New Voltage 3818 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 02:12 AM   #1

Washington
New Voltage 3818

Hello, well sorta new, we bought in January and started full time again, we went with the 3818 so we could haul the car with us instead of using the 1 ton Dulle everywhere. Working out great, had a few minor bugs to work out when we got it but nothing major. So far so good and just past the 2000 mile mark with it. No major issue yet with the overall length except that some parks just can not accommodate us, but there are plenty to choose from. Love all the room after the car is pulled out and is like having a second RV. Three extra beds for company is great if needed. Thanks and hope to see and meet more users on the road!

ranbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:27 AM   #2

Arizona
Yeah, you have a huge garage. I looked at the 3818 and really liked it, but went with the 3905. 14 foot garage was big enough for me. What car are you putting in your garage?

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:57 AM   #3

Washington
We have a Toyota Prius that I haul, much better gas mileage than the Diesel Dulle. I did have two ramps made just as a reinforcement for the door and so far it all works great.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:03 AM   #4

Arizona
Have you been across the scales with that yet? I am really curious
Old 05-22-2015, 04:14 AM   #5

Washington
Not Yet, next time I fuel up and there is a public scales, I am going to check it. Since I have the car in it, I do not have fuel in the rear fuel tank and only about 1/2 tank in the generator tank as I want to stay way under the load limit on the rear.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #6

Washington
Just under 31,000 total with the 1 ton diesel dulle and with the Prius inside
Old 06-29-2015, 03:22 AM   #7

Colorado
ranbud,

Ooohh...I really wanted an Epic 3818...but my wife, er BOSS, kept slapping my hand when I pointed to it in the brochure.

Wound up with a 3800 for the 14ft garage and the Living area layout!!

As you note, its interesting the RV parks, FS parks, etc. that cannot handle RVs like we have.

About 90 miles from us is Lake O'Haver, FS campground that seems to have been built back when a 20 ft camp trailer was huge!!! Two years ago the campground closed and was completely re-done. Guess what...the slots still won't handle anything longer that about a 22ft RV and tow vehicle. The FS and BLM closed a bunch of the dry camping areas for "re-vegetation" So now we have a wonderful, large, off-road trail area that we have no place to park.

So it goes!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:10 AM   #8

Washington
I hear you, I have to really read reviews on each park because they always say they can handle big rigs, but when I read reviews they say differently, plus with a 1 ton dulle to also have to park, my idea of a large access road is different from park owners. We tend to not go to FS parks just because we tend to like quiet and not a lot of late night campfire types..haha We love the 3818, we are able to haul out Prius inside, then when we are parked, it is a large family room. There are a few negatives with the 3818, but not anything that is a big deal. That sucks about not having a good selection of places to park that RV. I really liked the 3800 but I needed just a little more room for the car.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #9

Wyoming
It's been my experience that some parks... even when renovated... simply do not want big rigs, and that's ok too.

There's a park like that not too far from where i live. When I asked the owner one time, why they didn't make a full pull-thru 50-amp sites when they redid the place a year ago, they told me that they simply wanted to keep their park small & intimate.

His reasons were varied but some were...

* to make space for larger rigs, though they bring in more money per site... he'd have had to lose more than the equivalent number of small sites to make up for it. For every 2 long big-rig sites, he could heave 3 smaller sites... plus would lose another smaller site due to having to make the roads & curves wider to accommodate the length of the longer rigs.

* people in smaller campers tend to be outside more... whereas people in larger, more comforatble rigs tend to stay inside more. When they do this, they burn more electricity using their AC units, powering TV's, etc.

Bottom line was that... if he was building a completely new park from scratch, that'd be one thing. But in redoing his existing place, he said he didn't think he could be as profitable as he was already... that the return on his costs for the upgrades he'd have had to make to the entire campground layout, to increase the power grid, and to upgrade the plumbing to account for increased water use, etc. wouldn't be as much as it already is.

Can't say I blame him for that.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:53 PM   #10

Washington
True, can't fault them, but then again, more and more people are going
larger. I would just like for park reviews to be true as to being big rig
friendly. Using Goodsam park reviews is a joke as their ratings are so far
off that it is just about useless, I had to go to rvparkreviews site to get
true information from real campers.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #11

Colorado
Sigh...but ya know...I just have to laugh when we're driving along and here's comes a vehicle pulling a 16 or 20 ft camp trailer, no AC on the roof...why would you do that?

