Kokanee Glacier Park - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Camping & RVing > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #1

Kokanee Glacier Park

Hey folks, we are looking at staying at Kokanee Glacier Park (just North of Nelson, BC) for a few days this summer. Anyone gone there? It looks really nice and am hoping the campsites are decent and the water is warm enough to swim in (we have kids). Thanks, JC

Old 04-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #2

British Columbia
Re: Kokanee Glacier Park

JC.....are you thinking of Kokanee Creek Provincial Park. Kokanee Glacier Park is a hike in and back packing park. We have stayed at Sandapit and at Redfish campgrounds in Kokanee Crk. Depending on what month u go we found the water warm in July and August-nice beach at Sandapit for the kids . Lots of dirt and no currents nor drops offs.No hookups at all but they do have Sani -dump. Good fishing for the big Kokanee trout...need a boat.
Would suggest u make reservations for the busy season. Let me know if u need further I for.
Take care.
Coop

Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #3

Thanks Cooper, that is exactly the info I was looking for. And yeah, I was thinking Kokanee Creek. We are planning to be there early August so hoping the water isn't too cold for the kids. Also looking forward to checking out Ainsworth hot springs.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #4

British Columbia

JC your more than welcome . We lived in Nelson for a couple of years and during one summer I commuted to work to Nelson from the Sandspit campground. Ainsworth is short drive from the campsite and were there last year...great spot for kids and adults alike. Which way are you folks doing to Kokanees Creek ....Number 1 or number 3 Highway?
Canada
Old 04-30-2012, 01:57 AM   #5

The plan is to go to Revelstoke for 2 nights then onto Osoyoos for 4 nights then Kokanee Creek (via #3) for 3 nights then onto Waterton for 4 nights. Almost 2 weeks round trip. Can't wait!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #6

British Columbia

You have plannned beautiful trip. Osoyoos is the hot spot for temp in the nation in August.
You will have 2 very good hills to climb out of Osoyoos. Heading east right at Osoyoos you have the Anarchist Summit. 1992 m or 4892 ft switch backs,but a good highway.
Next heading east about 20 min E of Grand Forks at Christina Lake is the Blueberry Paulson...1535 m or 5036 ft. One spot at the Paulson Bridge I have a tough time maintaining my speed ..as you have to slow down for a left hand corner and there is a fairly good grade immediately exiting the corner.
But again a very good highway. The pavement may be rough in spots due to the pretty severe winter taking its toll. Keep going right to Castlegar and on to Nelson.
Enjoy
Coops
Canada
Old 05-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #7

Hey Cooper, what are the best sites at Kokanee Creek (there is not much left to pick from except for one single site I have to call in to reserve (assuming when I call in the AM it won't be available) and one site that shares a driveway. Do you think the shared driveway is an issue or are those sites relatively private?
Old 05-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #8

British Columbia

I prefer the single site unless I am camping with friends the the double is fine. The double site is one big site that fits 2 units ..and are usually pretty close together ...especially if the units are large.
We are camping at Sandspit in a week..if u know the number of the site I will take some pics and post them.
Take care
Coops
Canada
Old 05-05-2012, 03:00 AM   #9

Awesome, thanks! I held off booking because I wasn't sure (glad I did) and then the two shared sites got snatched up anyway. So I went ahead and booked the last Champion Lakes site instead but we are now thinking of staying a few extra days in Osoyoos at the Waterslides RV park and catching Kokanee Creek on the monday after the long weekend so might cancel Champion Lakes also. We should pretty much have the pick of sites at Kokanee on the monday after the long weekend. Then we'll hit Waterton and Glacier Ntl Pk on our way back to Calgary. Should be an awesome round trip. The extra days in Osoyoos should pay off with the inlaws because then the wife and I can take in a winery tour or two.

