Washington state or Texas? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Camping & RVing > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2015, 02:53 AM   #1

California
Washington state or Texas?

My wife and I are planning a trip this summer and are trying to decide between Washington State and Texas. We will be leaving the Sacramento area in California. We would like to camp at sites with at least water and electricity. The more trees and nature the better as apposed to concrete and asphalt. If we went to Washington we would also like to take a day trip to Canada. If Texas then we get a few more cool state stickers to add to the side of our trailer. Lol. Where would you guys suggest we stay? Names of RV parks or camp grounds... Thanks

Rustybronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:29 AM   #2

Colorado
Heavens...why would you go to Texas? Here in Colorado our saying is "the best view of Texas is in the rear view mirror".

How long a trip are you planning?

Leaving from the Sacramento area, I would head East, go to Utah and see the five famous parks. Then on into Colorado is time allows, then head into Wyoming and up to the Jackson Hole country, if you don't have time for Yellowstone, then take Teton Pass West from Jackson and head on up into Idaho and then into western Montana, and then into Washington State.

Having made several trip to Canada, going up through Sandpoint, Idaho and up to Cranbrook, you get to see some of the beauty of British Columbia.

Just some thoughts. More detail if you like.

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:21 AM   #3

California
Thanks Pirate for the suggestions. We will have 2 weeks. We are leaning more towards Washington since it will be cooler than Texas and we have skipped it for the past few years of travels. We love Colorado and made two trips there last year. We have family in Louisville. Rifle Falls state park was amazing. We had a spot right on the creek. Spent days hanging out reading books in a chair while sitting in the creek. Man it was peaceful. My wife and I did the Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, grand Canyon and Zion trip in 2011. Oregon was the following year. Just trying to see as many different states as we can each year.
Rustybronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Texas is about the last place I would want to go in the summer time. However if you go don't miss Palo Duro Canyon. I liked the area around Amarillo too.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #5

Texas
We have a sayin' in Texas... "It's like a whole other country"

For an outdoorsmen Texas has the most diverse geography & ecology of any state in the nation... where else can you find a bayou, beach and blackland prairie, all within an hour drive through the piney woods???

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:25 PM   #6

Washington
Not sure what your hobbies are, but for nature and trees you can't beat the Olympic Peninsula . Then you could wrap around Puget Sound through Seattle into Bellingham - get your Canada fix and then across the North Cascades Highway into eastern Washington. While there I would suggest Winthrop and Leavenworth. Sorry....l can't suggest any parks because we usually do these things on day trips! Have fun whatever you decide.

Happiness is an old pickup truck, a good dog and an understanding woman....
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #7

Oklahoma
I am headed fifty miles east of Portland Or. for work in May. Going to stay at the Wind Mountain RV Park on the Washington side right on the Columbia River. Mountains everywhere. Check out the area on Google Earth.
Grdrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:34 AM   #8

Washington
I grew up in southern Oregon and now live in western Washington I have vast knowledge of both coasts. be glad to help out in any way I can. Weekend reservations fill up quick act soon if you decide to come this way.
WConke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:09 AM   #9

Washington
How about Conconully. That is eastern Washington about 40 miles from the boarder. I'm from Okanogan and spend most of the year camping up their, riding, hunting and fishing. Big mountains and the best people. Lots of roads to dive and check out the wilderness if you like. It is a very, very small town dedicated to recreation. If you look it up and are interested let me know and I will try and help you out.

catdog is offline   Reply With Quote