Thinking of towing to Colorado - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Camping & RVing > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #1

Thinking of towing to Colorado

We are thinking of towing our Aerolite to Colorado this summer, I am a little apprehensive after our recent trip to California.Towing with an Expedition, the mountains are tuff to climb. Any suggestions on what to see and were to stop? We will leave Ontario via Detroit, First stop will be in South Bend, we loved the KOA there, beyond that I am not shure, but I want to avoid the Mountains. I was thinking of making the eastern side of Co. our base camp. any suggestions? Thanks!!

winglessprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #2

British Columbia
I hear the rush is on to Colorado since the state legalized marihuana for recreational use...campsite may be at a premium in the state. Remember the famous John Denver song " Colorado High" I think that may be the new state anthem.
Haven' t been to Colorado but that is for sure on my hit list

Coops

Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #3

Looking at Four Seasons Resort in Salida, Co. How is the tow on Hwy 50 from the east to west to Salida, is there much of an uphill grade? Has anyone stayed at Four Seasons?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #4

Colorado
Visiting Colorado and avoiding mountains is going to be a challenge. That's why most folks come here. Rocky Mountain National Park and State campgrounds like Mueller State Park will get you in the mountains, but you won't have to go over any real high mountain passes to get there. They will also be very crowded in the summer.

I'd still advise heading for SW Colorado for the best Colorado experience. You will find dozens of campground to choose from and they won't be as crowded.

The Eastern side of Colorado isn't our favorite part of the state. We lived on the Front Range for many years and found ourselves heading over the mountains to do our camping.

Be Safe!!!!!
Cimriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #5

Thanks for the info, whats the grade like on I80 east to west? Where and what do you like the Southwest?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #6

Colorado
We like Ridgway State Park. It is south of Montrose on Hwy 550. It has some full hookup site and some electric only sites. Water is available in the campground and there is a dump station. Ridgway is a good place to tour the area from. Lot's of 4 wheel drive trails and pretty mountain town. Scenery is stunning.

If you are looking for more primative camping I can give you some ideas on that also.

Be Safe!!!!!
Cimriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimriver View Post
We like Ridgway State Park. It is south of Montrose on Hwy 550. It has some full hookup site and some electric only sites. Water is available in the campground and there is a dump station. Ridgway is a good place to tour the area from. Lot's of 4 wheel drive trails and pretty mountain town. Scenery is stunning.

If you are looking for more primative camping I can give you some ideas on that also.
Thanks I will take a look at that, we are looking for upscale full service with a view and to stay away from extreme grades, I find the gas powered will not do the climbing the diesels will.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #8

Indiana
Lightbulb Chassa Oaks RV Resort Homosassa, FL

We're in a nice little place called Chassa Oaks RV Resort in Homosassa FL. It's quaint maybe 40 motor homes and/or 5ers combined.
Alot of the people here have purchased there sites and possibly 15 are like me and renting a site. The sites are hot top (asphalt) to the concrete pad and each site has an electric meter. You pay for electricity if you rent for more than a month. It has a club house and a pool. Exercise room and kitchen.
Most people here are full time rver's. Some are snow birds.
Even though it's not gated everybody looks out and knows if someone doesn't belong (meaning a non-renter or non-owner).
We appreciate the atmosphere and relationships with different people here.
We're from Maine and there's a big difference between the sunshine here and the shoveling of 3' feet of snow there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	infinity pictures 022.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	258  

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #9

California
Thinking of buying a 3800 Voltage it 41 ' long will I have problems finding campgrounds because of the length
buckeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeroo View Post
Thinking of buying a 3800 Voltage it 41 ' long will I have problems finding campgrounds because of the length
KOA campgrounds have been able to accomodate my 3800 along my travels. Some state park campgrounds can't so you'll have to research them if you are looking to going to a particular place.

You will definitely only want pull thru spaces for your 3800 or lots of patience and 40 acres for manuvering.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
KOA campgrounds have been able to accomodate my 3800 along my travels. Some state park campgrounds can't so you'll have to research them if you are looking to going to a particular place.

You will definitely only want pull thru spaces for your 3800 or lots of patience and 40 acres for manuvering.
Yep.

Our 30' seems like it takea twice as long to back into a spot than our 25'.

Who was it that said, "Bigger is not always better".

Good luck with 41'.

