Pigeon forge Tennessee - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Camping & RVing > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2021, 02:47 PM   #1

Pennsylvania
Pigeon forge Tennessee

Heading to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge with the family for a week and wondered if anyone had some must visit spots. 3 kids ages 14,9, and oops...lol 6

jhlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:41 PM   #2

Wyoming
You’ll find plenty of family activities in that area. As far as “must see” or “must do”… well, that all depends on what interests you. Plenty of scenery all around, and ‘tourist trap’ attractions in town.

You didn’t mention when you were going, but I’ll assume summer since the kids are coming along. So, 2 things I will mention:

1) Bring PATIENCE!

I’m serious… the area is more congested than Disney World. Roads are mostly 2-lane (some 4), and squeezed between mountain ranges. Traffic quite often comes to a stand-still for half-hour periods at a time. Don’t try to fill your schedule with 5 or 6 things in a single day, because you’ll probably end up disappointed.

2) It’s gonna be HOT!

Hot AND humid... and I can’t stress the HUMID enough. So try to plan your outdoor activities for before lunch, and after say 3 or 4 in the evening. Plan to either be having lunch back at your rig, or time at the pool during the height of the day. Of course, remember… thousands of other experienced travelers to the area will be doing the same.

To be quite honest, it’s an area that I refuse to visit these days… but when I was a kid growing up back east, I loved it, and I’m sure yours will too.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:46 AM   #3

Florida
Dollywood is always a fun place for kids to visit and the shows there are typical but entertaining. It’s a pretty amazing ride to take to the Cherokee museum from gatlinburg on 441 through the park (watch for bears). Breakfast at Flapjack’s is always entertaining.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:06 PM   #4

Oklahoma
The place to see is the range of mountains from the porch of a rented cabin. No traffic, no noise and no stress.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:11 PM   #5

Florida
Lol! We went there for New Year’s eve. Was the first time I had ever been there. Was quite the experience. You would not have thought there would have been that many people. The main road through Gatlinburg is exciting to drive when it’s busy. Two lanes and a million people. Looked like Main Street at Disney world but with car’s and trucks.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:26 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Thanks guys for the info. We were here about 10 years ago for just a few days and did a few things but now with kids. We just arrived from pa. Only took about 10 hours. Hot as ba##$ but all setup and chilling with some two hearted ale. We will get at it tomorrow and see what happens. Dollywood is on the list for at least 2 days anyway. Def some hiking in the park.
jhlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:38 PM   #7

Wyoming
If your kids like Bush Beans... or maybe just the dog, Duke... you can head down the road and check out the factory. They have a decent little tour you can do where you can learn more about beans than you ever really cared to know.

https://www.bushbeans.com/en_US/about-us/visitor-center
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 06-16-2021, 09:32 PM   #8

South Carolina
The knife shop in Sieverville is amazing. From Swiss Army to Kitchen cutlery you'll find everything!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:36 PM   #9

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
The knife shop in Sieverville is amazing. From Swiss Army to Kitchen cutlery you'll find everything!
I remember that place… before the internet came along, it was one of the only places my dad could find the hawk-bill pocket knifes he liked to carry.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE