Newbie introduction from Iowa - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2021, 03:49 PM   #1

Iowa
Newbie introduction from Iowa

Hello everyone!

Well, I don't have it yet, but I pick up my Kodiak Cub 177RB from a local dealer on Tuesday! Both excited and a bit apprehensive. I've towed trailers cross-country and rented RVs in the past, but this will be the first time that I've owned an RV, and I know there's a lot for me to learn! Unfortunately, I have to store it immediately after picking it up as my HOA doesn't permit RV parking and campgrounds in my area don't open before early-April. But I've got all that set up, so I'll pick up the RV Tuesday, drive around a bit to get a feel for it, then drop it off at the storage until April.

This is a pretty small camper, but I think it's a good size for me as I get started. For now it's just me and my dog, and probably only a few months a year, so I think it'll work out well.

I retired in 2019 and I'm teaching part-time, but I have no classes this spring so I'm volunteering as a camp host for part of the late-spring/early-summer. I'll be hosting in Bryce Canyon for about two months, then back to Iowa for a month at a state park. I'm really excited about this opportunity - I've long thought about campground hosting in retirement and I can't believe that I actually got Bryce Canyon for my first assignment!

Anyway, I'll try to post some pictures from Bryce Canyon in a few months, as best I can (no WiFi in the campground, and limited access at the visitor center).

Looking forward to any and all comments and suggestions, especially if related to Kodiaks, trailer hauling, or campground hosting.

Thanks,
Dan

dj317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:06 PM   #2

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj317 View Post
Hello everyone!

Well, I don't have it yet, but I pick up my Kodiak Cub 177RB from a local dealer on Tuesday! Both excited and a bit apprehensive. I've towed trailers cross-country and rented RVs in the past, but this will be the first time that I've owned an RV, and I know there's a lot for me to learn! Unfortunately, I have to store it immediately after picking it up as my HOA doesn't permit RV parking and campgrounds in my area don't open before early-April. But I've got all that set up, so I'll pick up the RV Tuesday, drive around a bit to get a feel for it, then drop it off at the storage until April.

This is a pretty small camper, but I think it's a good size for me as I get started. For now it's just me and my dog, and probably only a few months a year, so I think it'll work out well.

I retired in 2019 and I'm teaching part-time, but I have no classes this spring so I'm volunteering as a camp host for part of the late-spring/early-summer. I'll be hosting in Bryce Canyon for about two months, then back to Iowa for a month at a state park. I'm really excited about this opportunity - I've long thought about campground hosting in retirement and I can't believe that I actually got Bryce Canyon for my first assignment!

Anyway, I'll try to post some pictures from Bryce Canyon in a few months, as best I can (no WiFi in the campground, and limited access at the visitor center).

Looking forward to any and all comments and suggestions, especially if related to Kodiaks, trailer hauling, or campground hosting.

Thanks,

Dan
Welcome to the forum...

hognuts1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:17 AM   #3

Florida
Welcome to this place! Shame you are not going to be able to shake down your RV for another couple of months.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:16 PM   #4

Iowa
Thanks!
Yes, I'm hoping for a couple of nearby weekend trips in early April before driving to Utah. Otherwise the shake down is going to be 3 nights enroute!
Old 02-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #5

California
Do yourself a favor and spend a long time on the pre-delivery inspection and don’t take delivery until everything is fixed—especially because you need to store it couple of months anyway, you could save that money while they fix all the stuff that you find.

There are some checklists here that are very thorough.

Do not be alarmed when you find several issues that need attention. It will happen. And the warranty starts when you take delivery so get the problems fixed before you do. The selling dealer will tell you not to worry and just take it home them bring it back in a few weeks or whatever to fix those minor issues. Do not do that. Make them fix everything before you take it, especially as you will be living in it for a couple of months away from where you bought it so it might be challenge to find the time to move it and non-selling dealers will prioritize all their buyers ahead of you for repairs.

Also, some warranties are voided if you live in it so make sure you tell them you are not living in it—just taking a long initial trip.

Not trying to scare you but you will have problems along the way. This forum wouldn’t exist if we didn’t. The good news is everything can be fixed so keep that in mind. The Dutchmen quality control is either non-existent or horrendous.

Good luck with the trailer.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:27 PM   #6

Iowa
That's great advice, thanks. I'm working on a pre-inspections checklist right now - I'll look for those checklists you mentioned here and see what I haven't though of!
Old 02-15-2021, 06:06 PM   #7

Wisconsin
If you plan on keeping the Cub for more than 3 years, I recommend you get the entire under carriage and tongue parts over painted with a high quality automotive or industrial paint.

The plated hardware will rust. The black paint will loose its shine and develop rust spots. The jacks on mine are the worst.

Any body shop can do it. It is easier to do it while still new before rust starts.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:18 PM   #8

Iowa
Another great tip, thanks!

Keep 'em coming!
Old 02-20-2021, 09:08 PM   #9

Washington
Welcome to the forum! I have a cub too - a few years old.
Check out the Facebook group for Cub owners as welz
Enjoy
TK on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:41 PM   #10

Nebraska
Tires

Don’t know which tire they put on from factory. People have had a lot of problems with blow outs from a certain brand which can cause big bucks in damage to a camper. Check out UTube. Today several full time RVer’s had videos out relating to what to look for, week and month made, rubber shelf life, etc and what they’ve upgraded to. (One I can think of today was Long Long Honeymoon also check out vid playlists by Changing Lanes and Keep Your Daydream).
LorieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:42 AM   #11

Illinois
Congratulations and good luck
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:15 AM   #12

Texas
Inspect and expect!!!

Awesome! You’ll love your Cub, we have and are having so much fun in ours! Would be wise to take close notes from “dsol” from this thread; take all the time YOU need and look at every single nut, screw, faucet, toilet, wheel lug nuts, inside trim, front cover outside, and take special attention to how well the shower has been caulked. Once you leave that dealer you are “almost” gonna be on your own! I always thought auto dealers were the worst but RV dealerships take the cake. Expect nothing after the sale! I’m just saying! But we do LOVE our Kodiak Cub and it has been great once we got those little things done.
WeKampToLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:08 PM   #13

Florida
Shakedown

DSOL nailed it quite well. Maybe you can do their walk thru and then ask to spend another hour or so in the camper by yourself just to get the feel of it. Turn on the air, microwave etc. Take a voltmeter and check out the recepticles to make sure they are wired properly. Spending a little time just sitting in there by yourself will be helpful. As far as the internet goes , we have metro pc for our cell phone that is 40.00 per month and includes tax, no limit data and phone time. We can use our phone as a hot spot to get on the internet so you might try that. Make sure your data plan is unlimited though as data is costly but I don't think you can beat 40.00 all inclusive. Happy trails on your new and up coming adventures.
edwin sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:24 PM   #14

Florida
keep an eye out for Viasat or Starlink!
Old 02-23-2021, 09:39 PM   #15

Florida
Just a note, I got an email today telling me that starlink was ready to order (I put my name on a waiting list). 50-150 meg with a 20ms larency(good enough for email).
Old 02-23-2021, 09:43 PM   #16

Florida
See attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74C74BDB-D1FF-447F-B361-84F84D2FAC77.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	6680  
Old 02-23-2021, 09:59 PM   #17