run around $200 each. We were in FL for 3 weeks, under live Oak trees, during pollen season. Roof and slide toppers were covered will all kinds of junk from the trees.. Tracks were full of junk, top of slides had hardly anything on them, after being open for 3 weeks. I'm sold.