Or a dually pulling about a 22ft 5th wheel?

I guess if that's what you want, fine...but I got over the ol' 16ft Red Dale...oh...about 25 years ago. Fine for going elk hunting. But retired and enjoying life...I guess I want it all. And if I have to find someplace special to be able to park...I'll do that!

Pirate
Old 06-29-2015, 11:23 PM   #12

Nevada
Pirate
I am with you, I had the Truck Campers, and small Trailers, being retired now, I want it all, large couches, indoor and outdoor TV's, A/C and large bathrooms
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:26 AM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
Pirate
I am with you, I had the Truck Campers, and small Trailers, being retired now, I want it all, large couches, indoor and outdoor TV's, A/C and large bathrooms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Sigh...but ya know...I just have to laugh when we're driving along and here's comes a vehicle pulling a 16 or 20 ft camp trailer, no AC on the roof...why would you do that?

Or a dually pulling about a 22ft 5th wheel?

I guess if that's what you want, fine...but I got over the ol' 16ft Red Dale...oh...about 25 years ago. Fine for going elk hunting. But retired and enjoying life...I guess I want it all. And if I have to find someplace special to be able to park...I'll do that!

Pirate
And I am going the other way! I have had a 38' fifth wheel, 36' MoHo, and other stuff, current camper is a 16' Coleman TT. We will most likely end up with a 28'-30' TT. Right now the front runner is the Lance 2285 for a variety of reasons. The game plan is to travel for a couple of months 2-3 times a year then home the rest of the time. I am still a ways out on retirement, like 10 years now. I was supposed to retire this year but the airline bankruptcies back in 2005/2008 killed my wife's retirement accounts. And she was the major wage earner at the time.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:20 AM   #14

Colorado
Aaron,

Ouch, that musta hurt pretty badly!! And having to look forward to working another 10 years...that hurts even more!!

Hopefully you have a good job, one you like to go to and the years will pass faster than you wish!!

All the very best!!!

Pirate
Old 06-30-2015, 10:25 AM   #15
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Aaron,

Ouch, that musta hurt pretty badly!! And having to look forward to working another 10 years...that hurts even more!!

Hopefully you have a good job, one you like to go to and the years will pass faster than you wish!!

All the very best!!!

Pirate
Job is decent and can't be off-shored or taken over by robots

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:35 AM   #16

Illinois
Aaron, if things go south, you could always quit the job and go to RV park to RV park and do mobile repairs. You clearly have what it takes.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:19 PM   #17

Nevada
Aaron

Hang in there, 10 years went quick for me, I hope to have the Toy Hauler for 10 years, then go back to a Truck Camper, now that they have Slide outs.
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:55 PM   #18

California
I haven't run into any private parks my toyhauler wouldn't fit into but than mine is only 39' long. Now there is a Joshua Tree N.P. sit I could just fit into with my 33' Teton. Can't go there any more. Did find another campground in the N.P. I will fit so will be going there.
I use the internet to book the places I'm heading to come friday. All have spots large enough for my Voltage. Oh yea parking it when not in use is no problem I live on 5 acres. My brothers TT & son's 5th wheel are parked also.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0009.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	2325

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0014.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	2326
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #19

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
Aaron

Hang in there, 10 years went quick for me, I hope to have the Toy Hauler for 10 years, then go back to a Truck Camper, now that they have Slide outs.
Different strokes for different folks. Between my 42' Voltage and my 8 1/2' Truck Camper. The truck camper wins hands down. This stupid Voltage can't see the really great places.

The Voltage is good for the desert and the dunes and a few of the newer RV Parks. Other than that it ain't worth $hit. Just my opinion. Everybody has one.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:29 AM   #20

Colorado
Oh come one Arlan, its not that bad!! We've been able to find an RV park that will fit our monster rig just about everywhere we have wanted to go.

One thing...being baby boomers...retired four years now...we're finding that if you want to get in the good parks at the good places...you better make your reservations a year in advance!! No less than six months! And I'm thinking as time goes one...its gonna get worse!!

Pirate