Why do I always talk myself into these situations?
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #12

Quebec
You should not have problems if you check campgrounds before arriving .... which you usually have to do anyway to make a reservation. Mine is lightly over 40' also and we often take back-ins. Happy camping!
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeroo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post

I have yet to have a problem with my 41' 5er. The one thing I have learned (from our very first outing) is to the walk the space first. Pull thru spaces are generally easier but back ins aren't bad depending on how they are laid out.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #14

Quebec
Oh yeah, and one other thing ....... if you're going to take a back-in site, try to pick one where you will approach with the site on the driver's side (left). It is WAY easier to back in when you can see the side of the trailer from the driver's side.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #15

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
Pull thru spaces are generally easier but back ins aren't bad depending on how they are laid out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmiles View Post
It is WAY easier to back in when you can see the side of the trailer from the driver's side.
That's what I meant about how they are laid out. Even applies to where we store our RV, I insisted on a space that angles in. So easy then.

Oh, another thing we do is that we have a pair of walkie-talkies. The co-pilot stands to the rear and keeps an eye on and reports on things that can't be seen in the mirrors.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:12 AM   #16

Colorado
We live in SW Colorado (Ridgway) and have a Kodiak 240BHSL (4800lbs dry) which we tow with our Land Rover LR3 (tow rate 7700lbs) We have mtns in pretty much every direction! If I'm going over some big climbs (Red mtn Pass, Vail Pass) I'll tow it dry (no fresh water) and fill it once close. When heading up the pass shut down the AC and open the windows.I've had the engine heat up only once and it was because of the AC. The grades are not really that steep (6-8 percent average), it's the distance and the altitude that all combine to make the engine work a lot harder. Just watch your RPM's and don't worry too much about speed. I usually keep it at 4500RPM which puts me around 40MPH.
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:45 AM   #17

California
We towed from California to Colorado last year. We definitely hit some mountain climbs in the Rockies. Fortunately we have a Dodge diesel. If you do go to Colorado I would recommend staying at Rifle Falls state park. Our RV site was right on the creek and very beautiful. You must reserve early to get a spot. Good luck!
Old 03-23-2015, 03:19 AM   #18

Colorado
OK, as a Native Coloradoan...

If you take I-70 (not 80) West of Denver you're going to start climbing fairly quickly to the Eisenhower tunnel. But not really that tough. Stay in the right lane and you won't have problems. Just take your time. Keep going West and you'll go up and over Vail Pass. Another good climb, but again not that bad. I-70 is four or six lanes all the way across the state.

If you take Hwy 50 West of Pueblo, you'll go 38 miles on fairly prairie like country to Canon City. Then 59 miles up the Arkansas river canyon to Salida. West of Salida it starts to climb fairly quickly up and over Monarch Pass and down into Gunnison. On West up and over Cerro Summit and down into Montrose. Then you're just about on Prairie country again. A lot of Hwy 50 is four lane, but there are also lots of sections of two lane. But lots of passing zones. When you get to Montrose, turn left and head to Ouray, then up over Red Mountain Pass and down into Silverton. A fairly steep climbing pass, but spectacular! From there stay on Hwy 550 and head on down into Durango. You do go up over Molas Pass, but its not that steep.

Go up to Ft. Collins and take Hwy 14 West and you'll go up over Cameron Pass, down into Walden, then up over Rabbit Ears Pass and down into Steamboat Springs. Hwy 14 is a two lane highway most of the way, and pretty twisty up the Poudre River Canyon and over Cameron Pass. Rabbit Ears is four lane most of the way, if not all the way. Fairly rapid climbs at points.

You can also take I-25 South of Pueblo 45 miles to Walsenburg. Then head West on Hwy 160 up and over La Veta Pass which is not that steep, then across the San Luis Valley and up over Wolf Creek Pass, which is probably the steepest of all, but one of the most scenic. Then down into Pagosa Springs and on into Durango.

As for what to see in Colorado...the examples are endless. Best to go to the web, or a tour book. If you have specific questions, I'm sure there will be lots of us willing to help with details.

Setting your base camp on the Eastern side of Colorado...much of it is just empty prairie. Nothing really to see, some history but not a lot. I'd avoid it like the plague!!!

Just thoughts!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:27 PM   #19

We finally did our trip this year. Hwy 50 west to Salida was fairly flat and runs next to the river. I80 west to Frisco was quite a haul, 40 mph for 15-20 mins at a time.Four Seasons in Salida was excellent mainly because we had a river front site. KOA denver west had some great views, but the tow up the parkway was a bit stressfull. The gas F150 did an admirable job, but I wish I had adjusted the trailer brakes just before leaving.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:10 PM   #20

Colorado
Lessee...that would be I-70 to Frisco. From Denver I suspect? Yes, that is a quite a haul!

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, colorado, mountains