Trek to Florida winter of 2014 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Camping & RVing > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #1

Trek to Florida winter of 2014

Hey Folks,
We are currently planning our 2014 winter... why you ask... well because we plan on spending 3 months there, not very common for 30 year olds but we can do it if we time our parental leave right! In Ontario, we get 1 year of parental for each child, this can be shared between both parents, therefore we will overlap for a few months and hit up Florida. Camping, Golf, Disney, Cheap beer... nothing could be better!

My question is the following. We plan on leaving for Florida right after the holidays, so basically snowstorm season for Canada and the northern states. My plan would be to take a week off in mid-october and go camp in Virginia, the leave the trailer in a storage area there and pick it up on the way to Florida in January. I would empty out all water from the lines etc.

Has anyone ever done this any storage facilities to recommend or any comments, tips, advice, etc?

I am just dreading having to pull my Denali 311 in a snowstorm, so this seems like a good idea, plus only towing the trailer for half the trip up to Florida might be key. We will be travelling with a approx 3 and a half year old and a 6-7 month old. We drove to florida last time with just a 6 month old and it was a great time!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sebber83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #2

California
Sorry, I can't help, but that parental leave sounds GREAT! What a wonderful opportunity to be able to spend time with your children!

Old 11-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsteck View Post
Sorry, I can't help, but that parental leave sounds GREAT! What a wonderful opportunity to be able to spend time with your children!
It is! For our first daughter, the wife and I overlapped for 2 months, spent 6 weeks in florida like retired people and spent countless hours of quality time with our little one. All in all my wife stayed at home for 7 months and I got 5 months. We are aiming for the same thing again but with more overlap and more time in Florida. We will probably set up at one of the Disney campgrounds, that should keep our toddler busy!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:38 AM   #4

Montana
I've been to Florida many times, but never pulling a trailer in the winter. I've always used a camper on a pickup during nice weather.

I wouldn't have the slightest clue to help on any part of your trip, but I have discussed pulling a trailer on snow and ice. Is there any way you can make the trip when there isn't snow and ice, and leave your trailer some place in storage? There are trailer storage places all over.

It gives me goosebumps just thinking of pulling a rig during bad weather. But I'm a chicken, I guess.
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
I've been to Florida many times, but never pulling a trailer in the winter. I've always used a camper on a pickup during nice weather.

I wouldn't have the slightest clue to help on any part of your trip, but I have discussed pulling a trailer on snow and ice. Is there any way you can make the trip when there isn't snow and ice, and leave your trailer some place in storage? There are trailer storage places all over.

It gives me goosebumps just thinking of pulling a rig during bad weather. But I'm a chicken, I guess.
That is what i am tryign to figure out! I would ideally like to leave my trailer in either Virginia or North Carolina in the fall and pick it up on the way to Florida in January. I am just looking for people who possibly have done the same thing or even people residing in that area who could help by pointing out trustworthy storage facilities!
Old 11-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #6

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebber83 View Post
That is what i am tryign to figure out! I would ideally like to leave my trailer in either Virginia or North Carolina in the fall and pick it up on the way to Florida in January. I am just looking for people who possibly have done the same thing or even people residing in that area who could help by pointing out trustworthy storage facilities!
I'd assume that all those places renting storage spaces are bonded, and can't imagine any of them staying in business by allowing break-ins, etc. As long as you lock things up, I'd think you'd be safe. Putting a padlock on your hitch might give you some peace of mind.

Storing your trailer in VA or NC in the Fall and picking it up in the early Spring would seem like a reasonable choice to me. Not only hauling it over snow and ice seems risky, but staying in it overnight up north would seem challenging, too.

I hope some experienced travelers will join in this thread and tell us about whether the water system should remain winterized, or is it ok to drive in subfreezing weather with water in the pipes? I know you can't do that on my trailer.

Vern is offline   Reply With Quote