New to TTs - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2020, 11:47 PM   #1

Michigan
New to TTs

I have been camping all of my life. Never in a RV or trailer. Always tenting it. We broke down and bought a 2002 Dutchmen Sport 19T-D. Seems to be in good shape. A few minor issues found so far. Working through them. Cleaning as we go, sealing is next on the list. Looking forward to getting out in it a couple of times this year at least before we have to get ready for winter! New to this forum also.

mjmmkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:38 PM   #2

Wisconsin
Welcome

Welcome to Dutchmen owner's!

Check back often. Let us know what you find.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:44 PM   #3

California
Be sure to check the manufacture date on the tires. If older than 4-5 years and TT has been sitting, change them before hitting the road. A lot of us recommend the Goodyear Endurance trailer tires, they are US made and tow and track good. Tires are not the place to save money.

Also look around the various forums for helpful hints with a TT. Or ask here lots of good input.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:15 PM   #4

Michigan
Sounds good. The PO said he had new tires out on it when he got it, and he only owned it for two plus years. I will definitely check. Especially the spare as I don't believe that has been changed recently. What is the best way to jack up a tandem while on the roadside? I've started thinking about all the "necessities" and that along with a lug wrench that actually fits the lugs on the trailer were on my last.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:23 PM   #5

Michigan
I had to replace one of the stabilizers and have noted that the fresh water tank sits on a piece of angle iron that is slightly bent which I'll replace. Several seals need replacing around the fold outs and door. Biggest issue that I have found is the front fold out that stores at an angle has damage to it. Looks like it took on water at one point and weakened the internal board. I think that will make it until next season's repair list though. Using a piece of plywood to span the area for now. And i will go through and recaulk that area here shortly. That is what I have found so far.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:25 PM   #6

Michigan
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AUoVdBEgTAv2nw8e9
Old 08-22-2020, 11:10 PM   #7

California
Use a bottle jack under the axle spring mount etc for the wheel you want off the ground. Trailer frames are not good for jacking up off the ground.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:32 PM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
Use a bottle jack under the axle spring mount etc for the wheel you want off the ground. Trailer frames are not good for jacking up off the ground.
Good to know. Probably would have been the first place I would have put a jack! Thx.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:21 PM   #9

Minnesota
Regarding jacking up the trailer, just read an article in Trailer Life suggesting not to jack up the trailer using the axle. Instead, use the frame. Axles are hollow and can bend. They are not designed to support the weight of the trailer. I suggest doing some research and talking with a trusted RV repair shop before jacking up the trailer. I admit that I have not jacked up either TT I have owned, so my suggestion is by reference only. Good luck with your new adventure.
Snowman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:50 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
^^^ THIS ^^^ I have a bottle jack ready for under the axle since I have floating axles so I can't raise one and raise them both.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:03 PM   #11

California
They also make a device you can drive the other tire on that side up onto that will raise the damaged tire off the ground. They work great. I have used in the past. Much easier and safer than jacking. Looks like a real long tire chock. There is one product called Trailer Aid. Hopefully the link below works. If not just google it.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-T.../dp/B000I4JPZE
Old 09-02-2020, 11:30 AM   #12

Florida
Has anyone used this type of a device on a Morryde suspension?

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote