Newbie to Forums! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #1

Michigan
Newbie to Forums!

Hi There! Newbie to forums but not RV'ing. We're on our third 5th wheel, first TH. Started pulling Recreational Doubles, (what they are called in Michigan), back in 04 with a Damon 34' 5th wheel & a 12' 2 place open motorcycle trailer. Move up to 36' Travel Supreme & a 16' tandem axle enclosed trailer, (yes, a hair over-length in Michigan). Snuck that rig into Florida after being totally confused by the DOT reg's I downloaded from the net. Didn't make it back out thou. I was carrying a Class C with Triple Trailers Lic at the time and the cop let me proceed with just a finger waging and a warning that if we got stopped again we would probably have to break them apart. So now we have a 2012 Voltage V3905 to end the problem of pulling doubles in some states.

I have to say after owning a Travel Supreme we are not impressed with the Voltage. I see many folks have had great luck and are happy with theirs, but we have had many trips to our local dealer and a couple of months at the factory in Goshen IN. Things are still not right so I am now scrounging the internet for answers on DIY repairs, hence joining this site.

Currently we are in Florida and as it's a nice day it's time to go ride'n!

Two Harleys
Aronious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #2

Michigan
I need to preface my above comments on the time that our TH was at the factory service center. Dan the service manager there worked very hard to make us happy and the list of problems that was repaired there has held up well. In addition Dan made a few upgrades to 2013 model standards in an attempt to make us "Happy Campers". One of those was, because we had hauled the unit for "a few miles", they replaced the 6 tires and rims with new. He also reimbursed us for the mileage to deliver to the factory shop. After we picked up the unit and returned home the next day one of the new tires was flat. I removed it and took it to a local tire shop where I was told the rim had a pinhole in it. A call to Dan and the next day UPS dropped off a new rim and tire. Ya, we are happy with what Dan and his crew did for us but as my mama use to say, "It's tough to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"!
Our original view of the overall look and layout of the Voltage impressed us or we wouldn't have spent the $$$$ to purchase.
I guess I'm just "fussy" about how things work. If this was just a TH we used for a weekend at a time I might have a different view of this particular Voltage but we spend several months a year in it and to satisfy our use I need to make some modifications to her and still fix some existing problems. As I make mods and repairs I will try to post them on this forum so others have a better experience.

Two Harleys
Old 03-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #3

Illinois
hi aaron you should be fussy weather you use it alot or just a little you sounds very exp in rvs. welcome to forum im just a newbie. I love michigan my wife and i are going there alot looking for a season place up there . how far is carelton anyways
flyingdutchmen0625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #4

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchmen0625 View Post
hi aaron you should be fussy weather you use it alot or just a little you sounds very exp in rvs. welcome to forum im just a newbie. I love michigan my wife and i are going there alot looking for a season place up there . how far is carelton anyways
Carleton is about 18 miles north of Toledo OH. Just a little north of Monroe and just west of 275.

I spent 46 years working in the private trucking industry in maintenance, at one time with 17 mechanics under me. I should have a pretty good idea of what is good or bad as far as design and workmanship. Of course my guys weren't required to get so many units out the door a day so when we put a new floor in a trailer we didn't leave screws sticking up for things to catch on. When we get home I plan on fixing all the screws that are sticking out of the factory tiedowns in the garage. I'll try to post pic's of the repairs when I do it.
Two Harleys
Old 03-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #5

Illinois
luv to see them good luck with your rig
flyingdutchmen0625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #6

Indiana
Aaron & Laura,

Welcome!!!

Although, I have not experienced the same issues with my Infinity, I did have quite a list of issues that had to be addressed. Overall, once the issues (under warranty) had been taken care of we're doing fine. Just very irritating and an inconvenience.
This being my 4th 5er, I've found that there's always something that needs to be fixed or maintained, as you know.
I'm in Florida right now and will be returning to Maine either the end of next week or beginning of the following week.
Up there, we'll be doing our weekend warrior trips to different camping resorts throughout Maine and New Hampshire.

Best O'luck

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #7

Michigan
Thanks for the welcome Dave,
We ordered our from a RV show in Feb of 011 and the factory rep said he had one coming off the line the following week with the spec's we ordered. That didn't happen. Finely got delivered to the dealer end of May. Came thru as a 2012 model, that was a plus. That made it built early in the production run. Point I am trying to make here is that we have had it awhile and I am sure the factory has made a lot of changes since then. Hopefully for the better. So I am not sure how many of problems we've had caries over to the newer models. The Epic series were just going into production at the time we ordered, Love those paint jobs------ Oh well ------ Your Infinity looks great, wish you the best of luck with it.
Two Harleys
Old 03-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
I guess we have been fortunate. We have had 5 minor issues and everything has been fixed fine. My one issue that I'm still dealing with is the dealer cut the underbelly to fix a valve that wasn't sealing completely. They put one piece of duct tape across the cut and it came off after 50 miles. There has to be a better way than tape.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #9

Michigan
Our Voltage came from the factory with tape on several spots of the underbelly and I noticed when we got here to Florida that several were blowing in the wind and barely hanging on. I hope someone out there has a good answer for a repair as black duct tape is not holding up. Also the opening left makes a good spot for ants/insects to get in.
Two Harleys
Old 03-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #10
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
I have done some taping in the past and used Gorilla duct tape. It works well as long as you clean we're the tape goes first. Someone once told me if you use the tape that repairs the roof it will last. I forget the name of the tape, but it is more costly. Hopefully some one has other ideas.

We live in Findlay, Oh. If your up here in June we are having a rally at Poncho's Pond in Ludington Mi. The info is posted on the forum.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #11

Michigan
Thanks for the quick answer, will give it a try.
I'm familiar with Poncho's Pond, I have a son that lives a few blocks from there. Great riding area. We try to ride the road along the big lake south at least a couple times a year. Will put the event on the calendar and see what happens.

Two Harleys