Voltage 3305......2017 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2018, 02:57 AM   #1
RJM

Arizona
Voltage 3305......2017

Hi, new member here. Not sure how to navigate on a forum.
So, thinking about buying 2017 3305 Voltage. Looking for info on quality or problems with that coach.

RJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:23 PM   #2

Louisiana
Welcome to the forum. The quality on most of the towable RVs are pretty much the same, with the higher end models having a few more amenities and features. Aside from that, all of the components, frames, etc. are made by the same companies. Every now and then some unfortunate person will get a true lemon, but for the most part if you take care of your RV and perform regular maintenance, they should last a while. Keep it covered if possible, and inspect the roof (re-caulk) at least once a year.

Some of the more commonly discussed issues with the Voltage line seem to be the slides (depending on whether you have the Schwintec worm gear type or cable type) and the AC ducting in the ceiling not being sealed properly or having scrap from the building process blocking air flow. Other not so major issues are crappy twist on terminators on all the TV coax cables, which can easily be fixed with a coax kit from Home Depot, and of course the cheap china-bomb tires. Personally, I have re-sealed my complete AC system, re-terminated all of my coax connectors, and replaced the tires a year after purchase. I have been lucky enough to not have issues with the slides.

If you are purchasing from a dealer, make sure you get them to test EVERY feature of the RV to your satisfaction BEFORE you take delivery. The reputation of the dealers is that they want to get you to sign and out the door. After that, if you have an issue, you may be waiting months for a repair. So make sure the heat works, the AC blows cold and has good flow from every vent (including the garage). Make sure the stove/oven lights, and the refrigerator and water heater both operate on electric and gas. Test the microwave, the TVs, and make sure everything works on generator and shore power. Run the slides in and out several times, and make sure they are operating smoothly and evenly. And if you have the touchscreen remote to power the slides, awnings, etc., make sure it works too.

Sorry I can't be more specific to your particular model, but the things above are a good place to start when it comes to the Voltage line.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:04 PM   #3
RJM

Arizona
Thanks so much, Sinecure, Sounds like a lot of good practical advice.
RJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #4

Louisiana
Glad to help. If you end up purchasing this unit, search this forum on the issues I mentioned, you'll find write-ups with pictures on how to fix each.

I've had my Voltage now going on 6 years and my only complaint is that we don't get to use it more often.

Clint
Old 12-16-2018, 04:39 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Cool Nice to hear a positive review on a Voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
Glad to help. If you end up purchasing this unit, search this forum on the issues I mentioned, you'll find write-ups with pictures on how to fix each.

I've had my Voltage now going on 6 years and my only complaint is that we don't get to use it more often.

Clint
Nice to hear a positive review on a Voltage.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #6

California
I would take a good look at the lead springs. Several of us have had issues with them. These two axle toy haulers have a lot of weight on the leaves and they are cheap Chinese steel that can flatten out. Some have had shackles brake too.

I tow with a 4wd Ram and a B&W companion hitch. The lowest setting on the hitch is still pretty high which means the rear of the trailer is very low and if the springs are flattening out then even lower which makes it a foregone conclusion that you will scrape or even bend or brake the metal trim below the ramp or the tube that holds your sewer hose. And the license plate frame needs to be flipped.

If you are buying a used unit then you should take a good look in the back for signs of scraping.

I put a 12 foot RZR and two motorcycles in the garage when we go out to ride so I am heavy but still within the limits per the specs. I keep the RZR in the trailer when I’m storage and didn’t used to lower the stabilizers in storage so I am sure all this static weight didn’t help. Now that I have replaced my suspension with better components I also now store with stabilizers extended to keep the weight off the springs. Now the leaves only have weight on them when I tow and they are stronger and Not cheap Chinese so I don’t anticipate any issues in the future!

I would also check the generator fuel gauge both in the rig and at the fuel caddy as they are notorious for issues too.

Overall I really like the trailer. After years of bumper towing the fifth wheel is awesome. I have had for 18 months and we really enjoy it. It is big and long so can be a real challenge to maneuver and you need a good running truck to tow it, like a diesel but you should really enjoy it.

Here is a list of all my issues:

Suspension and fuel gauges discussed above.

Trim pieces and base board fall off but easy to glue back on.

Drawer slides are bad but mostly because the sides of the drawers are basically balsa wood so the screws pull out and mess up the drawers, especially the bigger, heavier drawers.

Fresh water holding tank gauge doesn’t work which has never happened to me before. It reads low and empty when I have 3/4 of a full tank.

That is basically it, all the other major stuff has been fine, slides, hydraulic jacks, fridge, stove, microwave, tv, beds in garage, generator, iN·Command—all good.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #7

Washington
Hello
When you are doing your prepurchase inspection open all the drawers and look at
How they are constructed make sure they are firmly attached to the cabinet they are in and that they close and latch properly they . Open the doors check for cracks in the frames of the closet doors and bed and bath doors.check to make sure your slide is not marking or cutting the flooring. Check the functionality of your dump valves and that the handles are on tight . Good luck
Old 12-20-2018, 08:00 PM   #8

California
I can relate to the responses given on the Voltage line of trailers. I have a 2016 3605 TH. It was great for the first year then it began to fall apart. I recently got back from a 3,000 mi. road trip to Colorado. I had complete suspension failure. After $6,000 worth of repairs the trailer was back in the road. After extensive investigation, I found that the frame, spring holders, leaf springs and axles are under sized for the unit. Lippert makes a heavy duty frame outfitting kit that is welded to tour existing frame and suspension. The leads need to be 7 leaf and the size up in weight. The spring holders are to weak and axles are probably to light at 7,000 lbs. for a 16,8000 trailer. I'm short be aware of what's under you verses how it looks.
dmcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:42 AM   #9

Kentucky
Did your 3605 have the moryde suspension?
15hdsglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:05 AM   #10

California
Yes. I lost the moryde and Correct Track systems when the leaf spring broke and bent my frame. I had an Equaflex system installed between the spring stacks. You might want to check the eyes on your leaf springs. If they are out of round you will have spring failure down the road. Also look at the spring stack. It should have a nice arc with no flat spots by the eye or within the stack. Hope this info helps you out in checking out the condition of you trailer.
dmcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #11

California
I think we are seeing plenty of instances of suspension failures on the two axle trailers. Unfortunately, these posts and threads are pretty spread out so hard to find them all. Whether it is Lippert or the component manufacturers that are at fault is hard to say but it sure seems like the spring and axle combinations are not working long term for several people. My take is the weight of these trailers on tandem axles exceeds what these components can handle in the real world.

My advice is replace the springs and the axle hangers as well as bolts and shackles before there is a problem on the road as it could be a major disaster. If one of these broke on a trip it would ruin it for sure.