The axle, to flip or not? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2017, 03:20 AM   #1

Georgia
The axle, to flip or not?

We just purchased the Coleman 17FQ. We have been on a couple of weekend trips and love it. I already added a couple of jacks to the front and that has made a big difference.

The big issue I have now is clearance. It is only 6 to 6.5 inches in the back and a very small hill will cause it to scrub. I have heard that flipping the axle could give me 4 or 5 more inches clearance.

Is this a good option or is there a better one?

samtam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:43 AM   #2

California
Last Summer I had to flip mine on our Coleman 15BH. Ours did the same as yours and the drains were too low for anything but paved spaces. I bought a Dexter kit for less than $50 and welded the perches myself. We gained about 5-1/2" and love it, tows perfect. We camp in some areas with bad roads and haven't scraped anything yet. One thing to consider is the axle on mine had the brake wiring inside the axle. The wires exited the axle right in the center of where you install adjusting nuts so they can't be used. I had to reroute my wiring but it's easy. The whole thing took me about 3.5 hours and I'm and old geez.

Kuhl951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:56 AM   #3

Arizona
I flipped mine and added bigger off road tires as we camp off the beaten path. It has worked out great. Kodiak 201QB. Clears 12".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161117_122542.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	3920   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161118_125713.jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	3921  
jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #4

Massachusetts
Hey Jordi,
Just wondering how you like you 201qb, I ordered one about 3 weeks ago. Any major issues?
Thanks
Shaun
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Hey Jordi,
Just wondering how you like you 201qb, I ordered one about 3 weeks ago. Any major issues?
Thanks
Shaun
We have had ours for about 7 months and it has been great. No real issues. Lots of little fit and finish stuff but it is cosmetics. Seems to be a nice size for getting places yet roomy for 2 people. The storage is awesome for this size trailer and that bathroom is pretty generous as well.
jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #6

Montana
Flipping the axles on our Aspen Trail 2710BH raised it about 4" I'm not that mechanically handy and paid the RV shop around $400 to do it for me. We did it pretty much right off the bat because the rear scrubbed on the first trip home from the dealer while trying to park it. So I don't really have a before/after comparison. I can say that I don't note any towing problems related to it though. We do need to tote around a little step stool to serve as a bottom step because the camper step is now quite high off the ground.

Tags
axles, clearance