Newbie here - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2014, 01:16 AM   #1

Arizona
Newbie here

New to this fourm Picking up a new V3605 next Thursday. Not new to fourms or trailers have had several trailers and toy haulers but this is our first 5th wheel.
Towing with a 2015 2500HD Silverado Duramax.
From lake Havasu Az.

shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:58 AM   #2

Washington
Welcome aboard!

Old 08-23-2014, 03:48 AM   #3

Nevada
Welcome

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #4

Arizona
Howdy! Picked up our Voltage 3950 from Flagstaff a couple of weeks ago. So far so good here in Montana this week. Idaho next and then back to LHC.

Jim and Julie
2014 Voltage 3950 Epic III
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW, Cummins
havasujim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:21 AM   #5

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
New to this fourm Picking up a new V3605 next Thursday. Not new to fourms or trailers have had several trailers and toy haulers but this is our first 5th wheel.
From lake Havasu Az.

howdy and welcome aboard!!

the following are a few suggestions others have found helpfull before doing the final paperwork:

1. Stay over night at least Thursday night in their lot with electricity. That way you you can make certain the air works, any fireplaces, microwave, charger, Tvs, etc..

2. Have them open up the basement, or take an electric screwdriver with you and open up yourself. (At night, you will want to check out the "behind the walls" stuff after they close)

3. Check as many co-ax connectors that you are able to check and all electric outlets.

4. Go over all of the wooden components and trim checking for cracks scratches etc.

5. Remove ALL of the drawers and make certain all of the supporting members are of good quality and fastened properly. The things you can't see is where the quality suffers IMHO!
The large drawer under the refer had screw fastening the supporting stringers that were too short, cracked the piece of crap wood they used. I wondered why the drawer tipped down when I opened it and nothing was in it.

6. Use the water,, hot water heater on both gas and electric. Make sure there is not a recall on the refer and that it cools down.

7. Make certain the air units are working and properly ducted.

8.. As you go through your rig AT NIGHT make sure you tag EVERYTHING that you find with bright flour scent sticky notes That needs attention. Make sure it is fixed before you leave the lot and you have signed your papers.

I did not do these things I suggested. I had to make an appointment for several weeks after to get thing fixed and they still did not fix the air duct-work.

Try and find one of these. It. Will help you find those pesky leaks.

Black & Decker TLD100 Thermal Leak Detector - - Amazon.com

Learn from others mistakes is my motto!
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:56 AM   #6

Tennessee
Good advise Rick..
Old 08-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #7

Oklahoma
All good suggestions but I wonder how many dealers will accept the liability of someone camping in one of their units, a unit that hasn't had a deal closed on it or a signature on the paper.

Then how many will take the time to connect electricity to the unit or water, how about over night sewage?

Nah, it would be a rare dealer that would do that.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
All good suggestions but I wonder how many dealers will accept the liability of someone camping in one of their units, a unit that hasn't had a deal closed on it or a signature on the paper.

Then how many will take the time to connect electricity to the unit or water, how about over night sewage?

Dunno about rare, but if they want to close the sale I think they would do it. I know of at least 3 dealers in our area that allow it and one that encourages it (happens to be an Airstream dealer)

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #9

Colorado
We bought a 2015 V3605 from Windish RV in Denver in July. Be sure that you check everything before you leave the dealership and I mean everything! We have had nothing but problems with our unit. First time trying to bring living room slide in it would only move a few inches and stop! Had to cancel our first trip, motor controller had to be replaced. Noticed water on the floor in the garage and found the P trap in the half bath had not been glued. DVD player didn't work, one of the speakers didn't work, blower on the fire place didn't work. Hydraulic leak in the leveling system, main bath door knob about to fall off, trim in bath counter top ends not glued. All together there are 24 different problems with the unit. Trying to get thing fixed is a problem, hope you have better luck then we are having!
Elmobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Good ole Windish sent me on my way to southern Arizona in a 3800 with a low tire. I eventually discovered the wheel had a pin hole but that was after a few thousand miles.

When everyone says to check everything then check everything, don't ASSume the dealer did it all, if anything, for you. The salesman want his commission, the dealer wants it off the lot and the mechanics hope you have to take it some place else for repairs.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Dunno about rare, but if they want to close the sale I think they would do it. I know of at least 3 dealers in our area that allow it and one that encourages it (happens to be an Airstream dealer)

Aaron
Somehow comparing a Voltage or Ducthman product with an Airstream is a stretch I feel.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #12

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
From lake Havasu Az.
Welcome to the forum. You're going to love the unit, and towing with '15 Dmax is a dream!!!

You'll have to tell me where to stay in Lake Havasu, want to bring the family to come check out London Bridge, and the area.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:02 AM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Somehow comparing a Voltage or Ducthman product with an Airstream is a stretch I feel.
Not that much of a stretch, a Thor product is a Thor product.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:06 AM   #14

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
True, but we must have the bastard at the family reunion
Old 08-25-2014, 01:08 AM   #15
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Thor is more of a holding company than a manufacturer. As long as the plant is producing and making money Thor pretty much leaves them alone. With Fleetwood it was a completely different story, it was their way or you got shut down. One of the reasons Fleetwood is no longer around. Not exactly sure how Forest River does it. But they seem to have a better overall handle on QC than some of the Thor divisions. Airstream is no exception to the QC problem. Though apparently not as severe as Dutchmen. Which may be one of the reasons that Dutchmen has been taken over by the Keystone management.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:19 AM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Thor is more of a holding company than a manufacturer. As long as the plant is producing and making money Thor pretty much leaves them alone. With Fleetwood it was a completely different story, it was their way or you got shut down. One of the reasons Fleetwood is no longer around. Not exactly sure how Forest River does it. But they seem to have a better overall handle on QC than some of the Thor divisions. Airstream is no exception to the QC problem. Though apparently not as severe as Dutchmen. Which may be one of the reasons that Dutchmen has been taken over by the Keystone management.

Aaron
Forest River is a Berkshire Hathaway company and I don't think Warren Buffett would take to kindly to a company that puts out the shoddy product that Dutchmen puts out.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:35 AM   #17

Arizona
Thanks for all the welcomes! We won't be spending the night at the dealership but rest assured i will be checking and double checking everything from electrical to plumbing,slides,fridge A/C,TV's DVD's,awnings,Generator,etc.Then i am going back through and checking everything again.I have had several trailers and toy haulers so i know all the stuff to check out.I'll be taking it and using it for the weekend if all good it will go into inside storage.If not it will be parked back on the dealers lot until everything is all good. HavasuJim stop by and say hello sometime i own an Automotive shop on W.Acoma Robinson Automotive & ducmons if you ever get out this way i will point you in the right direction of where to stay and what to do.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #18

Michigan
Quote:

Well, I guess I would be taking two days to go through EVERYTHING in order to make sure things worked properly, period.
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:18 AM   #19

Maryland
Shadow

Welcome to the forum! I have the 2014 V3605 also. Did a lot of fixing and adding. I love this TH and would buy another.if I can help in any way please ask.

2014 V3605
2014 F-350. 6.7

Bsfunk is offline   Reply With Quote