Camper World??? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Camping & RVing > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2013, 03:38 AM   #1

Utah
Camper World???

I need some advice on Camper World . . . When I bought my trailer, we received a certificate for a free membership to Camper World. Is joining like buying a time share? I heard we had to go see a presentation on our first trip. They look too good to be true, so I looked at some opinions on line, and they have some bad reviews about additional annual fees, and continuous rate increases.

Their campsites look and sound great, and they advertise free camping coast to coast with their partners.

Anybody have opinions or experience with them?

ebaeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:39 AM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaeder View Post
I need some advice on Camper World . . . When I bought my trailer, we received a certificate for a free membership to Camper World. Is joining like buying a time share? I heard we had to go see a presentation on our first trip. They look too good to be true, so I looked at some opinions on line, and they have some bad reviews about additional annual fees, and continuous rate increases.

Their campsites look and sound great, and they advertise free camping coast to coast with their partners.

Anybody have opinions or experience with them?
Like my daddy said way back when I was knee high, "if it sounds to good to be true".

Don't know about Camper World in particular, but I have several friends and relatives that have bought memberships in various schemes and ended up with the short end of the stick.

It always seemed like the times that they wanted to use thier membership, the times they wanted were fully booked.

We have always found that the best trips happen when we get up in the moring and ask which way do we go today, and we have come across places that were deserving of a week or more. Then we have come across places that one night was too much.

Maybe it's just the wanderlust that's in our genetic make up.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #3

Oklahoma
I went ahead and had them send me the info packet. Parts of the packet included the presentation and heavy emphasis on couples, not singles.

They call me fron time to time, last week was one of them. The salesman assured me the presentation won't go over 90 minutes, as if he had control over the attendees asking questions making the thing last longer.
I told him I was solo and he said that was sort of an overlooked thing, the brochure says that but they don't really mean it.

The pictures look beautiful but so do post cards and food on TV.

Dunno, I'll take my chances and let the 'free' stuff pass.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #4

Quebec
The key to these deals is making sure you walk away after the presentation without signing up for anything. Take some time to think about it after and then make your decision. Have fun!
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:23 AM   #5

Colorado
For what it's worth, they have an A+ rating with the BBB. They certainly seem pricey though.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #6

Florida
Does anyone know about 'Thousand Trails''?

With our recent TT purchase, the dealer threw in a year's free membership with an outfit called 'Thousand Trails'. Looking on-line, we found criticisms similar to those expressed about Camping World. Still somewhat interested....(a whole year free including a location at one of the Keys of Florida! ), we followed up with a request for more information only to find an overeager, but pleasant salesperson very persistent in calling, eager for us to respond to his e-mails thereby initiating the membership. At the last minute, we decided to visit the closest Thousand Trails location to us and were underwhelmed with this park...but who knows? Afterall, we're new to RVing... ... what do we know?

Anyone familiar with 'Thousand Trails and care to share?
Thank ya!
GWBushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:45 AM   #7

Texas
State Parks are Awesome

Our preferred campsite is a state park---any State Park!! You usually find clean well maintained facilities for a reasonable price. You are not packed in like a trailer park and most are very reasonable. Why look in to one place or group--you bought the trailer to be able to get out and travel.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #8

Florida
Thanks, Texmac! State parks in this area are a good value, but 'off the chain' with protecting the environment, thereby restricting use of lots of spaces, limiting sewage disposal; one can feel like a sardine especially if on or close to the beach. But, all in all, those state parks we've visited have been nice, clean and affordable. And they each offer something different. We like that!

We moved to Florida from Texas....far west Texas. Still have family in central TX and Arlington area. What RV locations have impressed you out Texas way?
GWBushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBushhog View Post
With our recent TT purchase, the dealer threw in a year's free membership with an outfit called 'Thousand Trails'. Looking on-line, we found criticisms similar to those expressed about Camping World. Still somewhat interested....(a whole year free including a location at one of the Keys of Florida! ), we followed up with a request for more information only to find an overeager, but pleasant salesperson very persistent in calling, eager for us to respond to his e-mails thereby initiating the membership. At the last minute, we decided to visit the closest Thousand Trails location to us and were underwhelmed with this park...but who knows? Afterall, we're new to RVing... ... what do we know?

Anyone familiar with 'Thousand Trails and care to share?
Thank ya!
What the dealer 'threw in' was your name. Free? Watch your back and pay close attention. The sales folks have a good script to use to relieve you of some more money..
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:19 AM   #10

Texas
GW--we have stayed at a number of them. Fort Davis, Dinosaur Valley, and Palo Duro are amongst our favorites. We have heard some great things about Garner and Lost Maples down by San Antonio.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
I have stayed at a CPU Ike .of Thousand Trails and underwhelmed is a good way of putting it. I too think the State Parks are a great option. That is as long as you don't care if you have full hook ups. Many do not.

Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote