Sycamore Lodge Resort, Jackson Springs NC - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Camping & RVing > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2014, 12:21 AM   #1

South Carolina
Question Sycamore Lodge Resort, Jackson Springs NC

Ever since we bought our camper last year, we have been called several times about this resort. The pitch is come up and see us, and get $1000 worth of "free" camping. Lately, they've been adding in a $50 Visa to offset the cost of gas to get there. For us, in central SC, it's about a 2 hr drive. Checking into the camp website, it looks like a nice enough campground, with some activities each weekend, and a golf course. In the middle of Nowhere, NC. No attractions, sights, mountains, oceans, etc. All we had to agree to do was take their two hour "tour." I don't know about you folks, but I've never seen a campground I couldn't figure out in 20 minutes or less.
We made, and then later cancelled, our "reservation" when I found that several people were on line selling their $6000 "membership" for as little as $2000. They also specified the cost of their annual maintenance fees, of about $365/yr. Ah yes, membership!
So tell me friends, did I do right in passing this up? Are any of you members? Comments?

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:13 AM   #2

New York
When in doubt - don't!

DH and I have gone on a few of those come get free stuff and see our facility.....we listen and then say - sorry we are not interested, we have walked away with some nice "stuff" for sitting on a cold winter day looking at pictures of a campground!!!! BUT it take a lot of will power and stubbornness to say NO!!!!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:44 AM   #3

North Carolina
Well We will be there Sunday afternoon I have been to a few time share things and the word NO is in my vocabulary . Glad to have the advance warning Marty. Just googled dutchmen and found Ya'll
PistolPete45&Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:19 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Funny story about that place...

Way back in 2000 my bride bought a huge Coleman Niagara popup, it came with the "free" camping at Jackson Springs, so we bit and and went down for the weekend with my kids. Had a great time and tried out the facility. They never came and got us for the sales pitch. they called a few times to try and get us to go back, but we never did. Not our style. IIRC some of my wife's cousins got suckered in a few years back.

I normally avoid time shares and places of a similar ilk. Just don't like the high pressure sales tactics, especially when they try to play you off against your other half.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:50 AM   #5

South Carolina
PistolPete45&Mary, we'll all be interested to hear how your weekend went when you get back. Aaron, I've got a feeling (?) this may have been a "regular" mom/pop campground when you went in 2000. Feeling an economic squeeze, I think somebody sold them on the idea of being a membership resort. Judging by the site, it's nice enough, but for that money I'd want a spa, a steam room, nice gym, on-site restaurant and bar! For that I'd drive two hours and spend some money!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
PistolPete45&Mary, we'll all be interested to hear how your weekend went when you get back. Aaron, I've got a feeling (?) this may have been a "regular" mom/pop campground when you went in 2000. Feeling an economic squeeze, I think somebody sold them on the idea of being a membership resort. Judging by the site, it's nice enough, but for that money I'd want a spa, a steam room, nice gym, on-site restaurant and bar! For that I'd drive two hours and spend some money!
It has been part of the Travel Resorts America system since the late 1980's IIRC it was one of the original ones when it was started up.

The lodge has been there since the early 1900's.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #7

North Carolina
We will see tomorrow I want this place to be affordable and all We live less then 40 miles away . Plan on finding 4 or 5 places close to home for short stays all year then pick one or two we like best .
Old 11-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #8

North Carolina
Well bottom line was a lot more advantages then we would have ever thought... But the premium plan was to expencive for us SO We got a lesser plan for lesser Dinaro the Dutchess is happy I liked the place We are in . A lot more to that Company then a few RV parks .