Newbie, New to RV'ing, just purchased Used Aerolite 160 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2016, 12:32 AM   #1

New Hampshire
Thumbs down Newbie, New to RV'ing, just purchased Used Aerolite 160

Really greenhorn newbie. I am new to camping, and new to RV'ing, I am in process of purchasing a used 2009 Aerolite Cub 160 from craigslist: 2009 Dutchman Aerolite Cub Hybrid Camper Model 160

I live in NH and plan to use RV in NH white mountains. Can anyone recommend good rv parks near Wolfeboro, North Conway, Tilton, Gunstock.
Excellent Condition - Very lightly used - Very Clean & Shiny * Has many optional features * 2-Queen Size Beds plus convertible dinette bed. * Air Conditioning * Forced Air Furnace w/Thermostat * Ducted Heat * LP Bottles with ABS Cover * 6 Gallon Hot Water Heater * Oven with 3-Burner Range* Microwave * Range Hood w/12 Volt Light and Exhaust Fan* Gas/Electric Fridge * Outside Gas Grille with Cover* Outside optional attaching table * AM/FM/CD Player * TV Antenna* Systems Monitor Panel * Fire Extinguisher * Spare Tire w/Cover* Spray-away Wash Station * Awning * Full bath with shower* Skylight/Fan in Bath * Patio Light* On-Demand Water Pump * Mini-Blinds throughout * TV/Media Shelf/Cabinet* Single Fold-out Step
As I did not buy from a dealer, the previous owner does not really know a-lot about "using" this rv -- He used it as "spare bedroom" for his adult kids for two weekends this summer next to his lakeside house. He never "moved" it or used it to camp in. They did not use bathroom or kitchen. Also I don't think he will spend an hour with me going over "using the rv".

Overwhelmed. I have lots of questions.

I found the pdi (pre delivery inspection) -- will print out and look it over as a starting point of all the stuff I need to learn.

Plan on spending time reading these forums. Which forums would be most useful to me to get started?

Looked over FAQs - could not find a good list of which forum, to ask what type of questions?

Which forum should I ask these types of questions? Questions like;
Most important is how do I get started in learning about using a RV?

Looking for help on locating other resources to help me get started in rv'ing. Any suggestion?

I found the link as to how to handle the black-water. Avoid a Mess: Empty Your Waste Tanks Cleanly and Easily - RV Life
Need to figure out the rest.

Where can I find a manual for 2009 Aerolite Cub Model 160 ?

I love lists. Does anyone have a checklist of;
  1. ... of What to bring first time camping? i.e. What are some of the odd things that you take camping that a newbie may not think of?
  2. ... what to do / check before pulling rv long distances? Check tire pressure, etc ???
  3. ... of how to setup rv at campsite?
  4. ... of how to pack up rv at campsite?
  5. ... of how to pick campsite or actually park rv at campsite? Any tips?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan.

AeroLiteCub160_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:05 AM   #2

British Columbia
Dan, welcome to the forum.

You have a hockey sock full of questions there.

If you have already bought the camper, welcome to the school of hard knocks. If not I would suggest you get a bunch of those answers before you do.

The biggest ???, do you have a tow vehicle that is able to haul it..

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #3

New Hampshire
Dan,
Mosey around this forum a bit and you'll find answers to most of your questions. As for Campgrounds, there are many in the towns you specified but I would recommend that you avoid State campgrounds initially as they typically don't have the amenities of water and electric service at sites.
By visiting private (higher end) campgrounds initially you'll have the opportunity to sort out any incumbent issues before going where dry camping or boon-docking really puts you and your equipment to the test. The folks you'll find at just about any campground you visit will be more than happy to share their knowledge and experience with you... just ask. As for what to bring? RV Camping Checklist
Most important of all is to relax and enjoy the adventure!!
Old 09-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #4

New Hampshire
and... an addendum to my (as yet to be authorized) last post regarding NH campgrounds...
http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/...e_Park_Map.pdf

I just learned that using "Quick Post" rather than "Reply" requires your posting to be pre-approved prior to its showing.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:07 PM   #5

Tennessee
Check the roof first, if he didn't camp with it, I doubt he's been on the roof. After 6 years there's a lot of potential leaks up there. At least be sure to know the in's and out's of the manual awning (those can be tricky and potentially dangerous) and the pop out's.

If he's not willing to spend an hour or so with you, RUN!!!

Mt first camper was a hybrid and the owner took the time to set the entire thing up from pop outs to the awning, otherwise I would have been lost.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:38 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
and... an addendum to my (as yet to be authorized) last post regarding NH campgrounds...

I just learned that using "Quick Post" rather than "Reply" requires your posting to be pre-approved prior to its showing.
Actually it has to do with your using a link in the post. New members have to post a certain number of times before links can be used without approval. It has to do with keeping spammers in check.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #7

Florida
Welcome to the forum. You have received lots of great advise so for. I would had to check the date of manufacture of the tires. If over 5 years old, replace them regardless of tread depth. If the tires were covered, you may stretch the time to 7 years.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #8

South Carolina
What Alpha said about state parks may be true in NH, but here in SC every state park with camping has electric and water, but very few have sewer connections. But every park with camping DOES have a dump station to use on your way out. Check with the Alabama state website to see what's in your area. We often camp at a state park only 12 miles away. Easy to run home and get what you forgot! LOL
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #9

Texas
I've stayed at an Alabama State Park 2 years in a row that did indeed have great amenities. Even the public restrooms were kept in perfect condition. Swimming pool was nice too!

