Need suggestions for NE Oklahoma - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Camping & RVing > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #1

Texas
Need suggestions for NE Oklahoma

Hi all - any good recommendations for parks in NE Oklahoma? By late summer, we will need to get out of the Texas heat for awhile - not sure it will be THAT much cooler there but even 10 degrees cooler is appreciated. Thinking maybe around the Grand Lake area or SW Missouri or NW Arkansas. We really don't want to be in all the crowd in Branson - would prefer to be near a lake or a little scenery. Thanks

TexasMarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Search results | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site

Lots of water, lots of places to park.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:46 PM   #3

Wyoming
Consulting my travel log, I spent a night at the Sallisaw/Fort SmithWest KOA in northeast Ok one night... decent place, clean, but nothing in the notes that stand out about the area. It is near the Kerr reservoir, so that might be worth exploring.

In northwest Arkansas, I spent 3 weeks at the Eureka Springs KOA last year. Beautiful area, close to Branson for a visit (50 miles?), but far enough away to not be in that mess. And just to the east of the KOA lies Beaver Lake, which is beautiful in itself... but also has lots of Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds all around it. The only issue there is that they dont do reservations. It's first come, first serve... but might be worth exploring also. Check out the COE website for details.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:06 AM   #4

Texas
thank you ATC guy

is that KOA park in Eureka Springs hard to get to?? Lots of hills and curves and such? or pretty easy drive? Just wondering - we are senior citizens and have to consider these things - LOL
TexasMarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #5

Oklahoma
If you don't mind east instead of north east, Lake Tenkiller state park or snake creek park. Both on the SE side of BEAUTIFUL lake Tenkiller. The state park is older, and the bathrooms leave much to be desired if you use public. Snake Creek is a few miles away from there, but not a stater park, and not a lot of full hook-ups. There are only a few lakes in OK that are clear, not red mud. Tenkiller is one of them.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:15 PM   #6

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMarci View Post
is that KOA park in Eureka Springs hard to get to?? Lots of hills and curves and such? or pretty easy drive? Just wondering - we are senior citizens and have to consider these things - LOL
Well, as you can see from a map... the roads getting there are pretty curvy. It's all 2-lane outside of the towns, and some of the curves are a bit tight. But I had no real issues.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:19 AM   #7

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMarci View Post

Can't speak for the KOA but getting to Eureka Springs there is a route with less turns & one that has a lot of turns.

As to Oklahoma & NW Arkansas. If you are thinking about visiting NE Oklahoma ( Tulsa to Grand Lake area) around Memorial Day Weekend get a spot in a park might be hard since there is Rockoklahoma going. As for parks there a couple of nice ones that are run by the Chickasaw Nation just over the border. Also there is a nice one in Ft Gibson & Salina area for camping. I don't know if there is a nice park around lake Eufafua but it is one of the nicest gems in Oklahoma.

I can't really recommend parks on the NWA area but I do have some sussgations for places to visit. If you like Wine there is the Post Family Winery in Atlus, Ar. There is also the Tonitown that has great live music. If you are a beer drinker there are around 15 microbrews in the Fayetteville area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgmoviegirl is offline   Reply With Quote