How is the Saint Mary's road to Cranbrook on the other side of the ferry? Should we stick to highway #3?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #10

British Columbia

Sounds like you have planned a great trip....I haven't heard highway 3a called Saint Mary' s road ..but that is a nice trip which includes a 35 min. Free ferry ride from Balfour on the west to Kootenay Bay on the east. ( just a short drive to Balfour from Kokanee Creek Park). I understand it is the longest free ferry ride in the world. Then 70 k to Creston and on to Cranbrook. If you go #3 highway you go up a 5823 ft ( 1775 m) pass. We call it the Salmo Creston cutoff. It is the highest all season pass in Canada... And it is steep and unforgiving. There are 8% grades for 20 k. Then all the way down to Creston.
My choice is to take the Ferry ride...easier on everybody and the ferry ride is kind of neat and it is FREE. If interested u can stop and visit the glass house..it is a house built out of embalming bottles. It about 1/2 way between Kootenay Bay and Creston.
You need to tell me about Waterton and Glacier parks ...haven' t been there yet.

Just my 2 cents worth
Enjoy
Canada
Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #11

British Columbia

We thought the Glass House was pretty cool, given that this was a retirement project. Here is the link to the information: http://www.kootenayrockies.com/attracti ... house.html
We also second the vote on the ferry ride, the first time was an unexpected surprise and we've used it every opportunity we get.

Cheers
Daryl B.
grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:04 AM   #12

Thanks for all of the info!!

If you haven't done Waterton and Glacier Park, you must. Both are amazing! THe lake at Waterton is spectacularly beautiful, but not really swimmable as it's too cold. They do have a boat tour. The campsite itself is right in the town but there is another up in the mountains. Townsite is neat - very small but lots of little coffee/shops, restaurants, etc. There are bears everywhere outside of the townsite itself. It gets very windy there as well in the evenings.

Glacier Park is a short drive from Waterton (maybe an hour). The road is crazy windy and you drive along the edge of 3000' drops. You don't want to bring the camper with you for that drive. Logan Pass has a nice boardwalk and you can walk up and touch snow in late August.

Like I said, a must see. Do both on the same trip.

Cheers, JC
Old 05-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #13

British Columbia

Hello all....we are sitting in the shade beside the Kootenay River at the Kootenay River Kampgrounds (full hookups) in Castlegar BC. It Is 30 degrees c. The AC on the unit works fine. Just come from Kokanee Crk Park were we spent 3 nights. The temp at night went down to zero. Our little champion gen set works great as well as the furnace ...a little noisey. One propane tank ran dry..at 3:am no heat nor fridge for a short while until I changed over to the other tanks. No.....we don't have auto switchover propane valves. Airbags on the truck worked great everything is going
wonderful. Will post pics when we get home
Canada
Old 05-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #14

Maryland

Glad your camping is going well, looking fwrd to seeing those pics.
Wakeisland53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #15

Sounds good Cooper. You enjoy that nice weather & make the most of it because it's all coming to Calgary soon..... Enjoy the rest of your trip man.

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:56 AM   #16

Thanks for the update. Can't wait until I am there in August!!

We are off to Coeur D'Alene Idaho for the May long weekend. Hoping the weather holds out!

JC
Old 05-14-2012, 05:02 AM   #17

British Columbia

Colin....hope u folks don't have any more winter.

Coops
Canada
Old 05-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #18

British Columbia

Will send some pics of Kokanee Park later..here are some pics of the trip

It seems we always have a little excitement when we take the Galena Bay ferry just outside of Nakusp. The last year we had to back off the boat as the truck in front of us broke down. The main ferry was off for servicing and they had this little puddle jumper on instead. The usual ferry takes almost 40 vehicles, this one had 4 cars, one full logging truck, one empty huge cement hauler, an unloaded logging truck with the trailer piggybacked on itself and us. Needless to say the wait could have been 3 -6 hours, luckily we only waited 1.5 hrs.
We had a good week away visiting Nelson. We decided to stay a night at Halcion hot springs and enjoy some soaks in the pool.

[attachment=1:1ez5e3bx]Ferry 3 May 2012.JPG[/attachment:1ez5e3bx][attachment=2:1ez5e3bx]Ferry 2 May 2012.JPG[/attachment:1ez5e3bx]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferry 2 May 2012.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	19   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferry 3 May 2012.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	20   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferry may 2012.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	21  
Canada
Old 05-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #19

[quote="Cooper"]Colin....hope u folks don't have any more winter.

Thanks Cooper. They have forcast Flurries & colder weather for this long weekend. " perfect ".

In the pics it looks like it was a little tight parking on the Ferry...

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #20

British Columbia

Colin...yes was very tight. Had to take off both my trailer mirrors and the wife couldn't get out on the passenger side.
We had great weather

Canada