Gulf Shores State Park, I believe. Great place to do a shakedown on a new-to-buyer RV in Alabama.

Welcome. & Good Luck.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:51 PM   #10

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
I've stayed at an Alabama State Park 2 years in a row that did indeed have great amenities. Even the public restrooms were kept in perfect condition. Swimming pool was nice too!

Gulf Shores State Park, I believe. Great place to do a shakedown on a new-to-buyer RV in Alabama.

Welcome. & Good Luck.
Wow, Snakebitten, that IS nice! I thought our SC state parks were nice, but this is something else! Camping | Alapark
Old 09-05-2016, 10:18 PM   #11

California
I especially like the "do not feed the alligators or other wildlife" on their park map.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:58 PM   #12

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Actually it has to do with your using a link in the post. New members have to post a certain number of times before links can be used without approval. It has to do with keeping spammers in check.

Aaron
Thanks Aaron, I learn something new every time I log into this forum. Plenty of adventures left in this old camper though so there'll be many occasions to learn even more. Our shakedown weekend for the new RV is coming up, then it's off to the Maine coast followed by two months up and down the entire East coast.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:48 AM   #13

New Hampshire
Yes I have a F-150, plan on buying a toyata tacoma or Nissan Frontier to pull it. Checked "weights" best I could. Everything look ok. Plan on using city "dump" scale to weigh trailer before and after loading.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:52 AM   #14

New Hampshire
Smile

Quote:
Dan,
Mosey around this forum a bit and you'll find answers to most of your questions. As for Campgrounds, there are many in the towns you specified but I would recommend that you avoid State campgrounds initially as they typically don't have the amenities of water and electric service at sites.
By visiting private (higher end) campgrounds initially you'll have the opportunity to sort out any incumbent issues before going where dry camping or boon-docking really puts you and your equipment to the test. The folks you'll find at just about any campground you visit will be more than happy to share their knowledge and experience with you... just ask. As for what to bring? RV Camping Checklist
Most important of all is to relax and enjoy the adventure!!
THANKS for the RV Camping checklist Just what I was looking for...
Old 09-06-2016, 12:57 AM   #15

New Hampshire
Quote:

Thanks for the list of state parks. Will have to do more research on these, and maybe go visit them first, as they do not list "RV" camping in amenities list... they list "camping". I thing I will "go private" for the first few times, until I learn more and work out the kinks.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:06 AM   #16

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Check the roof first, if he didn't camp with it, I doubt he's been on the roof. After 6 years there's a lot of potential leaks up there. At least be sure to know the in's and out's of the manual awning (those can be tricky and potentially dangerous) and the pop out's.

If he's not willing to spend an hour or so with you, RUN!!!

Mt first camper was a hybrid and the owner took the time to set the entire thing up from pop outs to the awning, otherwise I would have been lost.
Thanks for the tip. The owner is very cooperative - to the best of his knowledge.

Asked him about "water damage", and he said the previous owner had a leak, and fixed it. Is going to give me previous owners name and contact info. From inspecting floor, looks like floor has been replaced recently. It has never leaked on him. He only owned it for the last 10 months. I realize that the guy could be lying but my gut says he is not. I deal with lying tenants all the time and am a good reader of honest people.

He only "plugged in 120v ac cord". Never used 12v system or propane. I am sure he will go over basic setup... I still need help on "detailed setup" of water heater, turning on gas SAFELY, etc.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:10 AM   #17

New Hampshire
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
Welcome to the forum. You have received lots of great advise so for. I would had to check the date of manufacture of the tires. If over 5 years old, replace them regardless of tread depth. If the tires were covered, you may stretch the time to 7 years.
Thanks for the tip. I will have to figure out how to "check the date of manufacture of the tires?"

I was wondering why some rvs in the neighborhood had tires covered and tarp over roof and these weird large lego blocks under the front tires .
IF I understand correctly, covering the tires will protect against "UV" light damage -- covering will make them last longer - approx 7 years?
Old 09-06-2016, 01:14 AM   #18

New Hampshire
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
What Alpha said about state parks may be true in NH, but here in SC every state park with camping has electric and water, but very few have sewer connections. But every park with camping DOES have a dump station to use on your way out. Check with the Alabama state website to see what's in your area. We often camp at a state park only 12 miles away. Easy to run home and get what you forgot! LOL
For my first RV camping trip, I was thinking of going to a close by state rv park "Kingston State Park" in NH... Now I think I will find a private rv park that has everything available on the site (electric + water + sewer)
Old 09-06-2016, 01:25 AM   #19

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroLiteCub160_2009 View Post
For my first RV camping trip, I was thinking of going to a close by state rv park "Kingston State Park" in NH... Now I think I will find a private rv park that has everything available on the site (electric + water + sewer)
Oops, my mistake. I now see in the text of your first post that you live in NH. I was going by the location on the left side that said AL. Big difference!
Old 09-06-2016, 01:48 AM   #20

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
OOPS... Sorry, I live in New Hampshire "Live free or Die" state.... Not Alabama. Corrected state in my user info...

Tags
2009, aerolite cub, model 160, newbie